Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And it was a lovely day for the solstice as well

Still, just think that if you were in Lofoten, say, then the sun would have stopped coming up at all about a month ago :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who hasn't done any work yet this vacation? As in, none at all?! :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Am I the only one who hasn't done any work yet this vacation? As in, none at all?! :no:
    No, see my post #3673 . I am definitely planning to start tomorrow, though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    No, see my post #3673 . I am definitely planning to start tomorrow, though...
    Reassuring! I can't concentrate this close to Christmas, so I'm just giving up hope until after. No point in making plans I'll never meet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Reassuring! I can't concentrate this close to Christmas, so I'm just giving up hope until after. No point in making plans I'll never meet!
    I'd like to, but I really must not postpone it until after Christmas, otherwise I'll never meet my grade predictions in the mock exam :no: ...

ReputationRep:
    I have succeeded in doing absolutely no work at all since leaving Cambridge. This may prove to be a problem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    I have succeeded in doing absolutely no work at all since leaving Cambridge. This may prove to be a problem...
    :five:

Do you also have a mock exam when you're coming back?

ReputationRep:
    I have tried to do work, I haven't been completely successful :o:

I will need to work my socks off after Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    I've done some vaguely work-coloured things (read: almost everything I do), but no actual work.

ReputationRep:
    Argh! Stop posting, damn you (pl)! I have about 10 pages to catch up... :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I've done a bit of work now, but still quite a lot to do.

ReputationRep:
    re: Craggy

I wondered where you had got to :p:

How is Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    Wow You listened...
    (Original post by minimo)
    I thought it was only guys who used protein powder :o:. How does it benefit you? I need tips.
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    I too am interested in how worth it this is... I've wonered about using it in conjuntion with gym-ing, particularly since i'm vegetarian but i wasn't sure how much difference it actually makes...
    How does it benefit you? Well a large percentage of the benefits of exercise are lost if you fail to eat enough protein. Your body needs nutrition most urgently in the first hour after exercise. Its particularly important for building and repairing the muscle stretched by exercise. So yeh its pretty bad if you don't have any after working out - for starters it hampers the improving of your fitness, and it also means you're significantly stiffer the next day.
    And no, men aren't a different species Women are silly to worry that they'll overdevelop their muscles by using weights or working out alot. Your body is female and will behave naturally unless you were doing something ridiculous like using steroids :p:
    For getting fit fast, I'd suggest doing something cardiovascular for half an hour at least every other day. Every day is the easiest because you get into the habit and its less of a pain. Just use an exercise bike, cross trainer or treadmill. Do five mins easy, and then go up to the hardest level you can sustain for 30mins and then come back down again (that's the easiest) if you keep pushing your limits you'll find you'll be able to manage harder levels as you keep doing it. The recommended guideline is keeping your heartrate over 160 for at least 30mins at a time (which the equipment will measure for you)
    If you can find someone to show you a few general exercises using assisted equipment or free weights, that would be good to do occasionally (I aim for twice a week, but even once a week is very useful - it has loads of health benefits) but this isn't necessary for becoming fit quickly - cardio is the quickest route, and the easiest and most important thing to keep up. If you manage to incorporate it into your schedule successfully then think about branching out. Oh and if anyone tries to teach you circuits, bludgeon them over the head with a halibut :dry:
    groovy moose: I'd say protein is even more essential if you're a vegetarian. If you're gymning you definitely need it! Protein powder is the cheapest form of protein you can by, and supplements are much easier to manage than buying meat that you then need to cook, or buying loads of dairy products. Whey protein from myprotein.co.uk is very good. As stressed above, its absolutely essential when you're trying to improve fitness otherwise half the work is wasted, and that's the easiest and cheapest solution. And it tastes fine.

(Original post by brimstone)
    :ditto: I'm surprised I'm enjoying it. But I thought we were supposed to read it for Soc Anth :confused:
    Sociology and Anthropology refer to eachother hugely. Many of the most important social theorists are very widely relevant - I'm finding my first year of Soc Anth extremely useful as a background this year. It was nasty while I was doing it, but some of the more interesting bits I learnt.. and many of the main principles.. are making Part II Sociology more readily accessible, which is cool Mind you, when it comes to Anderson, even the Historians will have looked at him most probably.
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    And I think a lot of people on CamChat should get more normal sleeping patterns :p:
    Sleep is majorly overrated :p: There too many things to fit into a day to waste unecessary extra time sleeping.
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    the plants are fine, they're not getting in our way at all And I erged, rather than go to the play, sadly, so i don't know. how are you getting on with everything you need to do?
    Ah.. glad the plants are happy. Speak to them - apparently that improves their growth :p:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    One college that I really don't like the look of is King's - I find the chapel out of place and clashes with everything around it. And I don't like the spire-y bits at the front.
    I like Kings. I hate Downing :p:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Probably won't be able to do 12th of Jan
    Priorities :dry: Anyway, I long ago learnt not to bother making plans around you since you can't ever make anything :p:
    (Original post by Tom)
    You've missed a Johnian linguist fresher who posted in here a few times....forget what they were called....was an odd name, like 'Gloop' or something....
    Ah yes. Well spotted. the_gluups. Although I thought she was doing the Double Maitrise.
    (Original post by Tom)
    15 books? Foolish person :no:
    Lol! Well I really need to do all of them And also its nice to have the choice of which work to do in the moment :p: But yeh, a tad unrealistic I'll grant you.
    (Original post by Tom)
    'Craggy' is better :cool:
    Than my name? Thanks :rolleyes:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Don't you just love how everything is laid out into 3 points with a semi-conclusion and then a summary of all the main points at the end of chapters? :yep:

Some of the classical sociologists could learn from this EG MARX :hmpf:
    Oh yeh, totally know the feeling :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    You forgot me
    I think I remembered a pretty impressive number of people and their colleges off the bat (nearly 50)!
    (Original post by Y__)
    In case anyone is actually keeping this list up to date: Fitz mathmo, 1st year :yep: .
    Ugh this is now getting silly :p: I created the list after LH123 commented that Fitz was underepresented, in order to get an idea of how many of the colleges are represented by TSRers. I'm not trying to list where everyone goes, but rather to see which colleges don't have any TSRers posting - which seems clear by now.
    And on topic...
    I have done work in all the slots of time where I haven't had anything else on, but this has amounted to about two chapters of reading Since term ended I've been shepherding, gymning, cooking, shopping and travelling.. and its pretty difficult to get stuff done here in Bristol because my family constantly shout 'Chenda come make mince pies/Chenda come watch x with us/Chenda come sing carols with us/Chenda join us for some piella at a friend's party in a Spanish bar/Chenda dash out and by some milk etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Boring things about fitness
    I skimmed that, and the word "halibut" caused a momentary :wtf?:
    :o:

I like Kings. I hate Downing :p:
    Downing is peculiar and neo-classical :sadnod:

Priorities :dry: Anyway, I long ago learnt not to bother making plans around you since you can't ever make anything :p:
    :o: Depends how long it goes on for. It's plough monday, so I have other commitments. I will try to come later in the evening, I don't know when I'll be able to get a lift back into Cambriidge.

Ah yes. Well spotted. the_gluups. Although I thought she was doing the Double Maitrise.
    She is definably doing law of one kind or another. And I don't think there is an _, I believe it is "thegluups".

I have done work in all the slots of time where I haven't had anything else on, but this has amounted to about two chapters of reading Since term ended I've been shepherding, gymning, cooking, shopping and travelling.. and its pretty difficult to get stuff done here in Bristol because my family constantly shout 'Chenda come make mince pies/Chenda come watch x with us/Chenda come sing carols with us/Chenda join us for some piella at a friend's party in a Spanish bar/Chenda dash out and by some milk etc etc etc [/COLOR]
    It sounds nice :o: I have realised that I really don't want to be here, which is a bit sad. I think that I have matured a tad over my gap year, which is a scary and unpleasant thought Ah well, I expect I'll feel better by Christmas. Need to buy some presents first.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds nice :o: I have realised that I really don't want to be here, which is a bit sad. I think that I have matured a tad over my gap year, which is a scary and unpleasant thought Ah well, I expect I'll feel better by Christmas. Need to buy some presents first.
    Where is 'here'?

Edit: grief, living in college all year round really spoils me it seems. I'm so not used to slow internet :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Where is 'here'?

Edit: grief, living in college all year round really spoils me it seems. I'm so not used to slow internet :dry:
    'here' is St Albans :o:

And :console: for slow internet That would kill me slowly over time methinks.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

I got used to being able to run updates quickly every night before switching off, but now they take a slightly annoying amount of time, so I have to remember to do them in the middle of the day

ReputationRep:
    'here' is St Albans :o:

And :console: for slow internet That would kill me slowly over time methinks.
    Yes :rolleyes:

.. but do you mean your home, your family, your town... etc etc etc.
    I love being with my family, but I knew I wouldn't much enjoy living in South Africa independently, which is why I moved.
    Anyway, small visits at Christmas or whenever are hardly a huge sacrifice if you're not happy there. After Uni you'll get a job and do whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    :ditto:

I got used to being able to run updates quickly every night before switching off, but now they take a slightly annoying amount of time, so I have to remember to do them in the middle of the day
    Mine automatically updates. Very annoying - sometimes I have to tell it not to when it interrupts me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes :rolleyes:

.. but do you mean your home, your family, your town... etc etc etc.
    I love being with my family, but I knew I wouldn't much enjoy living in South Africa independently, which is why I moved.
    Anyway, small visits at Christmas or whenever are hardly a huge sacrifice if you're not happy there. After Uni you'll get a job and do whatever you like.
    I don't know, somehow the thought of having nothing to do, the opportunity of lazing around doesn't appeal. Home and St Albans seem boring, mundane. The family are all right of course, but we are beginning to go our separate ways. Anyway.

I need to go to bed. Apart from anything my parents have this mad idea that I should be awake before midday, which irks me somewhat. Also I have been rereading the Patrick O'Brian books, and am only on number 5/20

(Original post by Tom)
    Something or other
    Craggy said that you liked the Aubrey Maturin books as well?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.