Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just from the last day or so:

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    Lol - how was it you? You just passed on banter, which was appreciated by most. Clearly I'm just on a long post ranting spree that's indiscriminative of targets, so I should apologise if anyone :p:
    Clearly I only declared it illegal because I misunderstood it. If I had recognised that the example used was an impossibility I could not have assumed squeezebox was tempted to provide interviewees with last year's interview questions.
    Clearly that's only an improvement. I have no idea what you're complaining about :p:

Just happened to notice this predilection and since you were discussing Pratchett's The Truth where the use of 'clearly' is mentioned (in relation to the Bursar, if you forget) :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Gah! Searching Varsity is really hard. Mainly because I can't remember the title of the article, and the keyword is probably 'subject' :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Just happened to notice this predilection and since you were discussing Pratchett's The Truth where the use of 'clearly' is mentioned (in relation to the Bursar, if you forget) :p: :p:
    I can blame everything on Pratchett? Sorted! :king1:
    And we sure joke alot about stalking on here, but I think you take the prize :p:

ReputationRep:
    Gah! Searching Varsity is really hard. Mainly because I can't remember the title of the article, and the keyword is probably 'subject' :rolleyes:

I can blame everything on Pratchett? Sorted! :king1:
    And we sure joke alot about stalking on here, but I think you take the prize :p:
    :ninja: In fairness that selection was from your last few posts so it easily stuck in the mind :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    :ninja: In fairness that selection was from your last few posts so it easily stuck in the mind :p:
    Fair does.

Wow - there are so many threads I could end by linking to Varsity :eek: Its amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varsity)
    Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, for instance, seems not so much to be scraping the barrel of public regard as licking
    the underside of it, trying to get back in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Yeah, I was being serious

I was reading some Durkheim today and I just realised that it had absolutely no relevance to the real world (or at least to the career that I want to have). I wish I'd stuck with my first choice of applying to do two languages.
    I actually think Durkheim is one of the more relevant things we study :>.<: . Did you come across Merton's work on anomie within inner city communities?

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Cambridge has a heirarchy of degrees, and that mentality is conditioned into students from day one. Last year Varsity had a poll measuring subjects on two scales - the most useful and the most academic. Pretty indicative. IMO that's the same as attaching weight to the general posting consensus on TSR. Popular opinion does not equal truth. I think my life on TSR is about that :>.<:
    I can't find it :hmpf: I have only found the many ccomplaints from Vikings ASNaC's on how their degree is not worthless :p:

ReputationRep:
    And do those articles reference the original survey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Does anyone actually do their degree because it's 'useful'? I know I don't - I'm studying a so called 'useful' degree because I love it, not because I want to use it later. That is, I'm not studying Spanish and Russian to lead me anywhere, I just love them and love learning them, in pretty much the same way that I loved learning History at A level
    i couldnt agree more!!!

ReputationRep:
    Right--this is pretty random, but anyone know where I can get my eyebrows done here?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    just popping in to say hello. still ill, so going back to bed.

ReputationRep:

Did you post in the Fresher chat thread this year? I don't recognise you :o: but hello anyway :cool:
    Nope I didn't :o: I wanted to make sure I got my grades before being too presumptious, lol. But hi,

ReputationRep:
    Hello all! I posted in the fresher's chat thread a while back, and now term's over I'm back on TSR. I will do my introduction again, but I cba at the moment :P

How are you all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Hello all! I posted in the fresher's chat thread a while back, and now term's over I'm back on TSR. I will do my introduction again, but I cba at the moment :P

How are you all?
    I remember you Can't remember subject or college though I'm afraid :o:

(Original post by visesh)
    And do those articles reference the original survey?
    Yes, but it wasn't coming up on the search :hmpf:

My sister's interview went reasonably well it seems I actually had rather a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I remember you Can't remember subject or college though I'm afraid :o:
    W00t! I'm at Queens' doing maths. You were... Um. Engineering at Downing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Craggy, do you know what date the Varsity with the subject rankings was? I want to try and find it online :p:
    Nov 2nd 2007 here http://www.varsity.co.uk/archive/664.pdf. See pages 22 and 23, 'A Very Subjective Perspective'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    W00t! I'm at Queens' doing maths. You were... Um. Engineering at Downing?
    Close :p: Engineering at Peterhouse

ReputationRep:
    Close :p: Engineering at Peterhouse
    Hmm, I met someone from Peterhouse. Did you come to Queens' silent disco? (Chances that it was you are very slim, but it's worth a shot :P It's worked twice so far, actually...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Hmm, I met someone from Peterhouse. Did you come to Queens' silent disco? (Chances that it was you are very slim, but it's worth a shot :P It's worked twice so far, actually...)
    I'm not the type for discos :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the type for discos :p:
    Most excellent. Me neither. The Peterhousean in question was outside watching people vomit at the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.