AQA A Level chemistry

Watch this thread
anon25x
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can the ka equation only be used for weak acids and strong bases ? Also when is the kw equation-ionic product of water- used please?
ElegantLampshade
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
See attached notes. Hope it helps.

If you're still unsure, watch this video about Kw... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCfeqnWdoM

Good luck!
Attached files
ElegantLampshade
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Name:  Whiteboard.png
Views: 12
Size:  99.3 KBsorry, links to notes did not work!
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anon25x)
Can the ka equation only be used for weak acids and strong bases ? Also when is the kw equation-ionic product of water- used please?
Ka, the acid dissociation constant, is a type of equilibrium constant.

In strong acids there is complete dissociation, so an equilibrium is effectively not established.

Ka should only be used for weak acids when the molecular acid, HA is in equilibrium with its conjugate base, A-.

HA(aq) <==> H+(aq) + A-(aq)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.86%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.4%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (73)
51.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads