The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax
Argh : journal-finding skills so rubbish! :banghead:

I used to spend hours looking for journals, but now i've taken to just googling the titles and hoping for the best. I agree it's quite annoying for arts students :p:
Reply 2101
JSTOR: Search Results
"Zines and Zones of Desire: Mass-mediated love, National Romance, and Sexual Citizenship in Gay Indonesia"
"Home Range, Population structure and Spatial Organization of California Ground Squirrels"

"Reproductive effects of Nest-Marking studies in an American White Pelican Colony"

:eyeball:
In that order, I kid you not :dry:

Right that settles it. I think I've gone beyond the call of duty by now - I'm asking college to order it :judge:

And yeh this reminds me of the first crisis I had in Cambridge, when we had to do an essay on gender for Psychology with all those journals and stuff by Hines :>.<: I was reduced to tears by a reading list :rolleyes: (and the uncooperative attitude of my browser a night before the deadline)
Craghyrax
:eyeball:
In that order, I kid you not :dry:

Right that settles it. I think I've gone beyond the call of duty by now - I'm asking college to order it :judge:

And yeh this reminds me of the first crisis I had in Cambridge, when we had to do an essay on gender for Psychology with all those journals and stuff by Hines :>.<: I was reduced to tears by a reading list :rolleyes: (and the uncooperative attitude of my browser a night before the deadline)

OMG! I dread to think what you were actually trying to find :p:. I might read a few of those after I finish my Durkheim essay :p:
Reply 2103
Lol! "A ludicrous discipline? Ethnography and Game Studies" is what I'm after. I've just been led on a wild goose hunt by a site that held the PDF for it, let me login using Athens via Raven, and then simply sent me straight back to the bit telling me I needed to buy a subscription :mad:

Anyway.. I ought to be reading Sartre or sleeping :getmecoat: Good luck with the essay!
Craghyrax
Lol! "A ludicrous discipline? Ethnography and Game Studies" is what I'm after.

It seems a bit short, but is this it?
Reply 2105
alex_hk90
It seems a bit short, but is this it?

Thankyou :smile: I also came across it, but I think it is just the free abstract bit. Its 7 pages but the last of the 7 have 30 - 34 page numbers written on them.
Its not urgent fortunately - research for Christmas... just means I'll have to have a word with the authorities.
*sigh* So much for 12 hours work. I only woke up half an hour ago :yawn: My secondary alarm failed to go off.
Reply 2107
Craghyrax
Thankyou :smile: I also came across it, but I think it is just the free abstract bit. Its 7 pages but the last of the 7 have 30 - 34 page numbers written on them.
Its not urgent fortunately - research for Christmas... just means I'll have to have a word with the authorities.

But the first of the 7 has 29 on it? :s
Reply 2108
visesh
But the first of the 7 has 29 on it? :s

Either way, that's thirty odd pages missing I think :confused:
Reply 2109
The citation on top says 29-35 :s-smilie: I could be very wrong though!
Reply 2110
Journal articles are normally gonna be numbered with numbers starting from something other than 0 :p: Remember they've come out of a journal with loads of articles in...unless yours happened to be the first in that issue it can start on any page number.

Also: does the UL really not have it? You can't (in my experience) use Newton to search for individual journal articles, but you can find the journal itself and then so long as you have the year, edition and page number the article isn't hard to dig out.
Reply 2111
Heh no you're right. I was being very blonde - caught off guard by the mere 7 pages! Sorry, visesh and alex!

:vroam:
Craghyrax
Heh no you're right. I was being very blonde - caught off guard by the mere 7 pages! Sorry, visesh and alex!

No worries, it happens to all of us. :yep:
Incidentally that article looked quite interesting; is "game studies" a field developed out of game theory or something completely different?
Reply 2113
alex_hk90
No worries, it happens to all of us. :yep:
Incidentally that article looked quite interesting; is "game studies" a field developed out of game theory or something completely different?

I think its more about interaction between participants of online gaming communities, so ethnography/anthropology rather than economics :ninja:
"Virtual Work" is very porrly named.
So completely different. Game theory was always one of the things I regretted never reaching in maths - almost as great an example of the wonderful mathematical talent for abstraction as knot theory.
I need to learn some knots. /random statement I only know about 4, and always forget the clove hitch, turning it into a slip knot instead.
Game theory is awesome.

And on an unrelated note, I now understand optimality theory, and why it is a load of rubbish.
Reply 2118
Craghyrax
I think its more about interaction between participants of online gaming communities, so ethnography/anthropology rather than economics :ninja:

If done properly, that would be interesting. If not, it would be like the millions of **** newspaper articles written on online gaming.
Reply 2119
I'm suspecting the latter tbh.

Without any proof of course :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending