Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right lads and lassies, I'm off to India for my holiday, so I'll see you all in the New Year! Byeee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I cooked a ham today, and did the whole giblet/gravy malarky with a turkey. Fun stuff.

How many of you accept the sentence "Who posh've I been talking to?" (used very informally)
    i have problems. i read 'posh' and i thought 'victoria beckham'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    I have no idea what this means.
    'Who have I been talking to that is posh?'

Sounds better out loud and in context, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    'Who have I been talking to that is posh?'

Sounds better out loud and in context, I guess.
    What's the significance of it? Who cares how one says something as long as the meaning is understood :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    What's the significance of it? Who cares how one says something as long as the meaning is understood :confused:
    I didn't post it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    txt spk aok?? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    I didn't post it :confused:
    Yeh I was just saying it in general.

ReputationRep:
    I understand it now! It had me really confused for a while.

But yeah. If someone said it to me out loud I'd understand them. Pretty much every time I say 'have' I contract it to 've' anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I understood

Mebbeez am just propa common wif me speakin though :p:

ReputationRep:
    You should see ulster scots written down..
    http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/uscots_hpthw.pdf
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emilY?)
    Mebbeez am just propa common wif me speakin though :p:
    It's not "wif", it's "wiv". :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It's not "wif", it's "wiv". :p:
    Bah, I say wif sometimes :p:

Its bad when I become too lazy to pronounce "th"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    txt spk aok?? :p:
    Yes, unfortunately :hmpf: *reports post* :p:

ReputationRep:
    *runs away*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    *runs away*
    Well you always were on thin ice, flagrantly traipsing about in our thread :huff:
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwiko)
    Lol, what is the point of that really? Fair enough, there are people over here who speak like that, but we would never write any official documents in dialect for them... Surely the Ulster Scots could read standard english, even if they don't speak it often?

ReputationRep:
    Point? Absolutely none! [Officially I guess it's keeping of the heritage/culture etc] As far as I can tell it's just the phonetical spelling of how the accent sounds... But it's still fun..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwiko)
    That.is.so.cool. I thought Middle Scots was crazy, but that's hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cares, apart from people who are trying to work out how language works. Linguists often have trouble explaining to people that they're interested in natural language, rather than language that conforms to presciptive rules of "correctness", as it's the unconcious rules that they're trying to work out. (this may sound like science tainted by politics, but this is not the case - it's actually the only real way to go about descriptive linguistics) Anyway, the sentence is something I said naturally, and if part of my grammar (which it sort of is) it's theoretically interesting, so I was wondering who accepted it as part of theirs. Regarding texting: see David Crystal's book txting, which destroys a lot of the myths about it.

Things like the Ulster Scots orthography are really just to create a linguistic identity, but that doesn't stop them being hilarious to speakers of other dialects. (and possibly even speakers of Ulster Scots, actually...)

ReputationRep:
    The sentence does make perfect sense, as a contraction of "which posh person have I been talking to?", at least to me. Probably wouldn't even notice it's not grammatically correct if you were speaking rather than presenting it as text

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Corpus Christi College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    Pembroke College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.