Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Erk - good luck

ReputationRep:
    It looks like I'm going to be helping out shepherding at the interviews this year I'm looking forward to it :king1:

The other day there was a sign outside Upper Hall saying 'Interviewing Techniques Seminar'. I was tempted to eavesdrop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    It looks like I'm going to be helping out shepherding at the interviews this year I'm looking forward to it :king1:

The other day there was a sign outside Upper Hall saying 'Interviewing Techniques Seminar'. I was tempted to eavesdrop.
    Very nice . I won't be staying long enough to help with interviews, but I bet it's a nice opportunity...

By the way, everyone who's still awake, read that: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=740204

Legendary :yep: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cragyrax)
    Nevertheless, you ought to apologise to the TSR community for your poor choice of wording, and promise to stick to 'cream cheese' from now on :hmmm: (especially given that any cream cheese would work :p:)
    :getmecoat:

In other news, I'm jumped up on caffine & complex German political thought. Yay.

Sleep is for the weak (or the organised, I forget which...) :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    HAHA!

Finished my stuff on opacity after about 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, me too! I'm excited because,
    a) I will finally see the interview process from the 'other side', as it were.
    b) I still remember meeting epitome on my interview day, & it would be cool to have some little freshers next year who remember me.
    c) It will give me a chance to enjoy Cambridge without the crushing pressure of deadlines...

ReputationRep:
    I'm interview helping toooo

Duties as Access doo dah begin! Eeeeek!

Although I really want to go home... but I shall just visit and come back, will be cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Oooh, me too! I'm excited because,
    a) I will finally see the interview process from the 'other side', as it were.
    b) I still remember meeting epitome on my interview day, & it would be cool to have some little freshers next year who remember me.
    c) It will give me a chance to enjoy Cambridge without the crushing pressure of deadlines...

Yeh, ditto the above I remember the students I met at my interview quite well, even though they don't return the favour (I didn't have dreadlocks at that stage)

Y: will look at it now...

Oh dear - persevere with reading, or sleep? :confused: KT how do you do your essays in so little time? Do you skim read or what? How long does writing take? Although I recognise you don't have that many, but rather other forms of punishment work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilY?)
    I'm interview helping toooo

Duties as Access doo dah begin! Eeeeek!

Although I really want to go home... but I shall just visit and come back, will be cool
    I went home last year, which prevented me from doing it. And ironically my family came to England to visit me the exact timing of our Open day in June, which prevented me helping out then :rolleyes: So yeh - about time!!! :judge:

Congrats again. At Peterhouse we don't sort out Hustings and the like till Lent, so the Access rep from my year is still in charge.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I always help out with the interviews. I sit there in my Pembroke JPC hoodie and they ask me what I'm applying for. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    By the way, everyone who's still awake, read that: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=740204
    :toofunny: Brilliant!!!

ReputationRep:
    My college didn't ask for help this year, but I would've done it if they had done. Last year they did ask, but I just wanted to go home and sleep at the end of my first term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    I always help out with the interviews. I sit there in my Pembroke JPC hoodie and they ask me what I'm applying for. :dry:
    :rofl:

And erk: I don't have a Peterhouse hoodie Where did you buy yours? I think there was an email with an order form at the start of this term but I was having a work crisis :o:

EDIT: Er clearly I can't read :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh, Nina I'm sure you told us a funny story about telling off some noisy applicants once :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear - persevere with reading, or sleep? :confused: KT how do you do your essays in so little time? Do you skim read or what? How long does writing take? Although I recognise you don't have that many, but rather other forms of punishment work.
    Hmmm, I've been asking myself the same question; I guess my reading list is fairly small (short key text in German, 3 criticisms, in which only a chapter or two of each are relevant). I just copy out quotations I think are relevant as I read, then when I'm done, draw up a sketchy plan (in case I get lost while writing), then off I go! I've never had much of a problem with writing, luckily, so I manage to get an essay written in a day or two, tops. It's the procrastination over the reading that gets me :rolleyes:

Is this a shamelessly cavalier way to approach Cambridge Essays?
    *if so, I will attempt to play my I'm-only-a-fresher-don't-hurt-me card...*

ReputationRep:
    I was cold, so I'm now wearing a foil blanket "acquired" from the Jesus boaties earlier. It's surprisingly effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)

Is this a shamelessly cavalier way to approach Cambridge Essays?
    *if so, I will attempt to play my I'm-only-a-fresher-don't-hurt-me card...*
    No, its the way most people survive their degrees and have a life at the same time :rolleyes:
    By rights I should have been removed from the University's gene pool from overwork. (in first year - this year's fine) Our reading lists are a different story though. Eg what the West Wing is covering right now is two primary sources (The Division of Labour in Society and Suicide by Durkheim, the first being nearly 500 pages) plus the criticisms/secondary to squeeze in on top.

So yeh, shortcuts are kind of inescapable.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh yeh, Nina I'm sure you told us a funny story about telling off some noisy applicants once :hmmmm:
    I most certainly did! In first year I was trying to sleep and they were running around, shrieking and generally being noisy and doing my head in. I went out and told them that current students were still here working and asked for their names and subjects applied for. I think I scared them because I didn't hear another peep out of them. hehehe

I also have an ordinary Pembroke hoodie, you can get them in all Colleges in a variety of colours from Ryder and Amies. They order them in but it took 2 days for mine to arrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    I also have an ordinary Pembroke hoodie, you can get them in all Colleges in a variety of colours from Ryder and Amies. They order them in but it took 2 days for mine to arrive.
    Last year Michaelmas Ryder and Amies only did those zip up blazers with college crests, rather than hoodies which were all University of Cambridge. I guess I just need to look at some of the other outfitters.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Mine's definitely not zip up, its over the head. I wanted a zip up but I couldnt find one.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.