Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got three books open. I think tiredness is making me indecided. I've just realised that I'm looking forward to light work and the sheepdogging more than to Christmas shopping (argh :>.< I'm looking forward to making mince pies though. I've arranged to spend Friday at my Gran's.

ReputationRep:
    Ah crap - the ethnography is post-structuralist :dry: *mutters*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Who calls it that?
    It's what the protocol is called when you use Raven to identify yourself as a member of Cambridge (it happens when you're trying to look at papers from outside the Cambridge network). I looked and it even has its own wikipedia page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Ah crap - the ethnography is post-structuralist :dry: *mutters*
    Ah, if you want to see an interesting ethnographic account then take a look at Malinowski's 'Argonauts of the Western Pacific'. Or perhaps Margaret Meads' 'Coming of Age in Samoa', which sparked the debate between herself and John Derek Freeman. Now, I just need to read over them before my interview tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Right. I have managed to wake up, I have so much work that I am trying not to think about it. The hard bit is actually getting round to doing it...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read his politics because I didn't have time last year :o: I agree about the Protestant Ethic, though - if that's what you mean. :sleep:
    Tbh, you don't need to look at every author in the Politics course. Focus on three and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Just what did the BoGS do to the applicants to warrant a line like that in the feedback form?!?

Please try to write calmly and factually, even if you are frustrated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Tbh, you don't need to look at every author in the Politics course. Focus on three and you'll be fine.
    I wouldn't totally agree with that. I focused on four last year (Hobbes, Sieyes, Kant, Marx), and it was my lowest mark :>.<: My supervisor recommended five to be safe.
    (Original post by Academix)
    Ah, if you want to see an interesting ethnographic account then take a look at Malinowski's 'Argonauts of the Western Pacific'. Or perhaps Margaret Meads' 'Coming of Age in Samoa', which sparked the debate between herself and John Derek Freeman. Now, I just need to read over them before my interview tomorrow
    Thanks, but I already covered those in first year.

ReputationRep:
    Typical British efficiency there

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I wouldn't totally agree with that. I focused on four last year (Hobbes, Sieyes, Kant, Marx), and it was my lowest mark :>.<: My supervisor recommended five to be safe.
    :eek: Really? I'm planning on covering Hobbes, Sieyes and the Federalist Papers... dunno which other ones, now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    :eek: Really? I'm planning on covering Hobbes, Sieyes and the Federalist Papers... dunno which other ones, now :eek:
    You still have plenty to go through in Lent, and you may prefer those (I did to some extent)
    The reason you should aim for a bit more is because the paper is sectioned. You don't have free choice of any three questions like you do in Sociology and Soc Anth. Psychology is worse.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Great. I've lost my NTL card so now I can't use the damn phone. It was on my desk a couple of days ago - where the hell is it now?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Why is Cambridge so hard to get to? I'm daydreaming about getting an interview (which will be a full day thing on a weekday in the middle of term), and I don't think there's anyway I can leave Oxford early enough in the morning to get to Cambridge and then to the Hinxton campus before about 10am, which may be too late. And since it's term time, Emma are unlikely to offer to put me up the night before. Urgh.
    There are loads of spare rooms available for renting - my friend's Dad stayed in Emma accomodation when he came to visit from Devon. I don't see why they shouldn't put you up if it's the only way you can possibly get to interview, and even if they won't give you a free room, the room rent isn't astronomical, even for guests. I'm sure they'll be accommodating, it does tend to be a fairly practical college.

I don't want to go home I'm not leaving until Wednesday but two of my best friends have already left and it's getting a little lonely. I love Cambridge far too much, and would rather stay here and have double the holiday work than go back

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh it's so stressful, mountains of work to get on with. And I'm just not enjoying the French at the moment, at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not done any work today. w00p.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't totally agree with that. I focused on four last year (Hobbes, Sieyes, Kant, Marx), and it was my lowest mark :>.<: My supervisor recommended five to be safe.Thanks, but I already covered those in first year.
    I'm going to go for Hobbes, Sieyes, Weber, Tocqueville, Schmitt and Schumpeter I think. I really enjoy those authors anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've got back into my term time work pattern, go to library, can't do work, nap. excellent. however I did manage an hour in the gym today so feel some what vindicated.

ReputationRep:
    Awww, I met my first TSR applicant today! She seems inordinately impressed to meet me :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Awww, I met my first TSR applicant today! She seems inordinately impressed to meet me :o:

That's cute! What's she wanting to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifulGirlxxx)
    That's cute! What's she wanting to study?
    Economics - it was Pandapple, but that probably doesn't mean much to people outside the Newnham thread.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.