Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    Ah, that would make sense. *facepalm*
    I always think of 'napalm' when people say 'facepalm' :mute:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, see if you were keen on the third guy then it might be worth putting it off a little more, to see whether he responds. You could tr resending the email to him. I found at FM that people didn't answer email as a matter oof routine until you sent one every hour on the hour (not quite literally). Otherwise the logical thing to do would be to leave it till the 2nd, although that wouldn't give mucch time. Do you want to have a session before the break? If you do then leaving it to the second might be a little tight.

In conclusion, I have no idea :p:

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    Not you. Life. The Universe. Decisions.

etc

ReputationRep:
    you should take the Ridcully attitude to decisions, i.e. the happen to someone else.

Busaaaar!

*has not been reading Pratchett* :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the Bursar would love that :dry:

ReputationRep:
    *shakes dried frogs pills at Craggy*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Argh!
    I'm trying to work out what to do. At the beginning of the week I emailed my course director about my project, and he gave me three email addresses of supervisors to approach. So one of them was a PhD student and declined, one of them has an out-of-office automated email reply saying she won't be available till the second. She's the expert in my area, really, and she lectured us this term, but she's very scary so I'm scared of ignoring the message. I'm also scared of asking her to supervise me because she'll do what she did when I first contacted her which is to demand to know every detail of the plan.. where actually that's kind of what I need a supervisor to brainstorm with for... and then the third guy hasn't replied yet. I really want to sort this out before Christmas. The course director said he would supervise me if noone else does - should I just email him today and ask him to do that or should I wait for the 2cnd and try the scary woman again?

:confused:
    Ask your DoS for advice? They might be able to contact #2 or #3 by email/phone with more success.

ReputationRep:
    Right, to Ward! I shall not return until I have done all 3 examples papers, or 1800, whichever is quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck ukebert.

Argh I have the supervision of doom in 2hours...

(Original post by jcb914)
    Ask your DoS for advice? They might be able to contact #2 or #3 by email/phone with more success.
    Its a thought - thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my last essay for the term YAY! Now for a relatively relaxed week! WOOOOO! (Except for the notes I need to catch up on, and all the Durkheim reading I need to do before the holidays :ninja:).

And in other news, I've realised that I really don't do any extra curricular stuff. I've been to a few talks and I've been to a few J-Soc events, but I'd really like to start doing some kind of sport or activity next term. So far, people have suggested that I try jiu-jitsu or fencing, but I'm not too sure about those. So could someone try and sell their sport to me? :p: I'm up for trying most things, just not rowing!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I should try to sell climbing to you :p:

And congratulations with the work :five: Impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    I've just finished my last essay for the term YAY! Now for a relatively relaxed week! WOOOOO!
    :hmmm: Alright for some :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I think I probably included some quotations in that essay from the Division of Labour in Society, which I actually read most of :hmpf:
    Essentially everything he says in that book (eg organic solidarity) is necessary to explain anomie. However I wouldn't recommend reading the book because it took and will take ages. Does your library stock any good handbooks to sociology? Many of these will provide good overviews, and the actual table of contents of Durkheim's work would help you to narrow down where to go if you needed more specific detail. Make use of wikipedia too. And at some point the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy will come in useful, even if not for Durkheim, as might Routledge Encyclopaedia of Philosophy

I could meet up with you if you want this week?
    EDIT: I forgot to mention. If you do read Durkheim, particularly Division of labour, bear in mind that all the way through he illustrates each point with a biological metaphor before describing it conceptually..so if you're in a rush just skip past the biology and zoom in on the actual theory. Durkheim's use of biological metaphor is a pretty major influence of functionalism, particularly within social anthropology, but you don't need to worry about it for an anomie essay.
    Thank you so much, I feel much better about this essay now :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    *shakes dried frogs pills at Craggy*
    :rofl:

Now we know what to do when each essay crisis comes along and generates a freshly anguish-filled TSR rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    :rofl:

Now we know what to do when each essay crisis comes along and generates a freshly anguish-filled TSR rant
    Just so :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilY?)
    Haha yes! Nah, wasn't too late at all, quite a few of us were already sleep deprived from Cindies the other day, so weren't up for too much of a masssssive night!:p:
    Fair enough. Rory was mysteriously absent from the 9 am this morning. He's also unhappy about losing the boat race via disqualification

ReputationRep:
    Wow, just had a physics practical that was mildly interesting
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Wow, just had a physics practical that was mildly interesting
    I know the feeling; I actually understood most of my Micro supervision today. :eek:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.