Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what's the average number of friends on facebook? watch

ReputationRep:
    If I've met someone or they went to my school and I've talked to them more than once or twice, they tend to end up on my Facebook. There's no reason not to have them on there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahl89)
    I have 193.

I don't add strangers.. what d'you mean by 'people who coose not to add randoms are viewed with social suspicion?'
    i mean the way people who have less than 100, seems to be the benchmark, friends are often seen as ''odd''. i have actually heard people say about folk ''hey, did you know she only has x number of friends on facebook''. needless to say these idiots i don't think much of. it seems to be a cliquey thing at college.

i have 109 friends and know them all. it's seen as a low number though and i've had people advise me to get more. but they WOULDN'T be real friends so i think it would be stupid!

ReputationRep:
    260 - I'd say about 10 I dont know. The rest I do, speak to about 30/40 of them regularly.

ReputationRep:
    I have 305 friends. I know close to all of them in real life.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of you have responded saying ''i have x friends, i know almost all of them'' but that is part of my point. I only add FRIENDS. Not people i ''know''.

I play football with 40 people, have 200 in my college year, had 150 from old school who arent at college and about 50 people ive met on the odd night out time to time (but i only have 109 facebook friends). sure i ''know'' these people but i wouldn't invite them all to a best mate get together or anything. so although they are acquaintances they are not friends, so i dont add them. i regularly refuse requests on these grounds. i mean why add some guy who sits on the other side of economics class but doesnt even talk to me?

and this is my point, there is an increasing blurring of the line between people you know and people you're mates with. and it's a sad move imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    i mean the way people who have less than 100, seems to be the benchmark, friends are often seen as ''odd''. i have actually heard people say about folk ''hey, did you know she only has x number of friends on facebook''. needless to say these idiots i don't think much of. it seems to be a cliquey thing at college.

i have 109 friends and know them all. it's seen as a low number though and i've had people advise me to get more. but they WOULDN'T be real friends so i think it would be stupid!
    that is crazy!! i dont know anyone who would say stuff like that or judge people on the number of facebook friends they have!!

ReputationRep:
    I have over 500 but I am at uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    a lot of you have responded saying ''i have x friends, i know almost all of them'' but that is part of my point. I only add FRIENDS. Not people i ''know''.

I play football with 40 people, have 200 in my college year, had 150 from old school who arent at college and about 50 people ive met on the odd night out time to time. sure i ''know'' these people but i wouldn't invite them all to a best mate get together or anything. so although they are acquaintances they are not friends, so i dont add them. i regularly refuse requests on these grounds. i mean why add some guy who sits on the other side of economics class but doesnt even talk to me?

and this is my point, there is an increasing blurring of the line between people you know and people you're mates with. and it's a sad move imo
    People have added me from uni who i dont know loads well, but no one knows anyonevery well at the start, while its making friends so its handy for organising things like socials & ive got all my tutor group added on there cause otherwise its just a complete logistical nightmare getting everyone together when we need to,, i have most of my year from my old school on there but there was only 40ish of us so everyone knew each other quite well, then theres my really good friends, flatmates, people i just randomly know well enough that id have a chat with them if i saw them out etc, and i see most of them quite regularly / contact them, so although they arent all my best of friends i think i can justify having everyone on there!

ReputationRep:
    I have just under 200 friends on facebook, I know all of them in real life and I have them there as an easy way to contact them if I need them. For example, there is one person I am friends with on facebook who I spoke to a bit but wasn't particularly friends with, but recently needed their help with something and so I sent them a message on facebook, its alot easier than having everyone's emails and most people check their facebook semi regularly. I use it just to have a chat about when we were younger or to ask people things if I need help or info on a topic that I know they know alot about...

ReputationRep:
    I have 76: 4 family members, mostly friends from school, a couple of friends of friends who I've met and a couple of people who help out at my drama group. I never accept requests from people I haven't met, it seems stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook isn't like Myspace where there's social whores who want a million friends. It's why I prefer it nowadays.

I have roughly 300 friends but do know a lot of people - I'd say I know around 260, but I've lived in two places, know people through projects, and add just about any old classmate that I see.

The average seems to be, for those who use it most days, around 175.

ReputationRep:
    160 but I sort of prove your point as I don't have anywhere near that many in real life. But it's not even a result of adding randomers that I have that many, it's randomers adding me. As for being viewed with social suspicion, I actually view people with 300 + 'friends' with suspicion because i can't see how it's physically possible to maintain close friendships with that many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angrybanana)
    160 but I sort of prove your point as I don't have anywhere near that many in real life. But it's not even a result of adding randomers that I have that many, it's randomers adding me. As for being viewed with social suspicion, I actually view people with 300 + 'friends' with suspicion because i can't see how it's physically possible to maintain close friendships with that many people.
    If you're only adding close friends, then yes. But someone like me adds people I'd, for example, talked to and been friends with at school, or in first year college, who I now no longer see. They might not be close friends, but I do know them. That said I don't know over 300 people, I have about 40-50 added who I'll probably delete at some point in the near future.

I think Facebook's different to Myspace in that Myspace can be a good tool for getting to know new people, whereas Facebook is - in my opinion - far better for keeping track of people you know, who you may otherwise lose contact with. I tend to reject random adds on Facebook unless I have a lot of 'mutual friends' with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)

I play football with 40 people, have 200 in my college year, had 150 from old school who arent at college and about 50 people ive met on the odd night out time to time (but i only have 109 facebook friends). sure i ''know'' these people but i wouldn't invite them all to a best mate get together or anything. so although they are acquaintances they are not friends, so i dont add them. i regularly refuse requests on these grounds. i mean why add some guy who sits on the other side of economics class but doesnt even talk to me?

I don't understand why it's sad tbh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBillyBrownx)
    I don't understand why it's sad tbh?
    only in my view. I think it's healthy to have a group of people who are closer to you than the rest. I can understand the argument of adding lots of people for matters of convenience but even beyond facebook there seems to be a social trend away from having a small but close knit and genuine friendship group to just saying anyone'll do for the sake of looking a bit more popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    i mean why add some guy who sits on the other side of economics class but doesnt even talk to me?
    why not add him? I don't get your argument (as far as it can be called one). Facebook is a social networking site, not a log of your best friends in the whole world forever and ever, amen.

ReputationRep:
    i have 130. My dad has 340 :o: tis shameful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    why not add him? I don't get your argument (as far as it can be called one). Facebook is a social networking site, not a log of your best friends in the whole world forever and ever, amen.
    i didnt say i'd never be friend with him. however, i find it sad that the internet has replaced dialogue as the means to make friends with people. Surely the polite thing for anybody to do is approach somebody first and then when they become friends add them online.

ReputationRep:
    I have about 300, I know all of them from real life (as opposed to the internet) but admittedly there's which I barely talk to.

ReputationRep:
    I have 60 friends and know almost all of them , theres a couple of people on there that I havent seen for years. Its nice to know how they"re doing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.