Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well after horse riding, climbing and ice skating I think I have a good head for height and for falling - which helps. But I was very pleasantly surprised by falling whilst skiing. Basically I find it impossible to feel scared while skiing because when you do inevitably fall it doesn't hurt because you just gently slide into mounds of powder. I once went flying into a patch of ice face first which was kind of sore, and knocked the breath out of me..but it wasn't really sore. Its more humorous than unpleasant.

And yeh I know about the bruises. While I was still climbing regularly my legs were always covered in bruises.
    I can ice skate surprisingly well actually, maybe it won't be so bad. I was way keen on roller blading/ice skating when I was younger, til I broke my arm roller blading and went off both for a couple of years. Glad to hear it doesn't hurt! Making a fool of myself isn't that worrying either, considering the number of times I've fallen over climbing the stairs to my room with the people who I'm going with, so it's all good I think I'm just hoping for a bit of harmless fun and a week with my friends really!

ReputationRep:
    They say that if you can ice skate, skiing is easy to pick up. I certainly found that to be true.
    What I don't get is snow boarding, and I won't touch it with a barge pole. I suspect that if you can skate board, snowboarding is much easier. I never managed to skate board - I did try..but it just didn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, goodie Well I can skate fairly competently so I might be okay. Yayy! I wouldn't snowboard though, skateboarding was always a bit of a fail for me...

ReputationRep:
    Aw, so pretty! :love:

Hmm.. I've got washing, gym, dinner and lots of work to sort out! :nutcase:

ReputationRep:
    Aw, so pretty! :love:

Hmm.. I've got washing, gym, dinner and lots of work to sort out! :nutcase:
    That is one of my favourite carols :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    That is one of my favourite carols :love:
    I never really had any, but I think that's it

Right. Gym :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I never really had any, but I think that's it

Right. Gym :sigh:
    Lessee, O come o come emmanuel, hark, sussex, merry gentleman. Most of the rest are dire :p:

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised. I always thought I'd hate it - the thought of plummeting downhill out of control was not very appealing. I only tried it out because I worked for some friends who have a company in a ski resort. (Similar thing with rock climbing actually - only tried it out because I was offered a job at a climbing centre) - and yeh turned out I loved it! I got pretty competant quite quickly too. I was happy on reds and prodding blacks by the time I left.
    Ah this reassures me! I'm going on a ski trip in the easter hols (which I suspect I can't really afford either... plus it's going to get in the way of my revision for early easter term exams. nvm!) and slightly worried that I'm going to hate it / will manage to injure myself.

Should be fun though and a nice chance to relax before exams. And I'm going with some people I actually like rather than the Varsity trip which is what people go on to be in with the cool crowd. </cynical>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Ah, but I'm the kind of person who bounces off the walls, walks into doorframes and habitually trips over. I'm seriously uncoordinated
    Me too, I'm known as a really clumsy person. But provided you have the confidence to just throw yourself down the slope, ski-ing is easy Snow is pretty forgiving to fall over into....just have your bindings loose to start with so you don't break legs/joints in the more spectacular of crashes and all will be well

edit: snowboarding's nice if you want to get airborne (I never really got the hang of ski-jumping And those crashes tend to be the most painful) but ski-ing's best otherwise...you can go so much faster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Me too, I'm known as a really clumsy person. But provided you have the confidence to just throw yourself down the slope, ski-ing is easy Snow is pretty forgiving to fall over into....just have your bindings loose to start with so you don't break legs/joints in the more spectacular of crashes and all will be well

edit: snowboarding's nice if you want to get airborne (I never really got the hang of ski-jumping And those crashes tend to be the most painful) but ski-ing's best otherwise...you can go so much faster
    :ditto: except snowboarding which I can't comment on. Once you've figured out how to parallel turn, skiing fast is insanely fun

And yeh, Fish. That's pretty much why I avoid the college trip. It would be stressful and irritating to be stuck with people I don't get on with for several days. I'd rather go alone to muck about on the slopes than that!

ReputationRep:
    They're still selling it online, and a small selection at Benets coffee shop. But its not the same :reaper:
    The tea and coffee stall on the market does some good loose-leaf teas, if that's any comfort... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidka)
    The tea and coffee stall on the market does some good loose-leaf teas, if that's any comfort... ?
    Not really, but thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've never been skiing, but I'd like to try! I skateboarded for many years though so many snowboarding would be more my thing.
    I have so much work to do and I haven't really done any yet, there's not enough hours in the day! Especially with the snooker on :ninjagirl:

It's my birthday two weeks today! Rich bought me new hamsters as a present, and to cheer me up. I have 3 Russian dwarf hamsters called Snowy, Shadow and Cookie, I'll get some pictures when I'm back at my laptop. They are SO tiny! All 3 fit in my hand with plenty of room to spare!

I'm also going wedding dress shopping again tomorrow, which is exciting!

ReputationRep:
    Russian hamsters are very sweet if somewhat aggressive.

3rd of Jan isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I had the strangest dream. I dreamt that I went to see a doctor next term 'cause I was feeling crap. The symptoms also included my hair looking as if I had painted it with red metallic paint. He diagnosed me with something serious beginning with E, brought on by me not having cereal for breakfast any more. I had to have a paiinful injection every half hour or so, and the prognosis wasn't lookiing good. I did however decide to go tobogganing with Craggy, FTB and scarlet ibis, eventually deciding to go on an inddurance toboggan hike, starting off with a massive jump, which sent my toboggan careering into a cliff instead of into the river (it could float, and I had a paddle). The hike was between Sheffield and Peterborough, and I had to drag this toboggan behind me when I wasn't using it to go down hills or cross/paddle down rivers. On the first day I tried to paddle down a river, but got kicked out as it was the last nesting place for otters in the county. So I crashed at some strangers house, and they give me a sofa to lie on. I then found that I had packed 3 music stands for some reason and had forgot the tent, when I woke up.

ReputationRep:
    :>.<:

ReputationRep:
    Strange, strange boy.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    2nd. One likes me and bites Rich, another likes Rich and bites me. The third one generally seems a bit confused, and squeaks like a dog toy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    The third one generally seems a bit confused, and squeaks like a dog toy.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm really sad - First Class Teas is closing down I practically go in there every day I have lectures for tea and a biscuit, and I buy loads of their loose tea. I can't believe I'll never see the friendly staff again :bawling:

that's so depressing! do you know why?

Sussex carol
    that and in the deep midwinter are my favourites :yes:

freaky dream
    you ARE odd :p: but tobogganing with you and james and craggy would be awesome!

in other news i erged for the first time last night. i hurt. but i was pretty happy with it and it did help my technique a lot. sadly it meant i didn't see epitome's nativity play.

(Original post by epitome)
    come and see me dressed up in a silly costume!
    sorry! i had told the women's captain that i'd erg. how did it go?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.