The Student Room Group

How to kick out tenants from hell

Scroll to see replies

It's a high-risk low-reward strategy but you could force them out. Like spraying their room with stink bombs, call the police claiming child and substance abuse as well as threatening behaviour, or you could just hire some big people to force them out and throw all of their stuff out. Like have them kick down the door and just check them out. Again I said high-risk low-reward strategy but it could work
Original post by Anonymous
I am a landlord stuck in a loophole where the tenants have not signed a contract to live at the shared accommodation after the first one ended, they ignored out many emails, messages, calls and threw it in the bin and now they are messing up the place, breaching everything in the contract since they haven't signed it.

The place they live in is like a pigsty, the baby is always crying- keeping us up, they slam the doors and have gatherings at unsociable hours with screaming etc..

It is like hell and I don't know what to do. I am depressed and am looking for any way for these demons to leave since they are now having another baby in the tiny place they live at.

If anyone can provide any advice, it would be hugely appreciated

i don’t know what the involved legalities might be but disable water, heating and electricity. start to change locks. etc
Original post by Admit-One
Quick google: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/squatting/

"You can't be arrested if you first entered the property with the owner's permission, for example, as a tenant or a licensee.

You also can't be arrested if your tenancy or licence has come to an end but you haven't yet moved out, or you're behind with your rent. In these circumstances, your landlord must give you notice and in most cases, go to court to evict you and repossess the property."

General info from a tenants POV (but an easy to read format): https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_notices_from_private_landlords

All the docs you need and what to do from a landords POV: https://www.nrla.org.uk/resources/ending-your-tenancy

PRSOM
--
I was pretty sure this type of thing requires formal eviction, maybe you can change the locks if they all exit the property during the day or something but im not sure if that's legal or what security issues you'll generate...
Original post by StriderHort
Yea, it's not a road I'd want to go down - unless they were acting up to the point of calling the police immediately and at that point you and/or the police are directly asking neighbours as witnesses, things have already past the point of polite return then.

At this stage, all a petition or verbal assurances from a neighbour does is help convince you and you already want them out. Your essential problems with them are contract, damage and lack of communication right? the thing is neighbours can't comment on 2 of those and the 3rd (damage) is only if the see of hear something outside themselves :/

Are they still paying their previously agreed rent on time?

They are paying but sometimes not on time
i don’t know what the involved legalities might be but disable water, heating and electricity. start to change locks. etc

I am pretty sure it is illegal and a protected right for the tenant :frown:
They are paying but sometimes not on time

Do they owe you any rental arrears or late payment penalties?
What is your lawyer doing or advising you?
Original post by londonmyst
Do they owe you any rental arrears or late payment penalties?

no they do not, they do not pay 2 weeks late
Original post by Kutie Karen
What is your lawyer doing or advising you?

they are useless and not really doing anything. If it doesn't work out I will change to the no win no fee legal company mentioned before.
Original post by mnot
maybe you can change the locks if they all exit the property during the day or something but im not sure if that's legal or what security issues you'll generate...

A dodgy landlord tried this with me years ago, had no hesitation in putting the door in to get my things and a message sent to the local landlord along the lines of 'If I find one thing missing your door is next', so yea, it did somewhat provoke matters.
Original post by StriderHort
A dodgy landlord tried this with me years ago, had no hesitation in putting the door in to get my things and a message sent to the local landlord along the lines of 'If I find one thing missing your door is next', so yea, it did somewhat provoke matters.

It does sound slightly different in the current occupiers are squatters rather than legitimate tenants.

You do risk provoking them, I guess it’s just what are willing to risk (and what legal ramifications their are).
Original post by mnot
It does sound slightly different in the current occupiers are squatters rather than legitimate tenants.

You do risk provoking them, I guess it’s just what are willing to risk (and what legal ramifications their are).

I'm literally going back 20+ years here, but my situation wasn't so different, it was 3 of us in the flat and 1 was a relative of the landlord... but they were taking our rent payments and passing them off as theirs for quite some time, so when the landlord started getting angry about non payment/contract breaches they were technically in the right.

But yeah I was too young and angry to care if they called the cops, as far as I was concerned they had locked up all my possessions and I was taking them back. I doubt they would have much of a legal leg to stand on after they had done that, tbh all I'd need to say is "They locked my medication away from me with no warning" and the whole tone changes, and as I said before, it then opens the possibility that they have illegally removed things from the property and brings violent trouble to their own doorstep.

(And yes, the ratbag flatmate well and truly got what was coming to him :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending