clearing and personal statements?

Watch this thread
jan33
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
might miss my current offer come results day, quite a high chance actually haha. and honestly I've been questioning for several months now If I actually want to do this course at all. I've not decided anything yet, but I'm considering doing a massive 180 to an unrelated course. If I apply through clearing, how does that work? Do clearing unis, read you personal statement, does it make it harder to get an offer if your PS is for a different course?

I actually have a personal statement for the course(s) I'm considering, I wrote 3 different ones last summer because I was so conflicted over courses lol, can I refine one and submit it as an alternative PS through clearing.

thanks for any advice x
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jan33)
might miss my current offer come results day, quite a high chance actually haha. and honestly I've been questioning for several months now If I actually want to do this course at all. I've not decided anything yet, but I'm considering doing a massive 180 to an unrelated course. If I apply through clearing, how does that work? Do clearing unis, read you personal statement, does it make it harder to get an offer if your PS is for a different course?

I actually have a personal statement for the course(s) I'm considering, I wrote 3 different ones last summer because I was so conflicted over courses lol, can I refine one and submit it as an alternative PS through clearing.

thanks for any advice x
Hi there.

Admit-One or artful_lounger could help.

Best wishes.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I've actually applied through clearing before to different courses at the same time and got offers from them so definitely wasn't a problem then!

They usually just ask you send a PS by email. It's not that uncommon for people to change the course they're applying to when they go through clearing, and unis are generally more interested in getting bums in seats to worry about the reasons for the change (usually, anyway).
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They wont care - as above, all they want to know about is 'grades' abd quicly silling spaces at that stage, and they wont want to waste time asking for a new PS. Just be aware that the course/Uni you want may not be in Clearing and you may need to reapply in the autumn for 5 new choices - and with a new PS
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bear in mind that the majority of clearing offers are dished out over the phone by temp staff, they simply don’t have the time or experience to review personal statements. They’re there to confirm your grades and that’s about it.

A small number of courses might ask for a new PS, but your existing one won’t disadvantage you.
abbyewington
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jan33)

thanks for any advice x
Hi, my name is Abby and I am a student ambassador at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln. When you apply through clearing, you will speak to a university over the phone. They will ask what grades you have received and may ask why you want to apply for a specific course. Because clearing is so busy, we don't have the time to read lots of personal statements! Some universities may ask you to send them further information or attend an interview to make sure you are right for that course.

Hope this helps and good luck with everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.91%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (23)
34.33%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.46%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.49%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.45%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.9%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.48%

Watched Threads