Graduated..feeling lost and unsuccessful

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For context, I finished my bachelors in biomedical science and it's been about a month since I finished exams and since then I've done nothing. I feel really down because I have no idea what I want to do, it's frustrating that I can't figure out what to do. I would do postgrad studies but I'm still not 100% sure on what I want to do both in terms of course and employment. It's really pathetic that I don't do anything all day but I feel stuck in a cycle where I don't have enough/relevant experience to get a job and too confused to apply for further study. I spend hours looking for jobs related to my degree but I don't have enough experience and don't think I'll enjoy any of the jobs.

My parents constantly compare me to others who have worked throughout university, earn a lot and live an independent life. Of course, I want to be successful but the fact that I haven't been able to achieve any of this just adds to my troubles and I feel so useless.

I have no idea how to figure out what to do. I know I'll probably get replies saying that I'm lazy or overthinking but I'm just so stuck.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You probably just need a bit of time to figure out what you want and that’s normal. I know plenty of graduates who didn’t land a graduate or relevant job immediately after university. Have you considered getting a normal retail job or similar for the time being to allow you to earn some form of income? It will also help add to your experience even if not directly relevant.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You probably just need a bit of time to figure out what you want and that’s normal. I know plenty of graduates who didn’t land a graduate or relevant job immediately after university. Have you considered getting a normal retail job or similar for the time being to allow you to earn some form of income? It will also help add to your experience even if not directly relevant.
Thank you for the reply. I have applied for several jobs in retail/customer service but I'm yet to hear back from any of them. Do you have any advice on how I can figure out what I actually want to do?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for the reply. I have applied for several jobs in retail/customer service but I'm yet to hear back from any of them. Do you have any advice on how I can figure out what I actually want to do?
Have you considered doing short online (free) courses on websites such as Coursera or FutureLearn to get a taster of different subject areas and gauge what you may/may not enjoy?

Sometimes it’s a matter of having to try different things before you know what you like - so even if a job doesn’t sound particularly great, it may be worth applying anyway. Firstly because you might find it’s better than you expected and secondly because it’ll give you some experience to add to your CV so that you can more easily get your foot through the door for the next job.

Sorry I can’t be more useful than that - I foreshadowed I’d have a similar issue so I picked a vocational degree that leads directly onto a specific job. I’ll tag threeportdrift who may be able to help.
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
For context, I finished my bachelors in biomedical science and it's been about a month since I finished exams and since then I've done nothing. I feel really down because I have no idea what I want to do, it's frustrating that I can't figure out what to do. I would do postgrad studies but I'm still not 100% sure on what I want to do both in terms of course and employment. It's really pathetic that I don't do anything all day but I feel stuck in a cycle where I don't have enough/relevant experience to get a job and too confused to apply for further study. I spend hours looking for jobs related to my degree but I don't have enough experience and don't think I'll enjoy any of the jobs.

My parents constantly compare me to others who have worked throughout university, earn a lot and live an independent life. Of course, I want to be successful but the fact that I haven't been able to achieve any of this just adds to my troubles and I feel so useless.

I have no idea how to figure out what to do. I know I'll probably get replies saying that I'm lazy or overthinking but I'm just so stuck.
Hey!

I think you're hugely overlooking what an amazing achievement you've just completed! Finishing a bachelors in biomedical science? That is amazing, you should be so proud. Certainly nothing "unsuccessful" about that. I've not finished my studies yet, but I would imagine that when you do, it's very very easy and common to feel a little lost. You've spent the last however many years working towards an end goal, and now you've got it, I think it is probably perfectly natural to look around and think "...well, now what?". I'm sure you're not alone with this.

Does your university offer support for graduates in terms of career advice and help? Are there any advisors you could meet, or resources you could look at? It's honestly completely okay to not know what it is you want to do right now. Keep looking, exploring, and trying and I'm sure something will come up. We are all different and on different journeys, and that is okay.

Be sure to reach out for other aspects of support if you feel you need it too. There are plenty of people out there ready to listen and help if you feel a bit rubbish.

I hope you feel a bit brighter soon!

Danielle
Film and Television Studies
Last edited by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (42)
28.77%
Take a gap year (23)
15.75%
Resit my exams (40)
27.4%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (19)
13.01%
I don't know yet (16)
10.96%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.11%

Watched Threads