Can I get into Oxford with A*/A's in two subjects but a B or below in another?

Watch this thread
oxfordthrowaway
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether it would be feasible to apply to Oxford if I get a B or below in one of my subjects despite getting good in the other two? I want to do psychology at university and my a-levels are psychology, philosophy and art (art being the bad grade). If I work hard to make my personal statement good and I do well on the entrance exams, could it be possible?

EDIT: got my predicted grades back a while ago, got A*, A, B - I'll update if I get in or not
Last edited by oxfordthrowaway; 1 month ago
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Given that the standard entry requirement is A*AA, and that they quote their admission statistics as "Interviewed: 35% Successful: 13%", it seems extremely unlikely that they'd make an offer to an applicant with "A*/A's in two subjects but a B or below in another". Sorry.

See details here.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In short, no :nah: You have to be predicted the right grades to get to interview and be made an offer - Oxford doesn't make contextual offers :nah:

If you are made a standard offer and miss it, there MAY be a teeny-tiny bit of leeway on results day, depending on a lot of factors. Everything is looked at on a case-by-case basis, in that instance. But that doesn't seem to be the situation you're asking about?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You would probably struggle to get an interview having missed the predicted grades, especially if there's no entrance exam. If you had A*A*B I wouldn't say it's completely impossible if the rest of your application is stellar though it's probably very unlikely.

However it would not be entirely impossible if you had received an offer (which would be for A*AA regardless of your predicted grades) and got A*A*B on results day, that you'll be let in anyways. Though note that meeting the offer is not generally considered the hard bit of an Oxbridge application (bar cambridge maths) and they may have very few if any spaces open to people who missed the offer.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't know anyone who was given a place with predicted or achieved grades below all As. Although I do know someone who was interviewed with A*AB - suggesting that they would at least consider it if other parts of the application were particularly strong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads