Do GCSEs impact uni chances?

Watch this thread
JPF6
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
With the current grades I'm predicted within the BTEC that I'm currently studying I have a chance to get into the bigger and well known universities.
I am predicted roughly D*D*D- D*DD which is a comfortable grade to get into all the universities that I can aim for - excluding the ones required an additional A Level.
For GCSEs I mainly got 4, 5 and 6s, which is considered low for the universities I want to aim for; like Leeds, Loughborough etc.
I need roughly 7s.
So the main question is; is it worth applying for those universities due to the low GCSEs?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JPF6)
With the current grades I'm predicted within the BTEC that I'm currently studying I have a chance to get into the bigger and well known universities.
I am predicted roughly D*D*D- D*DD which is a comfortable grade to get into all the universities that I can aim for - excluding the ones required an additional A Level.
For GCSEs I mainly got 4, 5 and 6s, which is considered low for the universities I want to aim for; like Leeds, Loughborough etc.
I need roughly 7s.
So the main question is; is it worth applying for those universities due to the low GCSEs?
As long as your GCSEs meet any specified grades e.g. some degrees specify grades in English and Maths, yes, wou will be fine.
ace_morgan
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Generally, the only GCSEs that may impact university offers are maths and english primarily and possibly GCSEs relating to your chosen degree. However, A-Levels/BTECs, etc. hold far more sway with universities, as does your personal statement/UCAS application. So if you do well at college and get the required grades minimum, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have a chance.

I will point out, just because a university is bigger and more well known, it doesn't necessarily make it better. I say this from experience, my first degree, Business Management with Marketin, I went to Middlesex Uni and hated it, swapped to the University of Wincester and loved the university. My second degree, Natural Sciences, I'm at the University of Leicester, which is probably a medium sized university.
Remember, bigger universities will likely have much bigger classes and less contact with lecturers compared to smaller universities.

Good luck
Last edited by ace_morgan; 1 month ago
Entoco
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I like to think that GCSEs are just pre-requisites to A-Levels, which are what matter the most. GCSEs are just there to gain a small edge over someone else that has the same A-Levels as you do.
Mohammed_80
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JPF6)
I need roughly 7s.
GCSEs wouldn’t impact or hamper your chances at university. So long as you meet your course requirements for example if you were to apply for a course that requires you to get a DMM or DDM as an example if you exceed that in your BTEC/A Level there should be no reason why you cannot do that course…
Last edited by Mohammed_80; 1 month ago
JPF6
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm looking at studying economics - which is an extremely mathematical course. Therefore there often isn't a flexibility within the math GCSE, requiring a grade 7 at GCSE whilst I only have a 5.
Mohammed_80
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JPF6)
I'm looking at studying economics - which is an extremely mathematical course. Therefore there often isn't a flexibility within the math GCSE, requiring a grade 7 at GCSE whilst I only have a 5.
Then your chances looks bleak, because not only will you need something relevant in a BTEC/A Level Course but also your course will require a Grade 7 or better to then do at University you may need to do alternatives..
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Specific requirements like English language/maths GCSE grade requirements are hard requirements and not meeting them is usually an automatic rejection.

Outside of that in terms of GCSE grades generally, usually not a big factor. It's only Oxford, some medical/dental (maybe vet?) schools, and some courses at LSE where they play a big part otherwise.

Doing an economics degree without A-level Maths is going to limit you signifcantly. Bear in mind also this is not an arbitrary requirement where you tick that box and then never do maths again - economics degrees are necessarily mathematical and you would be using the A-level Maths content day in and out in such a degree. Particularly if you got a weaker grade in GCSE Maths, and didn't take it to A-level (presumably because it's not a strong suit for you/not something you enjoy), an economics degree is likely to not be a good option because you probably similarly wouldn't enjoy it or do well in it.

Note also that you don't need an economics degree to do anything except become an economist, and again if maths isn't your strong suit that would be a bad career choice anyway. If you just wanted to go into some generic business/financial services/banking grad scheme you can do any degree (for investment banking, also provided you go to a target uni). A 1st in Viking and Old Norse Studies from UCL or History of Art from Oxford will get you further towards a career in investment banking than a degree in economics from a non-target uni (especially if you only get a 2:2 because you failed all the mathematical elements of the degree...).
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JPF6)
If you dont meet a Maths GCSE requirement dont bother applying unless you are re sittimg as it is an automatic rejection. Most Economics courses at leading universities require A level Maths grade A in addition to your BTEC.

Your options are basically to look at Universities with lower Maths requirements or take a different subject such as Politics which isnt Mathematical and therefore you wont have the same restrictions. You might be able to take a foundation year but that is expensive and will include Maths modules to bring it up to the necessary standard but Economics is basically Maths and if you dont like or are not good at it you would be better looking at a different subject to study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.19%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.22%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.91%

Watched Threads