Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please please please keep anon, this girl uses this forum and this would be awful if she read this.

Right, theres a person I know (admittedly we used to be friends but now we're not really close) and she gets EMA, but to be honest her family are LOADED! They live in a huge house, her mum doesn't work because her dad earns so much money. He has businesses so I doubt that he declares all the money he makes to the government. So anywya she lives in a huge house, has the latest clothes etc, and I think its so unfair. People genuinely need that £30 a week, and my parents pay tax and she doesn't deserve it.
    I saw an advert saying "we get 500 phone calls a day, we are cracking down on benefit fraud" and I thought, can I report her? Should I?
    I don't know what to do, help please tsr!

ReputationRep:
    no dont report her, that would make you a ******* grass lol

Its anon (when I ring up) so she wont know its me. So does it matter if I;m a grass? I think I should deffo report, just wanted your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Why not talk to her about it. Just because you THINK she is loaded, doesn't mean she is. Often people put on a front.... she could very well need that money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah report her. She's milking the system, shove it up her arse.

She has a 7 bedroom house! And I guess I think (not certain) that she doesn't need that money, but hmm.

ReputationRep:
    EMA doesn't count as benefits. They'd probably just laugh at you if you phone up about someone having EMA.
    In the end the EMA system is significantly flawed. There are so many ways you can legally fiddle your application to be able to be eligible for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She has a 7 bedroom house! And I guess I think (not certain) that she doesn't need that money, but hmm.
    Its something to think about. Many wealthy people care about how they are perceived. Maybe they are not as comfortable as you think.

Oh okay so over EMA theres no need to bother?

ReputationRep:
    Well, when did they buy that house?

As someone else said, it's likely she's putting on a front and making out that she has more money than she says..

I know someone just like this!

ReputationRep:
    This brings to mind, how do the EMA people check a parents earnings? They wouldn't have access to bank account details with consent, whats the system?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay so over EMA theres no need to bother?
    yep.

I know its annoying. I know a girl who went to my school whose parents were divorced, so got the £30 a week. Yet her father was giving her a load of money all the time. Yet she still had the cheek to say she was skint! Compare that to someone else I know from my school who was also getting the £30. She actually needed it, and often had to pay for bills for her mother out of it.

But in the end there's nothing you can do about it. The system is just flawed. I'll be honest, I didn't need my EMA. Most of it went on going out, or buying games etc. Granted, some of it I did save for uni and spend on school stuff, but not that much really. They need to shake it about so that its the people who need it are the people who get it.

please keep anon, personal.

fgs, if her parents arent earning lots of money then she is entitled to it.

i live in a 7 bedroom house as well, and my parents happen to own a few houses (this is the line of business they are in). EVERYONE assumes we are so well off and extremely loaded, but actually we have no family holidays, my parents work 7 days a week and earn less than the £17,000. So I happened to get EMA as well, and i really needed it.

You have no idea what financial situation she is in, it seems such a spiteful thing to do. How the hell is it affecting you? and yes your parents pay tax but so do hers. Ok, so its not 100% sure that she isnt scamming the system, but at the end of the day, so what if she is, loads of ppl do.

ReputationRep:
    i knew a girl lived in a massive 9 bedroom, guess you'd call it mansion, and very rich parents. her parents were so rich they didn't work and there taxable income was therefore low enough for her to get ema.

she dint need it. but she dint break any rules either

ReputationRep:
    Also, something else that is a possibility is the house / money could have been inherited from relatives. Although it would mean she doesn't actually need the money, its still within the rules to be having EMA in that circumstance (I think).

ReputationRep:
    How petty, you may not know for sure, that she is "LOADED" there are other circumstances that need to be looked at especially with EMA, leave it be.

ReputationRep:
    report the *****

ReputationRep:
    Do you even know her circumstances? And there's nothing you can do to prove that she is scamming the system. (if she is)

ReputationRep:
    i dont get it? if she browses this forum wont she come across this thread and know you're talkin about her?

ReputationRep:
    Please please please keep anon, this girl uses this forum and this would be awful if she read this.

Right, theres a person I know (admittedly we used to be friends but now we're not really close) and she gets EMA, but to be honest her family are LOADED! They live in a huge house, her mum doesn't work because her dad earns so much money. He has businesses so I doubt that he declares all the money he makes to the government. So anywya she lives in a huge house, has the latest clothes etc, and I think its so unfair. People genuinely need that £30 a week, and my parents pay tax and she doesn't deserve it.
    I saw an advert saying "we get 500 phone calls a day, we are cracking down on benefit fraud" and I thought, can I report her? Should I?
    I don't know what to do, help please tsr!
    You might think that she's loaded, but her and her family could just be all show i.e buying the latest stuff etc. on credit just to make themselves look very well off. Some people are just like that, my neighbours have recently been declared bankrupt so what do they do... book a month's holiday abroad . You can't judge a book by its cover.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.