Best cooking gadget for uni accommodation

Watch this thread
Ally.g13
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there an item (eg air fryer,multi cooker) that you swear by for uni meals?
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hiya!

I swore by my soup blender! An easy way to use up some bits in your fridge is to chuck it into a soup - minimises waste!

Not really a cooking thing but lots of Tupperware if you are planning on meal prepping too (I strongly suggest doing this, bulk make meals and it'll save time, money and effort!)

Take care,
Rylee
3rd year advanced applied psychology student
Student ambassador
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Rice cooker. My god, those things are worth their weight in gold.

Even just making rice perfectly every time is great, but you can use them to make so many other things too

That said I have a combi rice-slow cooker which is even better as it has even MORE functions and so more things it can cook

Caveat emptor I'm not in halls and I gather they can be a bit fussy about such things :confused:

Also if anyone brought an air fryer to my accom I'd be....perturbed. They smell awful!
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
lifeofpablo1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Air fryer 100%, they cook almost everything quickly
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ally.g13)
Hi there,

I would definitely recommend a toasty maker. I swear by mine, and it makes it so easy to make something 'hot' when you're in the mood for something warm (instead of having a cold sandwich!).

Ana - UoL Ambassador
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bear in mind that in Halls, the hall provider controls any electrical equipment brought in.
This means that you my be limited as to what you may bring, and it must be PAT (tested) - possibly at your expense
For example “fairy lights” became a trend and many halls insisted on battery only due to a couple of fires.

Given Amazon, unless you have something already, wait until you are in Halls?
Ally.g13
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by domonict)
Bear in mind that in Halls, the hall provider controls any electrical equipment brought in.
This means that you my be limited as to what you may bring, and it must be PAT (tested) - possibly at your expense
For example “fairy lights” became a trend and many halls insisted on battery only due to a couple of fires.

Given Amazon, unless you have something already, wait until you are in Halls?
I like to be organised lol and I think the majority of cooking appliances (especially if they’re higher end ones) should hopefully be okay to have.
For that reason, I was thinking of investing in a ninja multicooker as I’ve heard they’re okay to being in some places
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

Most universities supply the main things, like oven, microwave and potentially a toaster. What I relied on at uni was a blender, as it just made it easy to make a smoothie to have on the go. I know a lot of people though love having a toastie machine or even a coffee machine if they're a lover.
Also, its best leaving kitchen supplies like toaster, kettle etc until you move in, as one of your flatmates might have one for the flat to use, so you don't end up with multiple in the kitchen taking up space.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Decent non stick frying pan and a wooden spoon, I would go with the basics to begin with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (24)
18.32%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
23.66%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (71)
54.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.82%

Watched Threads