Law at Oxbridge

Watch this thread
will_coll
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am looking for some advice concerning A-Level choices. I am hoping to study law at oxbridge in the future but am first needing to choose my A-Levels. Currently, I have selected History, Politics, French and Maths (though I do have the opportunity to change) and I guess my question is: are these suitable subjects to choose, and am I losing out by not doing English. Though I am in no against English, I feel I would enjoy the other subjects more after looking at the courses and potential teaching arrangements, but is this a mistake and should I instead choose English.
ultimatequeen
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by will_coll)
I am looking for some advice concerning A-Level choices. I am hoping to study law at oxbridge in the future but am first needing to choose my A-Levels. Currently, I have selected History, Politics, French and Maths (though I do have the opportunity to change) and I guess my question is: are these suitable subjects to choose, and am I losing out by not doing English. Though I am in no against English, I feel I would enjoy the other subjects more after looking at the courses and potential teaching arrangements, but is this a mistake and should I instead choose English.
Hey, i think humanities subjects are preferred and most uni's have a 'preferred subject list' in A levels, however for Law I believe there are no required subjects to take at A level. History and Politics are both good choices as they include a lot of essays and reading which is essential when studying Law, I also know English Lit is favoured considerably however it should not affect your chances in getting a place at uni.

Also, 3 A Levels is very hard work, so possibly reconsider 4 A Levels only if you would like to do so. Most sixth forms/colleges allow you to drop and pick up other subjects when you've been in a couple lessons, so maybe do go to an English Lit class and see how you get on, ask the teacher of what it will include etc etc
will_coll
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for the advice. To be honest I thought that it would be how you have described it, with English being favoured but not entirely necessary.

Also, for sixth form we have to start with 4 a levels and then can drop to 3 after a half term or so and so I will definitely consider dropping a subject if I find the workload too much or don’t enjoy a subject as much as I thought.
(Original post by ultimatequeen)
Hey, i think humanities subjects are preferred and most uni's have a 'preferred subject list' in A levels, however for Law I believe there are no required subjects to take at A level. History and Politics are both good choices as they include a lot of essays and reading which is essential when studying Law, I also know English Lit is favoured considerably however it should not affect your chances in getting a place at uni.

Also, 3 A Levels is very hard work, so possibly reconsider 4 A Levels only if you would like to do so. Most sixth forms/colleges allow you to drop and pick up other subjects when you've been in a couple lessons, so maybe do go to an English Lit class and see how you get on, ask the teacher of what it will include etc etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads