Quarter life crisis or sensible decision?

Watch this thread
vetphys1
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bit of a long one, but i think only here will i get some good advice- calling all mature students!

Long story short, i'm a UK post grad with a BSc Veterinary Physiotherapy degree and i have my own business in this.

I've been doing this for 4 years, and whilst it's successful for the stage it's at, between COVID and cost of living crisis, my already fragile business is taking significant financial knocks. I've now had to take up a second job to pay the bills and it's getting quieter and quieter whilst people are struggling to get by. Whilst i'm fully aware this won't last forever and my friends tell me to just stick with it, it's made me feel extremely cautious about my employment path in life as i watch my partner front bills we should be sharing or i'm borrowing money to put petrol in my car.

For this reason, i'm strongly considering "starting again" and going back to uni to be a vet nurse and be in a more stable practice. One moment i'm all guns blazing on this idea- hell i'm excited about it- the other side of me is saying i'm bailing on a job i've wanted for 13 years and i'll be starting again. Not discrediting that i'll then be a post grad with two veterinary degrees in linked roles which i'm sure is valuable to a clinic somewhere.

Businesses are hard, and i feel mine- like many who graduated my year- were doomed for a hard start up. Other practitioners around me who have been practicing for 10+ years are closing and I'm not sure i want this riskiness in my life, it's not what i dreamed it would be when they said some months are hard- i had to borrow money to pay the rent this month because i exhausted my savings during COVID and earlier this year.

Questions-
Am i just having a quarter life crisis or am i actually making a sensible decision as it's another role i know i'll love that's so much more secure? I see so many people in my shoes 15 years down the line wishing they'd switched when they could

What funding is out there for a mature student with the normal expenses i need to pay PLUS a full time degree?

Does anybody else have this feeling? or has closed their business and started again from the beginning? it's a huge leap, and fear is a large factor in this.
anonymous789123
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vetphys1)
Bit of a long one, but i think only here will i get some good advice- calling all mature students!

Long story short, i'm a UK post grad with a BSc Veterinary Physiotherapy degree and i have my own business in this.

I've been doing this for 4 years, and whilst it's successful for the stage it's at, between COVID and cost of living crisis, my already fragile business is taking significant financial knocks. I've now had to take up a second job to pay the bills and it's getting quieter and quieter whilst people are struggling to get by. Whilst i'm fully aware this won't last forever and my friends tell me to just stick with it, it's made me feel extremely cautious about my employment path in life as i watch my partner front bills we should be sharing or i'm borrowing money to put petrol in my car.

For this reason, i'm strongly considering "starting again" and going back to uni to be a vet nurse and be in a more stable practice. One moment i'm all guns blazing on this idea- hell i'm excited about it- the other side of me is saying i'm bailing on a job i've wanted for 13 years and i'll be starting again. Not discrediting that i'll then be a post grad with two veterinary degrees in linked roles which i'm sure is valuable to a clinic somewhere.

Businesses are hard, and i feel mine- like many who graduated my year- were doomed for a hard start up. Other practitioners around me who have been practicing for 10+ years are closing and I'm not sure i want this riskiness in my life, it's not what i dreamed it would be when they said some months are hard- i had to borrow money to pay the rent this month because i exhausted my savings during COVID and earlier this year.

Questions-
Am i just having a quarter life crisis or am i actually making a sensible decision as it's another role i know i'll love that's so much more secure? I see so many people in my shoes 15 years down the line wishing they'd switched when they could

What funding is out there for a mature student with the normal expenses i need to pay PLUS a full time degree?

Does anybody else have this feeling? or has closed their business and started again from the beginning? it's a huge leap, and fear is a large factor in this.
This is absolutely not a crisis ! you have great self awareness which is so valuable in living happy lives. I changed career mid 30s and found the want to better myself a reason to really enjoy studying and learning.

Im not sure there is any funding for second degrees, but I know Allied Health Profession courses are fully funded with maintenance loans. Vet nursing wouldn't come under that, but its only just what I know.

Im doing a Masters and found its pushed me so hard, which is very rewarding. So maybe have a look at at Masters in your area of study, to really push yourself, and to 'progress' your eduction beyond undergrad.

Embrace the unknown, that's where we grow. And fear is natural feeling
vetphys1
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous789123)
This is absolutely not a crisis ! you have great self awareness which is so valuable in living happy lives. I changed career mid 30s and found the want to better myself a reason to really enjoy studying and learning.

Im not sure there is any funding for second degrees, but I know Allied Health Profession courses are fully funded with maintenance loans. Vet nursing wouldn't come under that, but its only just what I know.

Im doing a Masters and found its pushed me so hard, which is very rewarding. So maybe have a look at at Masters in your area of study, to really push yourself, and to 'progress' your eduction beyond undergrad.

Embrace the unknown, that's where we grow. And fear is natural feeling
Thank you! i think i needed to hear that A friend of mine works at the centre i'd be studying at and says there's great grants/funding within the college for older students, so i think that's an important conversation to have before i take any more steps in this.

It's a hard decision to change careers, how did you find the change? any moments of doubt? Why did you change if you don't mind me asking?
anonymous789123
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vetphys1)
Thank you! i think i needed to hear that A friend of mine works at the centre i'd be studying at and says there's great grants/funding within the college for older students, so i think that's an important conversation to have before i take any more steps in this.

It's a hard decision to change careers, how did you find the change? any moments of doubt? Why did you change if you don't mind me asking?
Yes make sure you're financially safe to do this, but honestly don't make that a reason not to. As in, don't convince yourself it's a problem and use to justify not doing it, if the real reason is just fear / anxiety for example.

I changed just because it was going nowhere after nearly 10 years, I was completely fed up of it, and was never learning anything, just plodding on. Had no doubts really, found it odd with young people at first at uni but then I soon found the ones you get on with and found being older I was more comfortable with who I am so didn't care for half the stuff a lot of them did and just got on with studying and enjoying it. I did come across students with multiple kids and commitments and wondered how they managed it all, but they always did.

You say a few time about 'starting over' and 'abandoning' the job, but in my opinion, everything you know and learnt about yourself through the job will continue forward. Things lead to other things, even if they don't seem linked at all, so this may be your natural progression, and kind of like building on top of those sturdy foundations. Nothing gets left behind.
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
TL DR

I'm happy for you though or sorry that happened.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (70)
67.96%
In the post (4)
3.88%
Text (14)
13.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.56%

Watched Threads