mechanics question Suvat equations

Watch this thread
lavely
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For the fourth marking point of part b, the mark scheme used speed=distance/time rather than Suvat. I used the Suvat equation s=1/2(u+v)t and got the wrong answer because of this. I.e. s=1/2(1.83+0)t and then rearranged it to get t2 as 1.2. Can someone explain why they have done so and why I am wrong? thank you
Last edited by lavely; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lavely)
For the fourth marking point of part b, the mark scheme used speed=distance/time rather than Suvat. I used the Suvat equation s=1/2(u+v)t and got the wrong answer because of this. I.e. s=1/2(1.83+0)t and then rearranged it to get t2 as 1.2. Can someone explain why they have done so and why I am wrong? thank you
For that "suvat" phase, acceleration is zero so u=v.
Q has hit the floor, P is travelling with constant velocity.
lavely
Rep:
this makes so much sense, thank you! So I could have used the equation I used but make the U and V both 1.83, which would give the same results as using speed= distance / time
(Original post by mqb2766)
For that "suvat" phase, acceleration is zero so u=v.
Q has hit the floor, P is travelling with constant velocity.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lavely)
this makes so much sense, thank you! So I could have used the equation I used but make the U and V both 1.83, which would give the same results as using speed= distance / time
Of course, the average of the 1.83 and 1.83 is indeed 1.83. Forgetting about the signs (scalar or vector) the y5? speed-distance-time triangle is just suvat with a=0 and all the 5 equations are still valid with this assumptions.
lavely
Rep:
thank you I really appreciate your help
(Original post by mqb2766)
Of course, the average of the 1.83 and 1.83 is indeed 1.83. Forgetting about the signs (scalar or vector) the y5? speed-distance-time triangle is just suvat with a=0 and all the 5 equations are still valid with this assumptions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads