Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not all the invigilators have worn gowns when I've done my Tripos exams.

I'm really tempted to wear a gown tomorrow now. Damn you!

ReputationRep:
    Omg, the full extent of my holiday work has hit me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Not all the invigilators have worn gowns when I've done my Tripos exams.

I'm really tempted to wear a gown tomorrow now. Damn you!
    You'll scare the ickle interviewees

ReputationRep:
    This is annoying, I now cannot find the bit in the ordinances that says an examiner should wear a gown, and can wear a hood if so desired :hmpf:

And it depends on the person. I wouldn't be scared by a gown :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Am now home. Jesus, this computer is awful. 1024x768 makes baby Jesus cry.

ReputationRep:
    I <3 my computer - I just got the new Macbook :proud:

It feels quite weird to be back at home - I'm glad to be with my family again and it seems as though I've never left, but at the same time I'm already starting to miss some aspects of life at Cambridge (not the work, unsurprisingly... which I've pushed to the far corner of my mind for at least the first few days).

Interview shepherding sounds quite fun; I might volunteer for that next year. I did see a few of the interviewees around on the last week of term, and I agree, some of them seemed scarily confident. I certainly was far more nervous when I was waiting for my interview. And I would have been very intimidated (but awed too) if the helpers went around in gowns :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I like my gown :o:
    We'd never have guessed

ReputationRep:
    I'm sooooooooo tired, bed for me, I have to be up to take the interviewees to breakfast tomorrow at 7:50, and it's soooo odd for there to be people in the rooms around me but them not to be my friends

Also I have my 1st piece of uni rugby stash :woo:

ReputationRep:
    How can Weber's politics be so much more interesting than his sociology? I'm not sure if I can carry on hating him any more now , my norms have been shattered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    How can Weber's politics be so much more interesting than his sociology? I'm not sure if I can carry on hating him any more now , my norms have been shattered.
    I didn't read his politics because I didn't have time last year :o: I agree about the Protestant Ethic, though - if that's what you mean. :sleep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I didn't read his politics because I didn't have time last year :o: I agree about the Protestant Ethic, though - if that's what you mean. :zzz:
    His politics is absolutely fascinating! It's much more logical too, not speculative and generally strange like Protestant Ethic :rolleyes: . My supervisor tells me you can't really understand/appreciate Protestant Ethic unless you've read "General Economic History", but it seems like too much effort so I'm just going to not bother with Weber's sociology :p:

ReputationRep:
    OMG how potent is this phrase to modern politics

"the submission of the ruled is in reality determined to a very great extent by the motives of fear and hope" - Max Weber

ReputationRep:
    His politics is absolutely fascinating! It's much more logical too, not speculative and generally strange like Protestant Ethic :rolleyes: . My supervisor tells me you can't really understand/appreciate Protestant Ethic unless you've read "General Economic History", but it seems like too much effort so I'm just going to not bother with Weber's sociology :p:
    I was fine with it, I think. I wrote an essay on Protestant Ethic in my exams, and Sociology was one of my better marks. I have a Christian background, and I think that helped with reading the links he was making between Calvinist doctrine and capitalism, even though I disagreed.

Maybe I'll have a chance to cover more Weber yet, but I admit I was put off by the first encounter.

How do you like working without the deadlines? Much nicer, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I was fine with it, I think. I wrote an essay on Protestant Ethic in my exams, and Sociology was one of my better marks. I have a Christian background, and I think that helped with reading the links he was making between Calvinist doctrine and capitalism, even though I disagreed.

Maybe I'll have a chance to cover more Weber yet, but I admit I was put off by the first encounter.

How do you like working without the deadlines? Much nicer, isn't it?
    I absolutely love it! I feel I can actually "enjoy" it if you know what I mean? Strangely enough I'm reading political theory books voluntarily at 1 AM despite not having been set an essay, and it feels really good :yep:

I guess re: Calvinism I felt there were too many "steps" in his explanation for it to really hold. I don't think I managed to grasp it holistically like someone with a Protestant background might, and that was quite off-putting.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love it! I feel I can actually "enjoy" it if you know what I mean? Strangely enough I'm reading political theory books voluntarily at 1 AM despite not having been set an essay, and it feels really good :yep:
    :five: Same here really I'm looking forward to starting my holiday work tomorrow. Its nice to still have use of the library without noisy students, and the aforementioned deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this applies to you, Athena, but just noticed it in an email:
    (Original post by Graduate Union Bulletin)
    Feedback on Graduate Admissions
    -------------------------------
    We are aware that for some of you the application and admissions process
    administered by the Board of Graduate Studies did not go smoothly. We would
    be very grateful if you could email Claudio, the faculty representative
    (cuk21), to share your experiences. Please include the year and course you
    applied for and describe in detail the difficulties you encountered and how
    you ultimately overcame them, indicating clearly if you would like to remain
    anonymous. Please try to write calmly and factually, even if you are
    frustrated! There are a number of people within the Board of Graduate
    Studies who are very committed to improving the system and the collection of
    your experiences will give them the necessary leverage to implement new
    ideas. Thank you very much in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, am now home and already bored.

On the plus side, I have noticed that the alternative name for Raven is Shibboleth. This is cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Hmm, am now home and already bored.

On the plus side, I have noticed that the alternative name for Raven is Shibboleth. This is cool.
    Who calls it that?

P.S. you should do what I'm doing, and get through more of the reading list voluntarily :p:

ReputationRep:
    You've inspired me, WestWing. I've made a start on one of my ethnographies.
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I saw it mentioned a few times online whilst hunting for journals :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Who calls it that?

P.S. you should do what I'm doing, and get through more of the reading list voluntarily :p:
    It says it somewhere on the main page I think. Anyway, I intend to do some reading soonish, though not necessarily of the reading list... I have a lot of cool stuff to read actually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.