Transferring universities after foundation year

Watch this thread
username4619592
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am currently in yr 13 just about to finish college. I did btec level 3 applied science and am predicted DDD hopefully that's what I get. I got In uclan (insurance) and into mmu (firm) for computer science but decided I want to do a foundation yr. (Haven't done maths since I was 15 :*) I was wondering could I transfer to a better uni, a Russel group after my foundation year? I will also try through clearing tho. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
'Transfers' aren't really a thing in the UK. Instead what needs to happen in the vast majority of cases is withdrawal from your current institution and reapplication via UCAS to the new one.

As to whether or not it's possible, the answer is really 'it depends', and the best way to get more solid advice is to speak to admissions at the institution to which you plan to switch. I'm not sure what difference a foundation year would make. They generally are only bothered about your A Levels/equivalent even when you switch out after a year.
Last edited by gjd800; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You’d be better off taking a year out to sit Maths A level in a year. That will cost a lot less and give you many more options
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username4619592)
Hi, I am currently in yr 13 just about to finish college. I did btec level 3 applied science and am predicted DDD hopefully that's what I get. I got In uclan (insurance) and into mmu (firm) for computer science but decided I want to do a foundation yr. (Haven't done maths since I was 15 :*) I was wondering could I transfer to a better uni, a Russel group after my foundation year? I will also try through clearing tho. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Universities tend not to take another universities foundation year students. If you dont want to complete the degree in that university dont go there.

To get into an RG university for CS you are going to need A level Maths usually grade A on top of your BTEC. DDD may not be enough anyway.

CS in top universities is basically a Maths degree so you are going to need to take a gap year and achieve the Maths level. Alternatively look at a less Mathematical course.

If you dont have the necessary Maths qualification a university wont take you in clearing. That wont change.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username4619592)
Hi!

If you are looking to do a foundation year and transfer to a different university, i would recommend contacting the other universities you might be interested in to see if they will consider a foundation year from a different institution. Some universities may consider this and some may not at all, therefore, it would be worth reaching out to find out if this will be possible at your chosen university!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads