leeds uni computer science without further maths?

Watch this thread
megpar
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’m currently taking maths, computer science and english language and am predicted A-A* for my A levels.
it seems that a lot of unis like cs applicants to have further maths so im planning on taking AS further maths next year, or fast tracking it but i’m not sure at the moment.
im also doing epq and think i can apply for a contextual offer. what’s the likelihood i’d be successful if i applied?
MoDesignss
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by megpar)
i’m currently taking maths, computer science and english language and am predicted A-A* for my A levels.
it seems that a lot of unis like cs applicants to have further maths so im planning on taking AS further maths next year, or fast tracking it but i’m not sure at the moment.
im also doing epq and think i can apply for a contextual offer. what’s the likelihood i’d be successful if i applied?
Mate idk where you've read that you need or unis like further maths, Leeds uni dont even REQUIRE A level maths 🤣, all you need is 3 a levels and get AAA, ill be going Leeds for computing in the summer (given I get the grades) and i studied CS, Maths and Biology, you dont need an EPQ nor do u want to add the burden of AS Maths, apply after the summer when your back and relax and finish your 3 a levels , Leeds do take a long while to respond to applicants tho so make sure not to worry.

Your predicteds look amazing, you'll get an offer.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's really just Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, and maybe UCL where they'd probably expect you to take it in some capacity if offered. Having the AS would probably be enough to be considered though even at those unis.

Of course it's very useful for any CS course but it wouldn't make a difference in admissions decisions to not have it elsewhere, I think.

Taking the AS is probably a good idea - you'll do at least some of the more important topics (matrices particularly) then
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads