Accommodation exchange student

Watch this thread
Jad_kt
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a final year exchange student at UoE (starting this September ),currently studying in France . I am having a hard time making my accommodation choice considering that my budget is modest , trying to stay near George square and would like to avoid living mainly with 1st year students. Can you please tell me witch 5 buildings do you think would suit me best .
Thank you for your answers
maccallum
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jad_kt)
I'm a final year exchange student at UoE (starting this September ),currently studying in France . I am having a hard time making my accommodation choice considering that my budget is modest , trying to stay near George square and would like to avoid living mainly with 1st year students. Can you please tell me witch 5 buildings do you think would suit me best .
Thank you for your answers
Can you list the buildings that you are being offered?
Jad_kt
Rep:
(Original post by maccallum)
Can you list the buildings that you are being offered?
There are others but having heard that the food in catered accommodation wasn't that good and having a limited budget these are the ones i can choose from :
Warrender Park Road
Warrender Park Crescent
South Clerk Street
Sciennes
Robertsons Close
Nicolson South College Street
Mylnes Court
Kitchener House
kincaids Court
Hermit's Croft
Fraser Court
East Newington Place
College Wynd
David Horn House
Blackwood Crescent/Causewayside
maccallum
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There are others but having heard that the food in catered accommodation wasn't that good and having a limited budget these are the ones i can choose from :
Warrender Park Road
Warrender Park Crescent
South Clerk Street
Sciennes
Robertsons Close
Mylnes Court
Kitchener House
kincaids Court
Hermit's Croft
Fraser Court
East Newington Place
College Wynd
David Horn House

Not the news that you wanted but that is the same list that the first years are given to choose from. Maybe you could ask if there is any space for continuing students available.
Jad_kt
Rep:
Not the news that you wanted but that is the same list that the first years are given to choose from. Maybe you could ask if there is any space for continuing students available.
Thank you for your answer . I did just that and am now waiting for their reply .
North London1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Warrender Park Road
Warrender Park Crescent
South Clerk Street
Sciennes
Robertsons Close
Mylnes Court
Kitchener House
kincaids Court
Hermit's Croft
Fraser Court
East Newington Place
College Wynd
David Horn House
Don't stay in Kinkaid's Court , Robertsons Close or College Wynd as they are at or beside the main clubbing and drinking part of Edinburgh and are noisy and generally attract party students.

Fraser Court is by the excellent sports centre but has no common room and lots of students studying sport and subjects where proximity to the centre will choose it. The downside is no common room.

Kitchener House and David Horn House are far from George Square.

Hermits Croft is fairly central, cheap and meant to be nice in a quieter way, though no common room.

I toured with my daughter at the end of May, and the nicest ones with character we found were Mynes Court, amazing large rooms, some with view across to Princess Street and as far as Fife, right next to the castle, 10 mins walk to George Square and was post graduate until this year. She also liked Warrender park crescent, which is in an old school facing the Meadows and the castle. It's a 15 minute walk through the park, and you can walk to lectures without crossing a road!

I'm guessing that whatever you choose you have the 5 choices. My daughter chose both room sizes at WPC and all 3 sizes at Mylnes, and was given the biggest room size at WPC with a view of the meadows and castle. She's gap year (19) so wanted something sociable but not party (and she's currently away at Outlook Festival with 8 friends!), where she can focus.
maccallum
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by North London1)
Fraser Court is by the excellent sports centre but has no common room and lots of students studying sport and subjects where proximity to the centre will choose it. The downside is no common room.
Are you thinking of Darroch Court?

Fraser Court is on Dalkeith Road, near the Commonwealth Pool, connected to Pollock Halls?
North London1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you thinking of Darroch Court?

Fraser Court is on Dalkeith Road, near the Commonwealth Pool, connected to Pollock Halls?
Thank you, yes. We visited so many. Fraser Court is self- catered adjacent to Pollock with a common room and 20 minutes walk from George Square. Darrock Court wasn't on the list, so I guess that the OP doesn't have it as an option. I tried to change my post to correct it but the option has gone. Thanks for pointing it out
Last edited by North London1; 1 month ago
Jad_kt
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by North London1)
Don't stay in Kinkaid's Court , Robertsons Close or College Wynd as they are at or beside the main clubbing and drinking part of Edinburgh and are noisy and generally attract party students.

Kitchener House and David Horn House are far from George Square.

Hermits Croft is fairly central, cheap and meant to be nice in a quieter way, though no common room.

I toured with my daughter at the end of May, and the nicest ones with character we found were Mynes Court, amazing large rooms, some with view across to Princess Street and as far as Fife, right next to the castle, 10 mins walk to George Square and was post graduate until this year. She also liked Warrender park crescent, which is in an old school facing the Meadows and the castle. It's a 15 minute walk through the park, and you can walk to lectures without crossing a road!

I'm guessing that whatever you choose you have the 5 choices. My daughter chose both room sizes at WPC and all 3 sizes at Mylnes, and was given the biggest room size at WPC with a view of the meadows and castle. She's gap year (19) so wanted something sociable but not party (and she's currently away at Outlook Festival with 8 friends!), where she can focus.
Thank you very much for your answer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.6%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.8%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (67)
53.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4%

Watched Threads