The fate of humanities in higher education

Watch this thread
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sheffield Hallam has announced it will be suspending its English Literature degree course after a government crackdown on 'low value' degree courses.

Universities can now face penalties if fewer than 60% are in professional jobs or studying for a further degree within 15 months of graduating.

Is it really a good thing that students are now being pressured into STEM whether they want to or not? Are humanities courses slowly being phased out? I don't agree that universities should exist solely to get students into good jobs and I think we would lose a lot from our culture if humanities degrees die out. What do others think?

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...erature-degree
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I understand why the government is doing it, but it could discourage potential students if they see their chosen course isn't reputable.
Law is a respected course, I hope they don't discourage that one.
Last edited by rosy_posy; 1 month ago
Little pecker
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully more unis follow suit
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This sad news is yet another victim of a rubbish HE funding system
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think that, if things go down that road, people who don't want to study science or maths type courses, or who can't do these subjects, will have their university options curtailed.

There are graduate jobs out there just for graduates, regardless of degree subject.

The way things are going, it could also lead to universities allowing people onto postgraduate courses who are not academically capable of them, in order to achieve their stats.

I understand that certain degrees may be seen as, and probably are, less likely to lead to employment but I don't think that degrees should just be about getting a certain type or level of job. I don't think that education should be solely about this.

Longterm, who will teach English or history in schools if such degrees are phased out or greatly reduced in number? As an example, whilst the government may not care about this, we need historians in society. If you said that I am stretching a point too far then you would probably be right (🙂) but, when I read this about Sheffield Hallam, 'Fahrenheit 451' slipped into my thoughts.

It is arguable that there may be less obvious advantages to job searchers:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...0Anne%20Mangan

There is an argument that there are not enough girls in schools and women in higher education studying STEM subjects and that this is related to gender issues. However, that is a separate issue and banning humanities degrees is not a good thing to do.
Last edited by Cote1; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (151)
40.27%
They're exactly what I expected (94)