Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiwatt)
    I think he meant "a long period of time" rather than a specific date in which he has thoroughly wasted his time researching so he could discover the date in which "ICT" was born.
    Well 1991 is not very long ago - hardly the dawn of ICT.

ReputationRep:
    This is the reason not to do ICT.

ReputationRep:
    It's a markup language. Not a language in the real sense of the word.
    If you've studied the theory of computation to such a level that you feel comfortable arbitrarily redefining concepts, what on earth are you doing in an A Level ICT class?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    What do you think the "L" stands for?
    This. Of course it's a language. *sighs*

And my computer programming lecturer was just as bad. Eventually she admitted defeat and gave us booklets to work from, predicted I'd fail because I didn't ask her any questions and I was too quiet and then I waltzed out of there with an A.

Just man up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Just how new do you think ICT is, then? HTML was first described in 1991.

HTML was first described in 1989, when the internet was created at CERN.

So I place the Dawn of ICT in 1989, since it was the first time, we had Information Communication Technology.

Because before that it was just Information Technology as there was no communication. So ICT is VERY NEW only 19 years old.

Your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)

So I place the Dawn of ICT in 1989, since it was the first time, we had Information Communication Technology.

Because before that it was just Information Technology as there was no communication. So ICT is VERY NEW only 19 years old.

Your point?
    So my use of a terminal in a town fifteen miles from the computer it was attached to in the 1970s doesn't count as communications then? My simultaneous use of computers in the USA and Spain from a VDU in Birmingham in 1981 was a figment of my imagination?

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about it, most ict teachers i have ever experienced had no idea about most scripting, ok i never had an idiot who didn know how to use HTML, but css is understandable, but HTML, thats been around since the dawn of ict.

How can she now know that.
    the dawn of ICT is

- a Beeb with spacers and a gap around the case halves to fit more power in in a beeb case than in a Master ...

- a GUI on a Master

HTML is not the start of ICT becasue as others have pointed out we were communicating between computers a long time before that ... hell even the beeb could be used on a LAN or through a modem

- econet!

the fundamanretla problem with teaching computing at school is the fact schools simply cannot afford to keep pace in the arms race

ICT as a subject . like occaisionally some of the wider 'technology' subjects ends yup with the problem of thestudent who knows more than the teacher and has skills in excess of the kit present in school ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    So my use of a terminal in a town fifteen miles from the computer it was attached to in the 1970s doesn't count as communications then? My simultaneous use of computers in the USA and Spain from a VDU in Birmingham in 1981 was a figment of my imagination?
    Cool, point taken.

Just my idea of communication was, the internet, i ommitted previous methods.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is it just my school or is there a rule of thumb for ICT teachers being absolute noobs that know little to nothing real about computing?

My school offers ICT, not Computing at A level - which isn't much good really. One of the modules for A2 ICT is web design. Seeing this woman trying to teach students HTML really makes me cringe, she needs to learn the stuff herself! She acts as if HTML is a complex "language" (yes, she continually refers to it as a language) and is always telling her students to go online and get the HTML for a hit counter.

....I mean WTF?! The HTML for a hit counter? Are you sh*tt*ng me? She has no clue; the basic concepts of HTML, a simply little bit of kiddy coding, are completely vacant in her knowledge. She is meant to mark my classes coursework and she won't have a blind clue about, "What iz dis PHP stufz?"

Considering she has had a nice, cushy job for a decade now you would think she would bother to educate herself a little. Nope! Never bothered to learn HTML seriously, do a bit of client or server side scripting or slice up a website in photoshop? Nope, but she has managed to work her way to the head of department with a nice little salary boost - which she does nothing for considering the only homework she will mark is GCSE, AS and A2 coursework once a year.

Had to rant about this biatch.
    Haha im in the exact same situation, im doing Web Design within ICT because there is no other course here either. And she is exactly the same, my teacher is head of department and doesn't know anything at all, she tried teaching us some HTML and ended up downloading a guide from seom website and giving it to us.

And she told us to get a free hit counter lol ..... once I had the code from the site she told us to go to I just cut the advertising out and she was amazed how it was free without it being clickable etc. Its scary to think she will be marking my coursework and doing another year with us.

And in GCSE my first year teacher let us make a logo for around 9 months, nothing else was achieved and by the end students were watching full length South Park episodes in the lesson o.0 But he got fired and then I had an equally bad teacher who only helped 2-3 students and 2 weeks before our exam told us she had switched us to a short course because of how we were not trying or achieving in her lesson >.>

ICT fails at most of my friends schools aswell .... pointless subject ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    Some A level Computing teachers are just as bad... :/
    Agreed; we used to unplug the monitors on our PC's and tell our teacher our computer wasn't working. She used to call maintenance to "fix the problem", hahaha good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsphyxiateD)
    Agreed; we used to unplug the monitors on our PC's and tell our teacher our computer wasn't working. She used to call maintenance to "fix the problem", hahaha good times.
    Perhaps she thought you weren't such absolute morons as to not have checked for that yourselves.

Clearly she overestimated you.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I had to teach my old IT teacher HTML after school (it was a boarding school) so he could teach everyone else what I taught him.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I thought the World Wide Web was created at CERN, not the Internet itself.

And yes, ICT teachers are almost invariably 'noobs'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    Perhaps she thought you weren't such absolute morons as to not have checked for that yourselves.

Clearly she overestimated you.
    If the plug wasn't literally lying in front of her, perhaps I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, this was not the case.

qq moar plx.

ReputationRep:
    The ICT teachers were crap in my school as well. Most people got D or lower in their GCSE's. And my coursework! I spent ages doing my ICT coursework and the teacher told me I got a C which I was happy about... I got the results sheet in August and it said I got an E for the coursework. I still managed to scrape a C in the exam even though we had no teaching for it! Meaning my overall ICT GCSE grade was a D which I wasn't too happy about. Something needs to be done about ICT teachers!

ReputationRep:
    Surely ICT GCSE is the easiest thing in the world for our generation?

We didn't do it at our school, we had 'Information Technology' instead. Which was all about word processing and easy peasy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why all School computing teachers suck is that those who can, do (and make a LOT more money), and those who can't teach.
    At my school, the head of IT was an art teacher .

ReputationRep:
    I think he meant "a long period of time" rather than a specific date in which he has thoroughly wasted his time researching so he could discover the date in which "ICT" was born.
    As others have said, HTML is a language. As is CSS, Javascript, PHP, Perl, XML (etc etc). They aren't like French, Spanish (etc), but they are languages nonetheless.

Still, sorry to hear about your teacher though. Having someone who can barely teach HTML much suck.

But seriously, teach yourself. You'd probably learn more by viewing the source of this page than sitting in an hour ICT "web design" lecture.

Out of interest, do they teach "web design" by using a table and all? If so, slap your teacher and tell her to learn CSS. Pleease! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    Surely ICT GCSE is the easiest thing in the world for our generation?
    Absolutely not.

While a ridiculous number of young people use computers, far few actually know how to use them effectively - this applies equally to the ones who are "good with computers", if not more so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.