The Student Room Group

M1 mechanics resolving forces

1.PNG

My question is regarding how we do this

2.PNG

The answer sheet shows that I have to use cosine rule and draw a triangle to find this even tho the question does not specify a method.

The method I know is finding the x-components and y-components for each forces shown in the question and using pythagorus theorem to get the magnitude. Then using Tan theta =y/x to find the angle
I tried doing that and got the same answer as in the answer sheet

Do I really have to do the method shown in the answer sheet? Or is it an alternative option. I would not prefer if I lose marks for using the method I know so would like to know this. The textbook does not specify anything either regarding this

I am doing the exam privately btw so I cant really ask any teacher as I am self studying

Examboard is Edexcel A level Mechanics
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Goldenknight
1.PNG

My question is regarding how we do this

2.PNG

The answer sheet shows that I have to use cosine rule and draw a triangle to find this even tho the question does not specify a method.

The method I know is finding the x-components and y-components for each forces shown in the question and using pythagorus theorem to get the magnitude. Then using Tan x =Sin/Cos to find the angle

Do I really have to do the method shown in the answer sheet? Or is it an alternative option. I would not prefer if I lose marks for using the method I know so would like to know this

I am doing the exam privately btw so I cant really ask any teacher as I am self studying

Examboard is Edexcel A level Mechanics

Yes, you can find the x and y components and then just construct a right angled triangle.

You will never lose marks if you get the right answer using a valid method.
Original post by Jpw1097
Yes, you can find the x and y components and then just construct a right angled triangle.

You will never lose marks if you get the right answer using a valid method.

Ahh okay thats great to know. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest