Student Finance, Step & Bio parents

Watch this thread
bigjeffuk
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi.

My stepson is looking for some finance support to go to uni and we are confused as to what he could expect and what he should put down when applying.

He lives with his biological dad 50% and with his mum and myself (not married) for the other 50% of the time.

We've checked the household income chart and I have agreed to top up the difference as a gift should my income also be taken into account.

My question really is which house should he choose to apply from? logic would say he'd have to list his dad and his mum and the combined income of both households (including mine) would be taken into account this would push him into the last bracket of funding. this seems unfair. This would be magnified if is dad also had a partner.

Can someone advise the best steps on this? should he apply from his dads? would they just take his mums income too or also mine? should we apply from ours and just say he lives with us?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by bigjeffuk; 1 month ago
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bigjeffuk)
Hi.

My stepson is looking for some finance support to go to uni and we are confused as to what he could expect and what he should put down when applying.

He lives with his biological dad 50% and with his mum and myself (not married) for the other 50% of the time.

We've checked the household income chart and I have agreed to top up the difference as a gift should my income also be taken into account.

My question really is which house should he choose to apply from? logic would say he'd have to list his dad and his mum and the combined income of both households (including mine) would be taken into account this would push him into the last bracket of funding. this seems unfair. This would be magnified if is dad also had a partner.

Can someone advise the best steps on this? should he apply from his dads? would they just take his mums income too or also mine? should we apply from ours and just say he lives with us?

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

Normally we ask for the parent the student has most contact with. If this is 50/50 it would be up to the student who he would decide to use to support his application. It would either be dad and his partner, if he has one or mum and yourself. He can use the online calculator for rough estimate of what he would be eligible for found here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator.

Thanks,
Claire
bigjeffuk
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thanks for your response and clarification. So its really up to my step son which household he applies from? taking into account that his dad is single and the application would be means tested he could effectively fall into a 'better bracket' by applying from his dads address?
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bigjeffuk)
thanks for your response and clarification. So its really up to my step son which household he applies from? taking into account that his dad is single and the application would be means tested he could effectively fall into a 'better bracket' by applying from his dads address?
Hi there,

Yes, if your step-son chooses his Dad to support the application for that reason then he can certainly do so.

Thanks, Graeme
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (51)
69.86%
In the post (2)
2.74%
Text (10)
13.7%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
13.7%

Watched Threads