Does car insurance go up if you let ur insurance company know about a minor bump?

Watch this thread
SongBird2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I accidentally rolled back into another car behind me when I was driving up a hill. It was a minor bump and there was no damage caused to his vehicle. But he drove off before I could get his details. I am going to let my insurance company know about the incident incase he files a claim without me knowing. Would this lead to an increase in the price of insurance despite no claims being made?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I shouldn't think so, they cannot allocate blame or costs at this stage, big difference between informing of a potential claim and actually making a claim.

The other driver deciding to leave without exchanging details makes a claim against you unlikely. (you could essentially claim they fled the scene of an accident without providing details if you chose)

I had to inform my insurer about some hit & run damage to my car a while ago, I just emailed with the description, police ref number and made it clear the damage was less than my excess (650) and would cover it myself, didn't hear a word back.
SongBird2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I shouldn't think so, they cannot allocate blame or costs at this stage, big difference between informing of a potential claim and actually making a claim.

The other driver deciding to leave without exchanging details makes a claim against you unlikely. (you could essentially claim they fled the scene of an accident without providing details if you chose)

I had to inform my insurer about some hit & run damage to my car a while ago, I just emailed with the description, police ref number and made it clear the damage was less than my excess (650) and would cover it myself, didn't hear a word back.
Yeah that's what I'm doing, I'm informing of a potential claim. As you said I don't think he will make a claim against me because there wasn't any damage to his car. But I'm scared if it gets logged as a minor accident which would result in my insurance premiums going up in the following year since they might think I'd be more likely to be involved in another collision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (73)
67.59%
In the post (5)
4.63%
Text (15)
13.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
13.89%

Watched Threads