Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    No I disagree. I believe that attitudes to spending don't suddenly kick in with one or two types of commodity. If a person is relaxed about spending, they don't suddenly tighten up and start calculating the prices of detergents, and working out their average useage a month. People are too quick to replace things if something gets temporarily lost, or appears to stop working. And the wasteful element of it is also pretty explanatory.
    I do believe that attitudes to spending change depending on the type of commodity, and don't see how they cannot :p: I will argue this point if you like but I don't want it to look like I'm just arguing for the sake of it, as you intimated earlier :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    I pick up on what can be picked upon, :p: and I don't think you can equate the treatment of holiday chalets with an entire country's attitude to cleanliness, and by that I mean the cleanliness within Britain, which is what I understand you to mean. My aside suggested exactly that other countries do not engage in the same past times, that the British are much more likely to get drunk whilst on holiday, by the by, and I hinted that to link the treatment of chalets, where there are people paid to tidy up, to the cleanliness of a country is to assume that there is an expectation that behaviour must be constant despite the different specific situation. In a chalet people can be on holiday from their normality and to say that it is a continuation of normal behaviour is strange. Surely you must comment on different nationalities and their beliefs as to behaviour on holiday and what state they are willing to leave their chalet in. If you had said that the English are dirtier and meant in chalets, abroad, on holiday, and given your anecdotal evidence it would have been perfectly reasonable and I would have agreed with you to boot (not that that is important!).
    [Everything I said in the last post] + no, I think those behaviours are interlinked, not separate.
    As to your proof/strong evidence, you may have visited many countries but did you stay with 15 families in each one?
    In America and Germany, yes.
    Did you spend as much time in each one?
    At least a week in each.
    Were those families a true reflection of the broad spectrum of English people?
    :rofl: Obviously not. But it wasn't limited to one 'class' if that's what you mean.
    Apart from the family 'shocked' by SA have you spoken to a great deal of English/British people about their views of other countries?
    Yes, as said before. And often other people raised it, or initiated the observation rather than me.
    Pubs are a bit ****, yes.
    My argument is on the table, and I think its sufficiently indicative for me to formulate an opinion.
    My first post stated my awareness that it wasn't empirical research. Just an opinion. I don't think an opinion is necessarily nonsense if not backed up by scientific evidence. You could mention some experience which strongly contrasts mine from a wide range of sources, but if you don't have anything like that, then I haven't claimed to be speaking gospel truth. I've just asserted my impression, which could easily change in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Eeek.. got to dash. Peterhouse to Homerton in 15mins. I thinketh not :>.<:
    I do believe that attitudes to spending change depending on the type of commodity, and don't see how they cannot :p: I will argue this point if you like but I don't want it to look like I'm just arguing for the sake of it, as you intimated earlier :o:
    I probably didn't explain precisely what I meant clearly enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    We can bring in any wine without corkage. Only one between two officially though, but with judicious placing under the table, it's not a problem since they don't check as you enter.

:eek: £4.20?!?! That's absolute top-end in my circle of friends Sainsbury's basics/slightly better but half-price 4tw!
    Selwyn have got the worse end of things, I see But we are still one of the few remaining formals who can take a whole bottle per person in, and we're one of the best formals, so it's okay I do love Selwyn formals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Eeek.. got to dash. Peterhouse to Homerton in 15mins. I thinketh not :>.<:
    I probably didn't explain precisely what I meant clearly enough.

^^ and above: ok :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Selwyn have got the worse end of things, I see But we are still one of the few remaining formals who can take a whole bottle per person in, and we're one of the best formals, so it's okay I do love Selwyn formals.
    Perhaps. But only because John's reverted from their recent Draconian policy.

Argh :vroam:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by brimstone)
    There's no corkage fee at Pembroke, and it's also one bottle per person.

ReputationRep:
    Jeebus, 5 pages in less than a day.

I've been in theatre all day (8am-7) and it was pretty amazing. I'm slowly coming round to surgery now. Being able to hold instruments correctly gets you lots of brownie points and a chance to suture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    And Tradition is not always artificial :hmmm:
    Ranger and Hobsbawn, eds, 1985.

(I might have the date wrong, cba to google it)

ReputationRep:
    Random Question:

Does Kings have any residences, of any kind, down Tennis Court Road?

ReputationRep:
    IIRC yes, or very near there.

ReputationRep:
    Re: national cleanliness, what I always do find very odd when I'm in France is that their supermarkets (especially the E. Leclerc ones) smell horrific. Like they've got a huge mound of rotting rubbish hidden somewhere near the entrance. I've no idea why, but it seems to be the case all over the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    There's no corkage fee at Pembroke, and it's also one bottle per person.
    :ditto: at Emma. And I'm not sure I've paid £4.20 for a bottle of wine the whole time I've been at Cambridge :p:

ReputationRep:
    ^ O.o

I really have trouble drinking cheap wine... I'd rather stick to beer if we're going down that route.

Also, more importantly, how do you see your end of term reports? I know my DoS showed me, but I was dazed/praying for it to end, so literally took nothing in :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)

Also, more importantly, how do you see your end of term reports? I know my DoS showed me, but I was dazed/praying for it to end, so literally took nothing in :/
    Do you mean supervision reports? If so any that have been released should be on CamCORS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    Random Question:

Does Kings have any residences, of any kind, down Tennis Court Road?
    There's a lot just off Fitzwilliam Street.

ReputationRep:
    My Soc Anth supervisors seems to have given me a 2.1/first for my report :lolwut: And he's put my interest as 'enthusiastic' :confused:

That's not me at all

ReputationRep:
    Groovy_moose:Yeah, we do, opposite the Downing site, on the corner of TCR and Fitz street.. Funnily enough, it's called the Tennis Court Road (TCR) hostel.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by -Matt-)
    Do you mean supervision reports? If so any that have been released should be on CamCORS
    Thanks for reminding me to check CamCORS; I still had one more report to come but it's now been submitted.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one here who so far has found none of the supervisions/reports useful? I know out of the Queens' mathmos I'm definitely not alone, but how about people outside of maths and queens'?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.