Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I sent an email to the priniciple of my college asking for the college to erect the St Georges flag at the front of the campus.

I was told in no uncertain terms that doing so would cause offense to other students/staff/visitors to the college. Under no cicrumstances would this request be granted.

What a sad state of affairs. An English learning institution thinks it's offensive to show national pride and loyaty to England.

ReputationRep:
    'People who enjoy waving flags don't deserve to have one' - Banksy.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it is disgraceful, but i can see where they are coming from, its classed as racism, and therefore it isnt PC.

nothing you can do about it though.

ask them to fly the union jack, and they may be more pleasant to you, as its a symbol of unity....

ReputationRep:
    the first member of the liberal left brigade has signed in. pmsl he's even got a flag in his profile, HYPOCRITE . hypocrisy from the left ,as always.

edit : in response to reply no.1

ReputationRep:
    thats pathetic to be honest. flying a flag causes offence? pah what a terrible excuse.

id fly one anyway to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its racist at all. Thats one thing I always envy the yanks for, every one of them has a 30ft flag pole outside their houses! They are so damn patriotic, and if we are we're arrested and thrown in jail for 25 years.

ReputationRep:
    Just hoist your own pirate flag and see what happens. Stand underneath it with a parrot screaming "YAARRRRR".

ReputationRep:
    Hmm PC gona mad as per usual.

I say we should all email our Uni/college/school and ask if they will erect a flag (Union Jack or St George)!

*Begins email*

ReputationRep:
    Contact the daily mail :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the attiitdue of the first poster(who by the way has a flag on his profile) is the reason we have this PC nonsense.

this kind of attitude is taken by local authorities.

ReputationRep:
    I never stated my attitude, merely quoted someone else, a quote which I believe is thought provoking and contributes to the debate. It bears no relevance whatsoever to my own opinions, hence why it is quoted and attributed to its creator. But please feel free to jump to conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    Uhh isn't the point the fact that it's a St George's flag, rather than the Union Jack? My school had a union jack, surely they'd be more receptive to that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    cannock council force you to remove them or impose fines if you fly them outside the duration of a national event, such as the football or rugby.

next door neighbour was threatened, and told that he had 2 weeks to remove it..
    i might send them an angry letter

ReputationRep:
    Why would they put a flag up because you told them to? I mean, you're just a student right?

Although they probably wouldn't due to the offence thing, it's the easiest excuse to say no if they simply don't want to do so. Kind of like saying you've got no money if a mate asks you to go out and you don't fancy it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tom//)
    i might send them an angry letter
    i cant be arsed to decipher your location, where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    I never stated my attitude, merely quoted someone else, a quote which I believe is thought provoking and contributes to the debate. It bears no relevance whatsoever to my own opinions, hence why it is quoted and attributed to its creator. But please feel free to jump to conclusions.

your quote was a direct insult at me, suggesting that beacuse i chose to recgonize my flag I should be cast off or ignored.

I know your game, and now that I picked you up on it you hide behind the fact you didn't say it directly yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    i cant be arsed to decipher your location, where are you from?
    up north, ill lie to them

ReputationRep:
    It's a disgrace and laws should be made guaranteeing the right to fly the national flag and the flag of the appropriate home nation you are in without any kind of process and free from any kind of limitation.

personally I find too much flag-flying to be the most cringe-making kind of jingoism (a la America) - but to restrict the right to fly the flags is far worse folly and quite frankly an embarassment.

no-one holds the right to be 'offended' by a Union Flag or the flag of the home nation in which they reside - this should be made clear.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tom//)
    up north, ill lie to them
    ah.. go for it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erik.)
    It's a disgrace and laws should be made guaranteeing the right to fly the national flag and the flag of the appropriate home nation you are in without any kind of process and free from any kind of limitation.
    There's no-one preventing you from doing so, but that doesn't mean you can somehow force other people to do it too, in this case a college. There are no limitations on it, although obviously erecting a big flagpole in your garden may raise planning issues - quite properly.

Anyway, I think it would be inappropriate to fly a St George's cross at an educational institution.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.