Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sorry for not replying in ages, my internet's been a spazz recently!
    haha yeah i heard she went to like 10 schools or something crazy!
    ohh yeah, my dad "wasn't too impressed" by the woodhouse building....lol its not all that spectacular but that's not too much of a worry!

OMG I KNOWWW!!!! I just had my french aurals last week it was bareee embarassing - the teacher was like "qu'est ce que vous faites pour le menage" (What do you do to help out in the house) and I thought she was asking what my hobbies are so I was like " Je fais du planche a voile" (I go windsurfing) :o:

and i STILL haven't chosen my A-Levels completely, and aghhh i have my fricking mocks in the first two weeks back in january!

aww....does the catchment area not matter so much for Dame Alice Owen sixth form? Btw, I just called latymer like 20 minutes ago and OMG apparently I can't apply now!! Apparently their postcode catchment area does apply for sixth form, and even though i'm just 3 streets off it and I would be getting the SAME bus from the SAME stop as for people living in N2 (which is included in it), the lady on the phone was like "nope, we don't do NW11". aghhhhhhhH! I really wanted to apply there! :nothing:
    they have made exceptions and stuff in the past I think, and you can appeal, but i dunnoo....=/ My day just keeps getting ******* worse lol, first I got braces (first time) in the morning, now this!

haha lol!!! yeah its supposed to be kinda strict compared to HBS according to my friend...ohh right that makes sense... my 2nd cousin went there (St. Michael's) I think a while back for 6th form, and she wasn't Catholic, but its definately harder to get in.

ohh i don't do RS for GCSE! But when i was in Henrietta Barnett in Yr 9 we had the most lousy RE teacher ever....honestly she only came in like once a year coz the rest of the time she had "laryngitis" or her daughter's finger kept getting stuck in the car door or some crap excuse like that!!
    lol aww thats cute ^_^ ....yeah those aural preparation questions innit?! they're a painnnn

For AS...I'm taking French :eek: (I love it, just not the speaking part haha)
    probably Chem/Bio, Maths, Art and Physics/English. I'm really undecided though about my future and stuff in general -I was really keen on being an architect for AGEES, but then last year i suddenly lost interest...and right now i'm not too sure what i want to be! If I do architecture, I'd need Maths, Physics and Art, but i'm thinking about doing a science as well if I want to keep a science route open too (maths counts as a "science").

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep456)
    Just did the paper. Hopefully I will get in. I made 3 mistakes so far and hope I got all the others right.
    I did the paper too. Was doing well till the non-verbal section, pretty much failed that section I think. Hopefully my other sections bring up the score and it's good enough for an offer/place.

ReputationRep:
    Was I the only one who thought the hole punching thing was the hardest/weirdest...?
    Hole punches are the reason im not going to get in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP40186)
    Was I the only one who thought the hole punching thing was the hardest/weirdest...?
    I came to it and I died! I remember doing it in my CATs and failing it then too. I think I did amazingly well in the maths bit though (should have, I wanna do Maths and Further Maths) so I hope they take into account that I want to do more mathsy stuff. What the hell is the point of non-verbal, so annoying!

The use of brackets are that you can add and subtract before multiplying or dividing. Obviously in a normal equation like 5x3-4, you have to multiply first, but if it was 5x(3-4), then you can subtract first.

ReputationRep:
    I did the test! I found verbal reasoning super easy hopefully got pretty much everything right there... non verbal was good just I didn't get time to check... So hopefully I get in, but the quantitative was TERRIBLE, the sequences were dodgy, I'm sure I got about half wrong - but I found the last numbers one good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP40186)
    I think hold punches were pretty ok... unless of course I made some stupid mistakes... :rolleyes: but for me the numbers will be the reason if I don't get in... but I really hope I do!

Apparently they're running tests next week because of many people sending applications but not getting replies... it happened to my friend, but there's nothing on the website... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma =])
    I think hold punches were pretty ok... unless of course I made some stupid mistakes... :rolleyes: but for me the numbers will be the reason if I don't get in... but I really hope I do!

Apparently they're running tests next week because of many people sending applications but not getting replies... it happened to my friend, but there's nothing on the website... :confused:
    Do they take an average or like add up the scores and then the top x amount of people get in or get an offer? I hope they look more at where the person got the highest in because I want to do Maths and Further Maths and I'm pretty sure I killed the quantitative section YET I don't want to hole punch as a career so maybe it won't matter so much that I didn't do well on that .

Do any of you know when the results would be out or when they start to give out offers/rejections?

ReputationRep:
    So Kai you had to arrange the equations in the order it was given and you couldn't just use it in any order? Throughout that section I just arranged the equations in any order which I thought was the aim of it to get the answer? Or wait was the brackets included to facilitate you arranging the equations in any order?
    No the point is you rearrange it but you couldn't take it in sections.

Here's an example: If you had - 3 4 7 x + () - then you had to rearrange that into something. You could do: (7-3)x4, and that would be fine.

The point of the brackets is that you can subtract and add without having to divide or multiply first. So 3x4-2 is 10, but if you had it in brackets then you can do 3x(4-2) which is now 6. Do you see what I'm getting at?

You couldn't however take it in parts if you had no brackets. You couldn't have 3 4 7 x + and decide that you would add first, because you have to multiply before adding as is the rule. You couldn't, let's say, do 3+7 and then multiply by 4, you had to basically lay it out in an equation format and then multiply or divide first unless you had brackets, in which case you ALWAYS work out the inside of the bracket first, and then you do whatever else is outside.

ReputationRep:
    Grr so say you had:

2 4 5 + x ()

I could do 2 x (4+5)=18
    4 x (5+2)=28
    4 x (4+2)=24
    5 x (4+2)=30
    2x4+5=13
    5x2+4=14
    4x5+2=22

Am I right? Basically it is in accordance with Algebraic rules. However, I did it any order without using (thinking) BIDMAS at the time. Hopefully they had made it so there would be no overlapping answers and I had subconciously done it with BIDMAS.
    Yes, apart from the bolded one which you didn't use 5 those are correct.

Sadly, yes, there was overlapping answers because I actually did one forgetting to use that rule and when I came back to it I realised that it was infact another answer. I guess they would have overlapping answers to catch people out though as they knew some would obviously make that mistake. Hopefully you didn't do that mistake for many of them and so you would still be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Grr what bad luck for me. I would have got them right if I had known.
    Still I'm not very fond of the fact that they use this exam - it's basically like an IQ exam or very similar. I mean why can't they just look at GCSE grades or even have an exam more suited to what you want to do? I want to do Maths and Further Maths - what's the point of me knowing how a piece of paper will look after folding it 15 times and hole-punching it 9 times.

In my opinion IQ isn't that great. I used to think it was a pretty good test of how smart you are but after finding out about a guy in America who has an IQ of 200 and is a farmer by beliefs went down the drain.

Do we know how much emphasis Latymer put on the exams though? I heard it's like the top 50-60 people that took exam get an offer/place and then some others behind them get put on the waiting list. Is there no emphasis on things like GCSE or is it that after getting 6 As (they're minimum requirement) they don't care so much?

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question, if you do amazing on your GCSEs you can contact the school and they will accept you if they are amazing. I am just so annoyed that I may get rejected two times now even though I am clearly better than most people at the school. All because of silly mistakes. I am just hoping I have marked myself down really harshly. Btw when do we get the results?
    I wish I knew when but it seems like no one actually knows (but the school I suppose).

The reason I feel so strongly against this sort of examination is that I have a friend who when we did CATs (which is basically IDENTICAL to the exam we did) scored much higher than me yet we got identical Yr 9 SATS results and right now, in GCSEs, I'm predicted 3A* 7A 3B (how good is this in Latymer standards?) whilst he is predicted a few As and mostly Bs and some lower. The fact of the matter is, he hasn't gotten stupider or anything, if anything he's much smarter, it's just that CATs or the exam we did is a whole different animal to GCSEs and A-levels and I just can't understand why they would want to base if you get a place/offer or not using this exam when clearly it does not prove if you will do well in A-levels or not.

I may not have great imagination for the hole punching questions but what does that have to do with maths? I mean I have a friend who got A* in maths in Yr 7 and an A in AS Maths in Yr 9 yet in everything else he's quite bad at. Does this mean he shouldn't be accepted into a college to do a lot of subjects related to maths when clearly he is amazing at it just because he isn't as good at writing?

ReputationRep:
    You would be in the lower quartile. To put it into context, it does not constitute as amazing.

Sorry, if I sound cynical.
    I'm sure I could get a couple more A*s if I try really hard but no that's fine, I can accept that I'm not amazingly smart. However, how much weight is actually put on GCSEs? Because my girlfriend has a friend who only had As and Bs and he got an offer (he later turned it down) and he's GCSEs obviously aren't that good and if mine aren't that amazing then he's surely as quite rubbish yet he did get an offer. Is much more weight put on the test? I hope not to be honest, I don't think that test is a great indication of how smart you are, I have huge doubts on IQ and such tests.

ReputationRep:
    There is no weight put on it. All you have to do is the test and they select the top 60 students. If you don't get in and get like 8 A*s 2A in your GCSEs then you can later phone the school and they may offer you a place.
    Do they put people on waiting lists and stuff because my girlfriend's friend who got in wasn't accepted straight away but much later on they gave him an offer but like I mentioned earlier on, he declined it.

ReputationRep:
    There is no weight put on it. All you have to do is the test and they select the top 60 students. If you don't get in and get like 8 A*s 2A in your GCSEs then you can later phone the school and they may offer you a place.

Do you know if anyone got to apply outside the allocated postcodes? (like if they were just outside one of them)

ReputationRep:
    We get the results by the end of May (It says on the booklet we got at the open evening)... Quite some time to wait!

I wish they would look at the grades more too! - I should get at least 5 A* and the rest As, but hopefully more A*s!... But yes, we can contact Latymer after GCSEs if we don't get an offer, although I have pretty popular subjects (Except RS) so I doubt there would be space... Still, they say 10 people got an offer this way...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kai4321)
    Do they put people on waiting lists and stuff because my girlfriend's friend who got in wasn't accepted straight away but much later on they gave him an offer but like I mentioned earlier on, he declined it.
    Yes probably they use waiting lists, in case the people who get offers don't get the 6 As?... Although the top 60 - 80 who get offers probably will get 6 As, but I still think they do.

Do you think they will tell us exactly how we ranked???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma =])
    We get the results by the end of May (It says on the booklet we got at the open evening)... Quite some time to wait!

I wish they would look at the grades more too! - I should get at least 5 A* and the rest As, but hopefully more A*s!... But yes, we can contact Latymer after GCSEs if we don't get an offer, although I have pretty popular subjects (Except RS) so I doubt there would be space... Still, they say 10 people got an offer this way...!
    What sort of GCSEs would you need to bother contacting them about getting a place that way?

ReputationRep:
    6 A*s
    would you have needed to have already applied in Feb/gone for their initial tests though to be able to try and apply later? Or can people who hadn't sent the form in Feb. also apply after getting GCSEs?

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so.simple)
    Even then they are so fussy. My next door neighbour got 6A*s and 4As and he still didn't get in.

The people who get into the sixth form generally do ridiculously well..

Sorry I don't know too much about this, but here's the website...
    http://www.latymer.co.uk/admissions/...yr12/p9.aspx?1
    Ahh okay thanks =] don't remember seeing anything bout it last time I checked on there, but I;ll have another look!

:eek: I swear I recognize you from the Paki Society thread? xD
    (or maybe its just the flag....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_dragoness274)
    would you have needed to have already applied in Feb/gone for their initial tests though to be able to try and apply later? Or can people who hadn't sent the form in Feb. also apply after getting GCSEs?

thanks x
    You have to have taken the test :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.