student halls or student house

Watch this thread
noorfatimaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,
so for my first year of uni I stayed in a catered hall and being an introvert I didn't make any friends but sort of liked it as it was just a 10 minute walk to all my lectures. For second year I am thinking of getting a room in a student house because it may be cheaper and more freedom regarding food. Will it be almost similar price or cheaper ? I have no idea as I have never really paid bills or bought groceries
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
On the face of it it will look cheaper but then you need to buy food and pay bills and internet it likely once everything is said and done should cost about the save give or take. A house is also a bit more social than halls which is really cool.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
noorfatima they do tend to be cheaper than halls, especially cheaper than catered halls. It's also nice living in a student house because you choose who you live with, so it tends to stay tidier and less noisy than halls. With a student house, your electric and water bill are also included in the rent.

What you can do to compare prices is look for student homes in your area, and compare the rent with what you are paying now. You can do this for monthly and yearly, and if it helps you, even break it down by how much it costs a week.

Because you aren't used to paying bills and buying groceries, it might be helpful for you to learn how to budget. Here some helpful sites on how to do that:
https://www.ucas.com/finance/managin...20services.%20
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/st...eting-planner/
You can use budget planners like this one: https://elearninginfographics.com/st...r-infographic/ . You can either use an online one, create your own, or print one off.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by noorfatimaa)
Hi all,
so for my first year of uni I stayed in a catered hall and being an introvert I didn't make any friends but sort of liked it as it was just a 10 minute walk to all my lectures. For second year I am thinking of getting a room in a student house because it may be cheaper and more freedom regarding food. Will it be almost similar price or cheaper ? I have no idea as I have never really paid bills or bought groceries
Hi there!

I hope you're well

For me, staying in a student house was a lot cheaper than my university accommodation (but I did live in self-catered accommodation which was on campus!). There are definitely pros and cons to each, but cost and being with my friends was a big thing for me - hence why I decided to live in a student house. If you're worried about being too far from campus, try looking for a student house around your university or within walking distance.

I'd definitely recommend doing as much research as possible to make sure you're making a well informed decision If you know anybody from the year above you at your university. have a chat with them to see if they have any advice. Often, different universities have different experiences in regards to accommodation and student housing.

I hope that's helpful.
Ana - UoL Ambassador.
Durham Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by noorfatimaa)
Hi all,
Hiya noorfatimaa

I would echo what everyone else has said. I've found private houses to be cheaper than the uni accommodation but that also depends on the location. The ones located more centrally and closer to campus buildings tend to be more expensive than those a bit farther. Some might come with bills included (gas, electricity, water, internet) while others may be partially or no bills included. I pay £100/week (all bills included) and live a 20 min walk away from where my lectures are taught.

It definitely gives more freedom regarding food choices and you can decide who you live with. Groceries can vary according to your needs but I think I spend around £50/month on average.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads