Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yup, ICT at my school was *****, none of them knew how to use spreadsheets or word, on several occassions i had to correct the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiwatt)
    Hey,

Is it just my school or is there a rule of thumb for ICT teachers being absolute noobs that know little to nothing real about computing?

My school offers ICT, not Computing at A level - which isn't much good really. One of the modules for A2 ICT is web design. Seeing this woman trying to teach students HTML really makes me cringe, she needs to learn the stuff herself! She acts as if HTML is a complex "language" (yes, she continually refers to it as a language) and is always telling her students to go online and get the HTML for a hit counter.

....I mean WTF?! The HTML for a hit counter? Are you sh*tt*ng me? She has no clue; the basic concepts of HTML, a simply little bit of kiddy coding, are completely vacant in her knowledge. She is meant to mark my classes coursework and she won't have a blind clue about, "What iz dis PHP stufz?"

Considering she has had a nice, cushy job for a decade now you would think she would bother to educate herself a little. Nope! Never bothered to learn HTML seriously, do a bit of client or server side scripting or slice up a website in photoshop? Nope, but she has managed to work her way to the head of department with a nice little salary boost - which she does nothing for considering the only homework she will mark is GCSE, AS and A2 coursework once a year.

Had to rant about this biatch.
    Yeah, my ICT teacher was useless. All she did was flirt with the boys because she was only about 22-24 and she would say to us lot 'Why are you so far behind?'.. duh you stupid cow, you never come and teach us anything or even come over if we need help! So after struggling through year 10 without her help, i decided enough was enough.

So, i ditched her (well not really, she was still the teacher) but decided to learn the whole syllabus myself and did coursework without an inch of her help. Ended up with 94% in coursework and 85%+ in exam :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Web Design within an ICT A-level is never going to be particularly complex.

ReputationRep:
    Just do your own thing. I did at GCSE.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    My ICT teacher is amazing
    She taught me ICT GCSE aswell as A Level, and has always been really helpful, and if she doesn't know the answer to something she'll always look it up for me and explain it.

ReputationRep:
    She acts as if HTML is a complex "language" (yes, she continually refers to it as a language)
    What do you think the "L" stands for?

ReputationRep:
    My ICT Teacher was BAD! Forgot to hand in my coursework, so I didn't get my GCSE in the end! After 2 years work as well..

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about it, most ict teachers i have ever experienced had no idea about most scripting, ok i never had an idiot who didn know how to use HTML, but css is understandable, but HTML, thats been around since the dawn of ict.

How can she now know that.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    What do you think the "L" stands for?
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is it just my school or is there a rule of thumb for ICT teachers being absolute noobs that know little to nothing real about computing?

My school offers ICT, not Computing at A level - which isn't much good really. One of the modules for A2 ICT is web design. Seeing this woman trying to teach students HTML really makes me cringe, she needs to learn the stuff herself! She acts as if HTML is a complex "language" (yes, she continually refers to it as a language) and is always telling her students to go online and get the HTML for a hit counter.

....I mean WTF?! The HTML for a hit counter? Are you sh*tt*ng me? She has no clue; the basic concepts of HTML, a simply little bit of kiddy coding, are completely vacant in her knowledge. She is meant to mark my classes coursework and she won't have a blind clue about, "What iz dis PHP stufz?"

Considering she has had a nice, cushy job for a decade now you would think she would bother to educate herself a little. Nope! Never bothered to learn HTML seriously, do a bit of client or server side scripting or slice up a website in photoshop? Nope, but she has managed to work her way to the head of department with a nice little salary boost - which she does nothing for considering the only homework she will mark is GCSE, AS and A2 coursework once a year.

Had to rant about this biatch.

When I did ICT for GCSE my teacher was a noob too. Continously flirted with boys and those who were bad behaved to try and get them onside. Accused me of not knowing what to do becuase I talked to my friend. NOT TRUE. We didn't even sit near each other. Clearly, I didn't undersntad due to her poor teaching.

My target was AA. First of all I got a CC in the exam. Everyone in my school got this or lower so we ALL had to retake. Funny, they blamed the exam board...:shifty:

Anyway, still only got BB in a subject that if I had been taught properly first time round I could have got AA in.

ReputationRep:
    It's a markup language. Not a language in the real sense of the word.

nope its a language in the real sence of the word

"Language =Communication of thoughts and feelings through a system of arbitrary signals, such as voice sounds, gestures, or written symbols.
    Such a system including its rules for combining its components, such as words.Such a system as used by a nation, people, or other distinct community."

ReputationRep:
    ahh dont worry man, i had a pakistani guy who mainly taught urdu at my school, teach ICT aswell.. i think i ended up teaching him more ict then the other way round

then at AS my teacher was a LAW teacher who had just been told.. oh and you're doing ICT A level/GCSE aswell mmkay? she ****** us all up in the first year.. she didnt know jack ****.. again i felt like the class were teaching her rather than the other way round.. but thank God in A2 i had THE BEST ICT TEACHER in the school.. her main subject was ICT.. thats all she taught and she knew A LOT about it! I ended up getting a B overall thanks to her b/c the skills and stuff she taught me i ended up using to redo my first year work.. i ended up getting A's in my A2 coursework so i was very happy!

ReputationRep:
    It's a markup language. Not a language in the real sense of the word.
    If and when you study computer science you'll think back to this and be very embarrassed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    HTML, thats been around since the dawn of ict.
    Just how new do you think ICT is, then? HTML was first described in 1991.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your so right i do ICT at an AS level,:confused:
    and well Am thinkinq of Dropping that ****
    the teachers are just well laidback and that is so annoying ..

"iDont teach as Ordinary as Other Teachers as you can see Aha! ,We all know none of you GCSE students are going to pass the AS Exams in january, dont worry am just being truthful unlike others!"

LiKE..WHAT? iDont really give a toss if you aint the same as the other Teachers jeez iJust wana get on with it &finito But nah ICT teachers..

right tossers LMAO; they dont do nothing at all
    &Wow did they put Me Off ICT !:yep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Some A level Computing teachers are just as bad... :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.