Uni requirement/Mid A-Levels Crisis

Watch this thread
sxlimzz
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't know if this has been done before, but there is no harm in me asking/trying:
Is it possible for me, a Year 12 student with aspirations of studying computer science in UCL, to start studying the whole A-Level Maths course in a year. I know Further Maths students do this but in Y12, but I really want to attend this specific university and A-Level Maths is a requirement. Is it possible for me to self-teach or hire a tutor to try and catch up, as I have already missed a year. I am willing to study throughout the summer, and from what I have heard from varying sources, it is possible. Reason I couldn't study A-Level Maths from beginning of Y12 was because I got a 6 in GCSE and the requirement in my school was a 7. Also, I could've started an A-Level Maths course outside of school in September but I refused (I know, I'm an idiot). Please if anyone knows if it is possible or doable respond, as I am really desperate.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Honestly? UCL is probably not a realistic ambition
If you have only a grade 6 at GCSE, you may find A level Maths a struggle - especially in one year.
And getting a high enough grade for UCL without teaching will be difficult.
You might like to look at degrees with a Foundation year - ie. Manchester - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...undation-year/
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above, doing the full A-level Maths in one year will be a challenge, and also many if not most applicants to UCL CS will also have A-level Further Maths.

Note also CS at degree level is necessarily mathematical, so it's not an arbitrary requirement where you can tick that box and never do maths again. Especially for unis like UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick, etc, there is a lot of maths in the course.

A 6 in GCSE Maths then not continuing with it at A-level because, presumably, you don't really enjoy it that much, suggests to me you may not actually enjoy many CS degrees really. There is far more to CS than programming, and in fact programming is often quite a small part of the degree.
sxlimzz
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, doing the full A-level Maths in one year will be a challenge, and also many if not most applicants to UCL CS will also have A-level Further Maths.

Note also CS at degree level is necessarily mathematical, so it's not an arbitrary requirement where you can tick that box and never do maths again. Especially for unis like UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick, etc, there is a lot of maths in the course.

A 6 in GCSE Maths then not continuing with it at A-level because, presumably, you don't really enjoy it that much, suggests to me you may not actually enjoy many CS degrees really. There is far more to CS than programming, and in fact programming is often quite a small part of the degree.
I do see where you're coming from. I read the outline of the course and it seemed quite maths heavy. For context, I really wanted to pick Maths for A-Level, but as I stated in the first post, my school required a 7 rather than the 6 I obtained. Also, I have looked at other universities besides UCL and for example, in Imperial College London, the Computer Science degree is split into many different avenues, from Security & Reliability, to Software Development, to Robotics and Visual Computing, all with varied levels of Maths being applied, albeit Maths nonetheless. I also wanted to mention how I am currently sitting my End Of Year Assessments in school in my other 3 A-Levels, PE, History and Computer Science, and I am currently predicted A, A, A* in that order, so I know I can study another A-Level. The Math teachers in my school have also offered to help me catch up, and along with private tuition, lots of self study, and the help of my friends, I will honestly try my hardest to try and achieve this, although right now it is a pipe dream. Thank you nonetheless for your input, I really appreciate it!
tobywr_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sxlimzz)
I do see where you're coming from. I read the outline of the course and it seemed quite maths heavy. For context, I really wanted to pick Maths for A-Level, but as I stated in the first post, my school required a 7 rather than the 6 I obtained. Also, I have looked at other universities besides UCL and for example, in Imperial College London, the Computer Science degree is split into many different avenues, from Security & Reliability, to Software Development, to Robotics and Visual Computing, all with varied levels of Maths being applied, albeit Maths nonetheless. I also wanted to mention how I am currently sitting my End Of Year Assessments in school in my other 3 A-Levels, PE, History and Computer Science, and I am currently predicted A, A, A* in that order, so I know I can study another A-Level. The Math teachers in my school have also offered to help me catch up, and along with private tuition, lots of self study, and the help of my friends, I will honestly try my hardest to try and achieve this, although right now it is a pipe dream. Thank you nonetheless for your input, I really appreciate it!
Haha I got a 6 in GCSE maths too. For some reason my school allowed me to take A-Level maths, but i was advised highly not to do it. Anyways, I’m in first year now and I’m predicted a B. It should’ve been an A, but I made some very dumb mistakes in one of the maths exams and lost like 15 marks in a 75 mark paper. ( retaking in September to get it up to an A hopefully.)

I’m doing Physics and Economics alongside maths, and there are transferable skills between physics and maths, so that helps. But doing the course in one year from a 6 in GCSE is going to be tough. I’d suggest a few resources / websites to use. BTW : I’m also hoping to do CS at Uni too.
Websites - PMT, Maths Genie, RevisionMaths, A-LevelMathsRevision, Exam Solutions.
I’d also use a lot of YouTube videos. TLmaths is a god in my eyes, and explains everything nicely.

Even though I’m doing a-level maths with the help of teachers and only 2 other a-levels, I’m still struggling a fair bit. You’ll need to do lots of questions and you’ll get bored out of your mind, but in the end hopefully it’ll be worth it. A tutor will also be useful.

Good luck!
Last edited by tobywr_; 1 month ago
sxlimzz
Rep:
(Original post by tobywr_)
Haha I got a 6 in GCSE maths too. For some reason my school allowed me to take A-Level maths, but i was advised highly not to do it. Anyways, I’m in first year now and I’m predicted a B. It should’ve been an A, but I made some very dumb mistakes in one of the maths exams and lost like 15 marks in a 75 mark paper. ( retaking in September to get it up to an A hopefully.)

I’m doing Physics and Economics alongside maths, and there are transferable skills between physics and maths, so that helps. But doing the course in one year from a 6 in GCSE is going to be tough. I’d suggest a few resources / websites to use. BTW : I’m also hoping to do CS at Uni too.
Websites - PMT, Maths Genie, RevisionMaths, A-LevelMathsRevision, Exam Solutions.
I’d also use a lot of YouTube videos. TLmaths is a god in my eyes, and explains everything nicely.

Even though I’m doing a-level maths with the help of teachers and only 2 other a-levels, I’m still struggling a fair bit. You’ll need to do lots of questions and you’ll get bored out of your mind, but in the end hopefully it’ll be worth it. A tutor will also be useful.

Good luck!
I really appreciate this bro, it made me feel so much better about actually having a chance, so thank you! Yeah, there were other sixth forms in my area that offered A-Level Maths with a Grade 6, but I wanted to stay at my school so I had to make a decision. I will definitely check out all the resources that you listed, and as for being bored out of my mind, who cares? I'll celebrate and relax once I'm finished Y13. Once again, thank you and I really appreciate your input!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads