The Student Room Group

What uni's are good for Biomedical Science?

I did some research into Biomedical Science and I am finding it difficult to figure out which uni's are good for this course.

I have Bristol, Sheffield, Bath written down. These are my top three at the moment but if anyone knows any other uni's which are good for this course I am happy to hear suggestions.

I also have Swansea University down for Biomedical Science but I am confused if this uni even does this course.

Uniguide said it does and the universities official website also said it does however I can't find their entry requirements and course details in the university website.

Does anyone know if Swansea does BSc Biomedical Science because it was actually one of my main choices however now I need to choose which uni I want to go to if Swansea doesn't actually do this course.
i had a look at the swansea website and it looks like the only do biomedical science as a postgrad option not in Bsc. the closest would be Bsc medical sciences.
Reply 2
One important thing to consider is whether or not you want to do a biomed degree that is IBMS accredited. If you want to work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS then make absolutely sure that the degree is accredited by IBMS. If you're not interested in working as a biomedical scientist in the NHS then I guess it doesn't really matter whether it's accredited or not.

It looks like swansea only do applied medical sciences BSc or biomedical sciences MSc.
Original post by SST.513
I did some research into Biomedical Science and I am finding it difficult to figure out which uni's are good for this course.

I have Bristol, Sheffield, Bath written down. These are my top three at the moment but if anyone knows any other uni's which are good for this course I am happy to hear suggestions.

I also have Swansea University down for Biomedical Science but I am confused if this uni even does this course.

Uniguide said it does and the universities official website also said it does however I can't find their entry requirements and course details in the university website.

Does anyone know if Swansea does BSc Biomedical Science because it was actually one of my main choices however now I need to choose which uni I want to go to if Swansea doesn't actually do this course.

Hi @SST.513

It is great to hear you are interested in biomedical science. There are lots of good universities for biomed, including the three you have noted down. A great place to start if you are interested in otherr universities would be to look at university rankings https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/biomedical-sciences. Researching into each of the universities is also important as they will each provide different modules, run differently and offer different opportunities.

If there is no BSc Biomedical Science on Swansea's page, it is unlikely that they offer this. However, you could contact the department to confirm this. Have you looked to see if they do a similar course which is under a different name?

I can give you some insight into Biomed at Southampton, if you are interested.

In your first year, you will do the same modules as biochem/pharmacology/neuroscience students in order to ensure everyone is at the same level moving forward and you have the correct foundation for second year. During this year, you will also have the opportunity to learn more about what you enjoy which will help you choose your optional modules in year 2/3.

In 2nd and 3rd year you then have the options to select modules as well as take some compulsory ones. These optional modules vary from physiology, to proteins and neuroscience. You can also choose modules outside of biological sciences, such as psychology or UOSM modules UOSM modules are run by the university and include global health or ethics of science. There are LOADS of optional modules which enables you to tailor your degree to your interests - this means you degree content may be different to friends on the same course as you.

In 3rd year, you will do a dissertation. This does not need to be a lab dissertation - there are a range of options including science communication, literature projects, Bioscience education and biobuisness. Each of these choices will equip you with a variety of skills which will be helpful in a future career, especially if you know you want to work in education or understand more about science communication etc.

Here is a link to the course content where you can read about what optional modules you can take: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/course...ee-bsc#modules

A recent bonus to doing Biomed at Southampton is the course is now accredited by Royal Society of Biology! You can also have the opportunity to do a placement year between 2nd and 3d year which I could not recommend enough.

My advice to you would be to look at the courses and decide which university is most closely aligned with your interests. For example, do you definitely want to understand more about neuroscience?

Lauren
(BSc Biology - Uni of Southampton Rep)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending