Further maths a level

Watch this thread
WORKHELP465
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi has anyone done further maths a level?

Im really bad at maths so need some advice
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WORKHELP465)

Why are you considering it if you are not good at Maths? Most schools require a grade 8/9 at GCSE to take FM.
WORKHELP465
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why are you considering it if you are not good at Maths? Most schools require a grade 8/9 at GCSE to take FM.
I got a grade 6 in maths would you recommend a level maths?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I got a grade 6 in maths would you recommend a level maths?
We ask for a grade 7 - how strong is your algebra? How do you know your GCSE grade already?
HardlyHuman
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

There is nothing inherently difficult about A-Level further maths, or A-Level maths for that matter. What matters is your motivations. If you like maths, it will be a cruise because you will enjoy learning the content and understanding all the proofs and how everything is derived - after all, that is the beauty of maths. I believe the syllabus can be learnt in 2 months if you put in at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted smart study every day. But this is a big ask for someone who doesn't like maths, say only wants to do it because it "looks good". I would say try learning from a text book for a week, 30 mins a day, doing the practice questions thoroughly, and that should help you make your mind up.
WORKHELP465
Rep:
We ask for a grade 7 - how strong is your algebra? How do you know your GCSE grade already?
I have been homeschooled since secondary. Sat 2 exams on my own as a private candidate and then went to college to sit maths and English. That was last year and this year I sat my biology.
WORKHELP465
Rep:
(Original post by HardlyHuman)
There is nothing inherently difficult about A-Level further maths, or A-Level maths for that matter. What matters is your motivations. If you like maths, it will be a cruise because you will enjoy learning the content and understanding all the proofs and how everything is derived - after all, that is the beauty of maths. I believe the syllabus can be learnt in 2 months if you put in at least 30 minutes of uninterrupted smart study every day. But this is a big ask for someone who doesn't like maths, say only wants to do it because it "looks good". I would say try learning from a text book for a week, 30 mins a day, doing the practice questions thoroughly, and that should help you make your mind up.
I found gcse maths really hard I had to resit it. I sat it as a private candidate and got a grade 4 then got a grade 6 in college and I didn't even sit the exam because of covid so I got a predicted grade
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I found gcse maths really hard I had to resit it. I sat it as a private candidate and got a grade 4 then got a grade 6 in college and I didn't even sit the exam because of covid so I got a predicted grade
I think you might struggle with A level Maths and I would not advise FMaths.
WORKHELP465
Rep:
I think you might struggle with A level Maths and I would not advise FMaths.
What about as level maths?
What is as?
Is it easier?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What about as level maths?
What is as?
Is it easier?
Yes - it's about 40% of A level content.

I think you need to look at other subjects as you'd need to enjoy working on problems to do well.
WORKHELP465
Rep:
40% wow I didn't know. I might consider doing that but my college and sixth forms around me don't do as level. Do you think I could do it my self at home and sit it as a private candidate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (70)
67.96%
In the post (4)
3.88%
Text (14)
13.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.56%

Watched Threads