Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That sucks. What if they get lost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeezebox)
    Me, N and D () were discussing what you could say to them. It was mostly along the lines of you telling them about the questions asked in you own interview, namely: " If an integer n is greater than 2, then the equation a^{n} + b^{n} = c^{n} has no solutions in non-zero integers a, b, and c" and " can every even integer greater than 2 can be written as the sum of two primes?" . :p:
    Ooh, banterous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    College today told me that I'd be moving on Friday - with all my things - from one room to another, for three weeks because they don't want me in this house. No they're not using it - but they want everyone in one house for fire safety :dry: I said no way. I've roughly negotiated them letting me leave everything in this room locked up, and taking a few possessions out. Last time I moved, I filled up an entire minibus with my things :motz:

[/RANT]
    And I'm exhausted! I shepherded from 9 - 6, which isn't that long, but somehow tired me immensely :yawn:
    The way to do it would be to say "Well, unless you pack up my stuff, load the taxi, pay the taxi, unpack the taxi and put mmy new room back to rights then I see no reason to move" :p:

Out of order :sadnod:

Well, my sister is off, staying with my Grandmother overnight. I have already been over with her where Jesus is and where each interview is within Jesus, just in case she has my sense of direction (generally she's not as bad as me though) :hmpf: And I have to get up at a normal time (not that I'll have a choice, last bit of building work) in order to be in Cambridge, so night everyone

And it is snowing :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Ooh, banterous
    And illegal (in the localised sense)

:bawling: My kettle broke. And I loved it. It was an old round dome shaped stainless steel kettle with a black handle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)

And it is snowing :love:
    Unfair Everywhere except where I am.
    See you tomorrow :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Would you not rather a nice new modern model?

ReputationRep:
    Unfair Everywhere except where I am.
    See you tomorrow :sigh:
    Oh wait, it has stopped now :hmpf:

Well it was snowing for half an hour anyway

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't know what I've done? I've deleted my post anyway...
    I think the arts students didn't get the joke...

ReputationRep:
    If an integer n is greater than 2, then the equation a^{n} + b^{n} = c^{n} has no solutions in non-zero integers
    Oh please do it. Please.

ReputationRep:
    squeezebox: you can't be at fault for talking about telling the interviewees what their questions very well could be. You could be warned if you tried to do it via TSR though - or if your college found you doing it.
    You didn't get it! Awww, ickle art's student. :p:

/patronising

EDIT: I had better explain.

can every even integer greater than 2 can be written as the sum of two primes?

Is I think unprovable, or hasn't been proved yet.

If an integer n is greater than 2, then the equation a^{n} + b^{n} = c^{n} has no solutions in non-zero integers

Is Fermat's last theorem, which occupied the minds of some of the finest mathematicians of the past 400 (?) years until it was solved using a technique which I do not understand by some bloke in the 90's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I think the arts students didn't get the joke...
    Well that might be because 'the arts student' can't do maths [shock horror]

Would you be amused if two of you broke out into Hindi and then suddenly commented - Oh look, the English speaker didn't understand :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    Aww come on, let us have our fun :p:

ReputationRep:
    *spoils*

It was Fermat's Last Theorem, which remained unsolved for hundreds of years and was only solved in the 1990s by Andrew Wiles using mathematical ideas that are not even introduced until the third year, I think. There's no way it could've been an interview question, although I guess that any Cambridge applicant should recognise it as FLT.

ReputationRep:
    Any Cambridge "Maths" applicant

although I knew it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    *spoils*

It was Fermat's Last Theorem, which remained unsolved for hundreds of years and was only solved in the 1990s by Andrew Wiles using mathematical ideas that are not even introduced until the third year, I think. There's no way it could've been an interview question, although I guess that any Cambridge applicant should recognise it as FLT.
    I see

ReputationRep:
    Wannabe mathmos don't count :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wannabe mathmos don't count :p:
    :cry:

*has been cut to the quick* :sad:

:p:

Bed! Why is it that I log on to check what time I'm supposed to be at the plodge and end up on here for another half an hour? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Craggy is not impressed

Ukebert is no longer a son to be proud of

Family rifts, Cambridge style, must involve something intellectual such as Fermat's Last Theorem! Jeremy Kyle couldn't sort that one out :p:

ReputationRep:

Would you be amused if two of you broke out into Hindi and then suddenly commented - Oh look, the English speaker didn't understand :eyeball:
    Jumps in: If you didn't understand it, how could you declare it illegal? :p:

(Original post by Y__)
    *spoils*

Highly unlikely even that any undergrad would be able to understand it fully.

ReputationRep:
    Any Cambridge "Maths" applicant

Oops. I meant to write that, yeah. Don't know how I missed it .

Obviously a History applicant needs to know as much about FLT as I know about 16th century British history .

(Original post by Thicky)

Highly unlikely even that any undergrad would be able to understand it fully.
    I'm not too sure. I know I'd have no chance, but I guess there are some quite extraordinary mathmos here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.