The Student Room Group

Laptop for engineering

I'm going to be studying engineering at uni next year. Could anyone recommend a good laptop and tablet for me? Ig I don't really have a budget but I'd rather not spend a lot of money on them.
Original post by Itsmikeysfault
I'm going to be studying engineering at uni next year. Could anyone recommend a good laptop and tablet for me? Ig I don't really have a budget but I'd rather not spend a lot of money on them.

Figure out if the uni will provide you with equipment to run CAD and analysis software like FEA. If you have to do it on your own device, you will need a good laptop. If you check out solidworks or autocad requirements you'll get to see the bare minimum to run them.

I would strongly recommend windows based laptops. The sort of brands I'd be looking at are lenovo (If you're going for something better but maybe a bit more expensive. They are extremely durable though which is kinda important when youre planning to carry the laptop around with you.) or HP since it offers broad variety, including some cheap, reliable, portable models.
Original post by Mara1680
Figure out if the uni will provide you with equipment to run CAD and analysis software like FEA. If you have to do it on your own device, you will need a good laptop. If you check out solidworks or autocad requirements you'll get to see the bare minimum to run them.

I would strongly recommend windows based laptops. The sort of brands I'd be looking at are lenovo (If you're going for something better but maybe a bit more expensive. They are extremely durable though which is kinda important when youre planning to carry the laptop around with you.) or HP since it offers broad variety, including some cheap, reliable, portable models.

I emailed the university and this is the response I gotScreenshot_20220711-1753032.png
Thanks I'll try have a look at those brands

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending