Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,I have a question in Economics wondering any of you could help me?

I have been given an article,is it as shown below:

'If you wish to continue to look at this painting,please insert another compulsory donation token.' Can the day be far off when our museums and art galleries are cordoned off from the rest of public space and charges introduced across the board? That will be a shame. Either this country continues to glory in a series of great national art and cultural collections into which citizens can walk on a whim, in their lunch breaks or in between shopping.Or it slips and slides into a state of affairs in which 'culture' is seen as a segmented economics activity,marked off, labelled as elite,and paid for.

Yes of course this is an elitist issue, Many cultural institutions already charge. The Science and Natural History Museums in London are not cheap. YOu have to pay to go to a theatre or listen to a concert why are the fine arts and provincial museums different?Well,they are different because as communities we recognise that we all gained from them,even if we personally never understood why a photograph would not be a better likeness. or why we could not read about the Rosetta stone in a book.

The question would be

1st: In what ways does this article suggest that fine art and certain museums might be viewed as merit goods?

2nd: Many museums now no longer charge for entry, Discuss whether it can be justified to provide admissions to these museums free while consumers have to pay for virtually all other services.

Thanks very much in advance

ReputationRep:
    Well you have to understand what a merit good is...education is a merit good because consumption of it is seen as a good thing [there are positive externalities (I'm not sure if you've done externalities yet)] so the government subsidises it and makes to free so that everyone can consume it.

How would you justify free education?..and in this context how would you justify free museums?
    I hope that can point you in the right direction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    Well you have to understand what a merit good is...education is a merit good because consumption of it is seen as a good thing [there are positive externalities (I'm not sure if you've done externalities yet)] so the government subsidises it and makes to free so that everyone can consume it.

How would you justify free education?..and in this context how would you justify free museums?
    I hope that can point you in the right direction...
    Yes I have learnt them.
    Any more ideas on question 2?I think that is the hardest bit

Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    And for 2nd question,we have to draw a graph.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the government thinks that more people should go to museums because they see it as a good thing so they make it free. You should answer by saying why it should be free, and why it shouldn't.

For the graph I guess they are asking for a benefits/cost diagram? For that you should show how a inreases moves the quantity closer to q* (the socially optimal level)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    The Science and Natural History Museums in London are not cheap.
    They're free, actually.

Free access to museums was introduced by the government in 2001, and visitor figures went through the roof.

That's a really dreadful article to have to use as a starting point!

Agree that the "free education" line is strongest for question 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    They're free, actually.

Free access to museums was introduced by the government in 2001, and visitor figures went through the roof.

That's a really dreadful article to have to use as a starting point!

Agree that the "free education" line is strongest for question 2.
    Thats the quote I quoted from the article,wasnt what I said.

Thanks people!

ReputationRep:
    Any more opinions please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Thats the quote I quoted from the article,wasnt what I said.

Thanks people!
    I know. That's why I said it was a dreadful article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    I know. That's why I said it was a dreadful article.
    Oh yes,sorry,I got it now,oh well..this is the homework,have to just do it. lol :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2008

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.