Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Stupid problem sheets: IMO converting between eV and J and amu and kg is not physics, it's an irrelevant annoyance.
    Maybe but,
    Work is so much easier when prefixed by "let c=1".
    You have to turn your answer into something real after doing that. The hbar=c=1 thing is called 'natural units' but they're not that natural when you're actually measuring stuff. amu and eV turn out to be about as good when you're doing stuff with atoms.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've had an almost-productive-but-not-quite afternoon, but it is time to stop. Mostly because it is only with difficulty that I can keep myself awake, but also because it is time for ringing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    Maybe but,
    You have to turn your answer into something real after doing that. The hbar=c=1 thing is called 'natural units' but they're not that natural when you're actually measuring stuff. amu and eV turn out to be about as good when you're doing stuff with atoms.
    Yeah. There was just one really irritating question which basically required a load of conversion, application of E=mc^2, then a load more conversion, which was annoying when I need all the practice I can get with the stuff that actually requires thought.

Natural units worked fine for most of the questions, since a lot of it required a velocity in terms of c as an answer.

ReputationRep:
    An extremely good evening Feeling really happy and upbeat at the moment :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have work to do, and I'm feeling really motivated to do it, I'm just too tired after this morning's 6:45 fire alarm to take it all in properly :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    I have work to do, and I'm feeling really motivated to do it, I'm just too tired after this morning's 6:45 fire alarm to take it all in properly :mad:
    I need to do lots of reading tonight and I just want to flop and sleep

However I'm on a huge high. I was so worried about the supervision this afternoon. I was pretty sure he'd tell me to redo the entire draft, but he said it was really good :eek: He only wanted a few stylistic things altered :eek: :eek: :eek: He also asked what my grade was last year, and said it was very surprising and that I should definitely do dissertation instead of exam next year.

And after that I had an amazing roast turkey dinner with roast potato, stuffing, roast veg etc and lemon souffle for dessert :coma: (at Fusion)

ReputationRep:
    Awesome news Craggy

ReputationRep:
    I'm really glad that I found out that I can't do that example sheet without some proper revision of lecture notes. Sounds weird, but as the sheet is due in on Sunday, I might actually have decided not to look at it until tomorrow night, which would have been an awful time to discover that I wouldn't be able to do it :p: .

ReputationRep:
    I have an essay due on Sunday and am just now starting the reading. I think some economical reading is in order.
    minimo is the TSR thing on Sunday? If I finish this essay before then I might make it..

At present I'm advancing upon cowering piles of notes with a holepuncher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I have an essay due on Sunday and am just now starting the reading. I think some economical reading is in order.
    minimo is the TSR thing on Sunday? If I finish this essay before then I might make it..

At present I'm advancing upon cowering piles of notes with a holepuncher
    Yes! It would be awesome if you did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    An extremely good evening Feeling really happy and upbeat at the moment :yes:
    I opened a reply box with this quoted several hours ago. I can only assume I had something relevant to say .

ReputationRep:
    I need to do lots of reading tonight and I just want to flop and sleep

However I'm on a huge high. I was so worried about the supervision this afternoon. I was pretty sure he'd tell me to redo the entire draft, but he said it was really good :eek: He only wanted a few stylistic things altered :eek: :eek: :eek: He also asked what my grade was last year, and said it was very surprising and that I should definitely do dissertation instead of exam next year.

And after that I had an amazing roast turkey dinner with roast potato, stuffing, roast veg etc and lemon souffle for dessert :coma: (at Fusion)
    Wow, congratulations It must feel really nice to have that kind of recognition for your efforts

Now, having finished my Pratchett, do I stay up for the minority government poll?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    minimo is the TSR thing on Sunday?
    What is this TSR thing?

ReputationRep:
    I opened a reply box with this quoted several hours ago. I can only assume I had something relevant to say .
    How odd. I certainly haven't edited it, and don't recall quoting you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    What is this TSR thing?
    See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=731461

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Yes! It would be awesome if you did
    I'll bear it in mind.
    (Original post by ukebert)
    It must feel really nice to have that kind of recognition for your efforts
    Yes, and also nice not to have to forego sleep this week in order to rewrite it

ReputationRep:
    Someone in my house thought it would be a charitable idea to report our portable induction hob to the porters :dry: I have no idea why they felt the need to do this! We always clear up straight after using it, and I do all the dishes in the kitchen daily, including other peoples'! :mad: The porters just gave a warning and said not to do it again, but the porter in question was visibly pretty disgusted at the unwarranted spitefulness of whoever did it.

ReputationRep:
    Someone in my house thought it would be a charitable idea to report our portable induction hob to the porters :dry: I have no idea why they felt the need to do this! We always clear up straight after using it, and I do all the dishes in the kitchen daily, including other peoples'! :mad: The porters just gave a warning and said not to do it again, but the porter in question was visibly pretty disgusted at the unwarranted spitefulness of whoever did it.
    . That really sucks. You should go on a witchhunt :p:

P.S. I'm rather enjoying Durkheim now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    . That really sucks. You should go on a witchhunt :p:
    There are three possibilities. Two female freshers who we barely ever see, but who are close enough to the right kitchen to know about it, and the college's CICCU leader.
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    P.S. I'm rather enjoying Durkheim now
    Oh good I think he's more accessible than the other two.

ReputationRep:
    Argh : journal-finding skills so rubbish! :banghead:

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.