Career paths

Watch this thread
Ghost159
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Going into sixth form, I'm struggling with what A-levels I have to pick. I've spent years believing I want to go down a dentistry route taking bio, chemistry and maths at A-level but now I'm torn between that and economic, political and maths A-levels; I don't know where that will take me in the future. I've read other people's comments and questions about the two and they both have a lot of pros and cons to them. I want to take the safest route, which would be dentistry, but would find more enjoyment in jobs including more with mathematics and money; some people have said that an economic route may be risky as you may not be as secure in a job as you would be in medical jobs. Picking between them may be critical to my life and I don't want to mess it up. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghost159)
. I want to take the safest route, which would be dentistry
Denistry is now as competitive as Medicine - thousands, yes thousands, of Dentistry applicants this year got no offers at all.

There are plenty of other degrees to take with 3 sciences - Natural Science (multi-discpilinaryscience program), Biomed, Biochem, Genetics,Virology, Immunology, Cancer Biology, Pharmacology/Drug Discovery, Pharmacy etc etc.

Econ, Politics and Maths woud also leave many degrees and subsequent careers open to you - Economics, Finance, Law, and almost every social science degree you can think of.
UCLan Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Going into sixth form, I'm struggling with what A-levels I have to pick. I've spent years believing I want to go down a dentistry route taking bio, chemistry and maths at A-level but now I'm torn between that and economic, political and maths A-levels; I don't know where that will take me in the future. I've read other people's comments and questions about the two and they both have a lot of pros and cons to them. I want to take the safest route, which would be dentistry, but would find more enjoyment in jobs including more with mathematics and money; some people have said that an economic route may be risky as you may not be as secure in a job as you would be in medical jobs. Picking between them may be critical to my life and I don't want to mess it up. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.
Morning Ghost159,

You aren't alone. Following COVID, there is a lot of unrest regarding careers, continuity and stability. I would suggest, if you haven't already, making a list of pros and cons of the two and making a few comparisons. However, keep in mind that you don't want to be studying something you don't enjoy/don't have an interest in. There is a lot of issues in the economy at the moment, but it all depends on the sector. Dentists are always needed however, as with any medical profession, it is very competitive so you'll want to ensure you have everything you need to stand you in good stead for a place at university (i.e. a great personal statement, work experience, grades, etc.).

If after you've really thought about it yourself you are still unsure, perhaps talk with your teachers/careers team at school/college? If you know anyone in either career then ask them about their job and their sector. Also take a look at https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ for more advice on careers in each profession and what you can do with science/finance based A Levels and degrees - there are many different career paths you can take with either subjects so you aren't limited if what you choose doesn't work out!

Hope this helps,

Chelsea
EmilyClarke24
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year natural sciences student at the uni of Nottingham.

When I was applying, I was also torn between a few different degrees. I ended up choosing natural sciences as I allows me to keep studying pretty much everything I enjoy.
At Nottingham it works by studying 3 sciences in your first year then dropping down to 2 in 2nd and 3rd year. Some of the subjects you could study based of what you have said you are interested in would be:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Cancer sciences
Psychology

There are so many career options or further study after a natural sciences degree so if you found a love for biology over maths you could persue that more or vice versa.
I have left a link below if you think it might interest you and if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/
sxlimzz
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, it really comes down to which side you have more passion for - Dentistry is insanely competitive nowadays, however this should serve as motivation for you! I will say this - choose facilitating subjects more (which happen to be STEM) in order to keep your options open. As for economics and politics, this is also a really good route to follow, and I would also keep that in mind.
My final advice to you could be maybe trying to study 4 A-Levels?? From the career paths you are interested in, you are clearly a hard worker, so I would honestly suggest doing 4 A-Levels, maybe a mix of both career paths you have chosen, to see if you do enjoy the A-Levels and have a passion to carry them on until university.
For example, in my school (I'm not sure if this is all schools, so forgive me if this is different in yours), people could start with Economics, Politics, Maths and Chemistry, and if they weren't feeling a certain A-Level, they could change it. So let's say hypothetically, you weren't enjoying politics as much as you thought, you could change it to Biology, and vice versa, as a way of giving you an experience of the demand of the subject at A-Level! But the best advice I could honestly give you is to just do what makes you happy!
Sorry, this was a bit long, but I hope I helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.86%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.4%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (73)
51.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads