Is this a mistake in the M1 textbook?

Watch this thread
Goldenknight
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  201.4 KB

Question 1 part c

Answer sheet says

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 8
Size:  66.5 KB

I got 0.28m as an answer from the initial position. I have no idea why there is a 2 2/7m written there. Its confusing me so I need a confirmation if my guess is right or not
Last edited by Goldenknight; 1 month ago
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Goldenknight)
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  201.4 KB

Question 1 part c

Answer sheet says

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 8
Size:  66.5 KB

I got 0.28m as an answer from the initial position. I have no idea why there is a 2 2/7m written there. Its confusing me so I need a confirmation if my guess is right or not
From it's initial position, B has already travelled 2m from it's initial position when A hits the ground and travels a further 2/7 m before it stops. 2 + 2/7 = 16/7 By keeping the working in exact fractions and in multiples of g rather than rounded decimal approximations you reach the answer 2/7 for additional travel rather than your 0.28
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
Goldenknight
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
From it's initial position, B has already travelled 2m from it's initial position when A hits the ground and travels a further 2/7 m before it stops. 2 + 2/7 = 16/7 By keeping the working in exact fractions and in multiples of g rather than rounded decimal approximations you reach the answer 2/7 for additional travel rather than your 0.28
Aah I I got it now thanks. Its kind of like B will dangle up when A hits the ground right?

I should have thought. There are some mistakes in the book that is why so thought it could be a mistake too
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Goldenknight)
Aah I I got it now thanks. Its kind of like B will dangle up when A hits the ground right?

I should have thought. There are some mistakes in the book that is why so thought it could be a mistake too
Yep B is connected to A so moves up as much as A falls and then will continue to move upwards for a bit after A hits the ground until gravity brings it to a halt.
As you say there are lots of errors in text books so always worth a check.
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads