why did I get an offer?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm asking this purely because I want to know why I got an offer from this uni. I applied to UCL for BA Comparative Literature w/ Year Abroad. Entry reqs are AAA and my predicted UCAS grades are AAB. I've heard of ppl getting rejected from similar courses with predictions of A*A*A. Given that UCL is competitive I was fully expecting rejection, but they gave me an offer (AAA). I did not get an interview. I'm a UK student, not fluent in the language I've chosen (but take it at A level). I read some French in my spare time and I've taught myself how to read some Japanese and now starting to learn Hangeul purely for fun. I go to a state sixth form and I don't get contextual offers, nor am I from a socially disadvantaged background.

Does anyone know how UCL chooses their successful applicants? I'm just intrigued as to why they've picked me even though I don't even meet the basic entry reqs. Does this also mean that I still have a chance at getting in, even if I get my original grades of AAB or even ABB? I just feel like I don't really deserve my place and I have no idea why they've accepted me.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm asking this purely because I want to know why I got an offer from this uni. I applied to UCL for BA Comparative Literature w/ Year Abroad. Entry reqs are AAA and my predicted UCAS grades are AAB. I've heard of ppl getting rejected from similar courses with predictions of A*A*A. Given that UCL is competitive I was fully expecting rejection, but they gave me an offer (AAA). I did not get an interview. I'm a UK student, not fluent in the language I've chosen (but take it at A level). I read some French in my spare time and I've taught myself how to read some Japanese and now starting to learn Hangeul purely for fun. I go to a state sixth form and I don't get contextual offers, nor am I from a socially disadvantaged background.

Does anyone know how UCL chooses their successful applicants? I'm just intrigued as to why they've picked me even though I don't even meet the basic entry reqs. Does this also mean that I still have a chance at getting in, even if I get my original grades of AAB or even ABB? I just feel like I don't really deserve my place and I have no idea why they've accepted me.
From your academic history, personal statement and reference together with predicted grades they think you might be a good fit for their course IF you can actually stretch yourself and achieve their conditional offer. My experience with UCL in general (not specifically your course or subject area) is that acceptance if you don't meet the offer isn't that common. If you get your place there, you've earned it and fully deserve it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (118)
40.55%
They're exactly what I expected (70)
24.05%