The Student Room Group

Bristol gateway to medicine (6 years) vs Newcastle Medicine (5 years)

For context, I'm a gap year student with achieved grades who reapplied this year. I studied physics chemistry and maths in A level, so I don't have much knowledge in biology.

I firmed Bristol in June but I just got an offer for Newcastle and the deadline is in 2 days.

I know if I choose NCL I'd save a year of money and accommodations are cheaper, but the city of Bristol is smaller and I heard the social life is more fun. Also, Bristol uses SBAs while Newcastle assesses you in other ways as well. Since I didn't do biology A level I'm not sure how hard it will be to start 1st year straight away.

I was hoping for advice on where I should go and hear your experiences as well? I'm lost on what to do.

Thanks
Reply 1
any help is appreciated!
Have no knowledge about either of those courses but from my experience, there was literally a handful of topics from A-Level biology that was relevant to me at medical school. I personally wouldn't do an extra year if my only reason for doing it was having not done A-Level biology.
Hi, often with a gateway year you’re not guaranteed to get onto the medicine course next year so I would definitely take the Newcastle Med course over the other one
Reply 4
Original post by girl_in_black
Have no knowledge about either of those courses but from my experience, there was literally a handful of topics from A-Level biology that was relevant to me at medical school. I personally wouldn't do an extra year if my only reason for doing it was having not done A-Level biology.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was worth doing a foundation year if I'm not confident so this does help

Original post by themasterchef
Hi, often with a gateway year you’re not guaranteed to get onto the medicine course next year so I would definitely take the Newcastle Med course over the other one

Also true It's not guaranteed, I just wasn't sure since I know if Bristol wasn't gateway, I'd choose it in a heartbeat! But the extra year does make a difference...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending