Hiim
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 12 taking maths, physics and a BTEC IT. I want to apply for Bsc in data science at LSE, but I take a btec so I’m worried my application isn’t as competitive. I couldn’t take further maths as my school doesn’t offer it. I also got a C in my EPQ, so is LSE out if the question? You can be brutally honest as it will save me from wasting 1 of my 5 options.
mellows21
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Is the BTEC a certificate (4 units) /foundation diploma (6 units)/ National diploma (8 units)/ ?

The most important subject for data sciences is evidently maths alevel, which you have already taken.
Data sciences at LSE usually has an AAA grade course requirement, with an A in Mathematics being key.
If combined with a BTEC diploma (Unit size 4-8) for an AAA course, you are going to require:
D (4-6 units) or DD (8 units) with AA in your alevels, those 2 alevels being only traditional subjects ( your Maths and Physics)

You are correct in assuming your application might not be as competitive as someone following a 3 Alevel pathway, however considering your addition of an EPQ and the possibility of you exceeding the Distinction grade requirement in your btec and achieving D* or D*D/D*D* which is arguably easier to achieve due to its coursework nature compared to alevels, it is very much possible.

I'd go for it anyways.
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The C grade in your EPQ would weaken an application to LSE
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hiim)
I’m in year 12 taking maths, physics and a BTEC IT. I want to apply for Bsc in data science at LSE, but I take a btec so I’m worried my application isn’t as competitive. I couldn’t take further maths as my school doesn’t offer it. I also got a C in my EPQ, so is LSE out if the question? You can be brutally honest as it will save me from wasting 1 of my 5 options.
Is your school in England?
Hiim
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Is your school in England?
I know what your going to say sir, my school could have offered FM, but I was never made aware of this until 2 months ago! I’m thinking of doing an AS in further maths, how can I apply for such an opportunity?
Hiim
Rep:
(Original post by mellows21)
Is the BTEC a certificate (4 units) /foundation diploma (6 units)/ National diploma (8 units)/ ?

The most important subject for data sciences is evidently maths alevel, which you have already taken.
Data sciences at LSE usually has an AAA grade course requirement, with an A in Mathematics being key.
If combined with a BTEC diploma (Unit size 4-8) for an AAA course, you are going to require:
D (4-6 units) or DD (8 units) with AA in your alevels, those 2 alevels being only traditional subjects ( your Maths and Physics)

You are correct in assuming your application might not be as competitive as someone following a 3 Alevel pathway, however considering your addition of an EPQ and the possibility of you exceeding the Distinction grade requirement in your btec and achieving D* or D*D/D*D* which is arguably easier to achieve due to its coursework nature compared to alevels, it is very much possible.

I'd go for it anyways.
I’m doing the BTEC extended certificate that’s worth 1 a level. I believe a Distinction is equivalent to an A, but I’m not sure what LSE would offer
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hiim)
I know what your going to say sir, my school could have offered FM, but I was never made aware of this until 2 months ago! I’m thinking of doing an AS in further maths, how can I apply for such an opportunity?
Yes - all schools can offer F Maths tuition through AMSP - talk to your school, There's absolutely no excuse as every school has been informed.

https://amsp.org.uk/teachers/a-level...tudent-tuition
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.58%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (42)
25.45%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.45%

Watched Threads