Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    By nasty.. I just mean that Peterhouse is turning really commercial and charging people for sneezing these days :dry:
    How many surprise charges are you being hit with? :P Queens' have the surprise (for me, anyway, as I didn't apply there so didnt know about it) £210 caution money, then the surprise £135 per term heating bill, then the surprise of spontaneous internet charges when you're in the top 20 users at Queens', then having to pay for electricity _also_ on top of rent! Lotsa money gone down the drain :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Argh.. I'm going to Bristol tomorrow and I haven't even started packing :>.<:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    ...and we have a May Ball every year.
    :rofl: always a plus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)

Hmmm, I should actually contribute something to the thread...

If I were to change college I'd go for... well, I wouldn't :p:
    I applied to Emma What are the mathmos like there?

*please say horrendous please say horrendous please say horrendous* :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    How many surprise charges are you being hit with? :P Queens' have the surprise (for me, anyway, as I didn't apply there so didnt know about it) £210 caution money, then the surprise £135 per term heating bill, then the surprise of spontaneous internet charges when you're in the top 20 users at Queens', then having to pay for electricity _also_ on top of rent! Lotsa money gone down the drain :yep:
    I'm hoping we don't have any like that As far as I know heating, internet, electricity etc are all included in rent - at least, they weren't included on our estimation of costs sheet. We did have over £1000 caution money though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Oh that sounds rubbish No we're ok I think. The main irritation is that food portions have gone down quite a bit, and prices have really rocketed. Rent has increased significantly, but apparently this is because they froze prices for a few years which makes the contrast very steep when they unfroze it.

We don't have any surprises. Electricity and heating come with rent. But freshers do pay £100 caution money instead of the £40 I paid at the start.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping we don't have any like that As far as I know heating, internet, electricity etc are all included in rent - at least, they weren't included on our estimation of costs sheet. We did have over £1000 caution money though
    Aye. That was one good thing about not getting in to Emma :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I applied to Emma What are the mathmos like there?

*please say horrendous please say horrendous please say horrendous* :P
    Well, one of them's my boyfriend, so they're pretty okay

*hides from social stigma of having a mathmo boyfriend*

Actually, I love most of them - two of the others are two of my bestest best friends at college. Don't know about half of them that well.

Oh wait, I was mean to say horrendous. Erm, yes, they're horrendous, HORRENDOUS I tell you. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. You're better off at Queens', honest

ReputationRep:
    Oh that sounds rubbish No we're ok I think. The main irritation is that food portions have gone down quite a bit, and prices have really rocketed. Rent has increased significantly, but apparently this is because they froze prices for a few years which makes the contrast very steep when they unfroze it.

We don't have any surprises. Electricity and heating come with rent. But freshers do pay £100 caution money instead of the £40 I paid at the start.
    Whenever they've given me a smaller one I've just asked for some more. It's never been a problem.

I wonder whether we could stage some kind of protest...

ReputationRep:
    Well my cousin's a Queen's mathmo, so that's clearly the best college to be in :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Well, one of them's my boyfriend, so they're pretty okay

*hides from social stigma of having a mathmo boyfriend*

Actually, I love most of them - two of the others are two of my bestest best friends at college. Don't know about half of them that well.

Oh wait, I was mean to say horrendous. Erm, yes, they're horrendous, HORRENDOUS I tell you. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. You're better off at Queens', honest

Nah, Queens' mathmos aren't all that :P (Apart from Craggy's cousin Anthony who is awesome). At least there -are- other good mathmos (besides me, of course :P) out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

Nah, Queens' mathmos aren't all that :P (Apart from Craggy's cousin Anthony who is awesome). At least there -are- other good mathmos (besides me, of course :P) out there!
    Yeah, if I'm honest, the Emma lot are a pretty cool bunch Mostly not stereotypical mathmos at all. Find them in lectures - they'll be the ones sleeping :p: Or not there at all, which happens fairly often also

ReputationRep:
    Aw Why's that? Bad supervisors, or are they just a very geeky/un-befriendable bunch?

I wish Peterhouse mathmos in my year didn't live up to stereotypes, but they do. Four of them are very nerdy (in a nice way of course) and all had firsts or high 2.1s And the two unusually well dressed, social-skilled mathmos also 1: degraded in order to do architecture instead and 2: did very poorly and struggles with maths

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's well dressed/social skilled and seems to be walking a first at the moment I think I just got lucky :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if I'm honest, the Emma lot are a pretty cool bunch Mostly not stereotypical mathmos at all. Find them in lectures - they'll be the ones sleeping :p: Or not there at all, which happens fairly often also
    Ah - people at Queens' are always horrified to learn there are -seventeen- mathmo freshers there, and they can name 9 at the most (average is 7). Though those seven aren't really stereotypical :P And I have the distinct honour of being branded the most social of them Which says something about the rest, tbh :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Ah - people at Queens' are always horrified to learn there are -seventeen- mathmo freshers there, and they can name 9 at the most (average is 7). Though those seven aren't really stereotypical :P And I have the distinct honour of being branded the most social of them Which says something about the rest, tbh :P
    Yeah, people are always surprised that there are 9 at Emma... I think there are 9 anyway I know all of them I think, but that's by virtue of having mathmo friends. I'm sure they're all lovely even if some of them are quiet, they are at Emma after all!

ReputationRep:
    Aw Why's that? Bad supervisors, or are they just a very geeky/un-befriendable bunch?

I wish Peterhouse mathmos in my year didn't live up to stereotypes, but they do. Four of them are very nerdy (in a nice way of course) and all had firsts or high 2.1s And the two unusually well dressed, social-skilled mathmos also 1: degraded in order to do architecture instead and 2: did very poorly and struggles with maths
    Read above about the 'seventeen mathmos' story :P But yeah... I was in a group of five mathmos for a while, but I think the compscis are more fun so I migrated. (Our year's incredibly lucky with the compscis - I'm geekier than half of them I met a second year compsci though and balance was returned to the universe with his complete lack of social skills :yep: )

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we have any compscis, but I'm probably wrong.
    Yeh I wouldn't ever describe my cousin as social :hmmmm: 17 is pretty crazy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we have any compscis, but I'm probably wrong.
    Yeh I wouldn't ever describe my cousin as social :hmmmm: 17 is pretty crazy.
    The years above us have only 12 and 13, so quite a few are for the chop this year methinks :P

ReputationRep:
    I have just noticed, although I was supposed to go to bed, that Fitzwilliam is severely underepresented in this thread. What's wrong with it? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    The years above us have only 12 and 13, so quite a few are for the chop this year methinks :P
    Maths is reasonably mainstream as a discipline, at least. I was very surprised at Kings having about 12 SPSers simply because its a relatively small subject for many colleges. In first year there were about 150 of us.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.