The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3820
Tom
The sentence does make perfect sense, as a contraction of "which posh person have I been talking to?", at least to me. Probably wouldn't even notice it's not grammatically correct if you were speaking rather than presenting it as text

:ditto:

It looks odd written down, but then so does probably everything people say.
Tom
The sentence does make perfect sense, as a contraction of "which posh person have I been talking to?", at least to me. Probably wouldn't even notice it's not grammatically correct if you were speaking rather than presenting it as text

Meaning that in your personal grammar it is grammatically correct - linguistics is the study of language as people use it, rather than of the antiquated and often inadequate system of fabricated rules you may get told to follow. Of course, it's often necessary to follow various rules and conventions when using language (especially written) for particular purposes.
Reply 3822
I wish that stupid helicopter would give up and fly away :hmpf: I've had enough noise for one day. There are six children in the house, and another five will arrive tomorrow :dry:
Reply 3823
Craghyrax
I wish that stupid helicopter would give up and fly away :hmpf: I've had enough noise for one day. There are six children in the house, and another five will arrive tomorrow :dry:

Try and start some sort of tribal conflict between the two groups :yep: Then, of course, tie the victorious group up and hide them in the shed. Or give them a console to play with or something, however your morals hang is fine with me :p:
Reply 3824
Gesar
Try and start some sort of tribal conflict between the two groups :yep: Then, of course, tie the victorious group up and hide them in the shed. Or give them a console to play with or something, however your morals hang is fine with me :p:

Sadly all of your options lead to more noise :frown: I've had a week to experiment :rolleyes:
Anthony's arriving tomorrow :p:
I overexaggerated the number of children. I still think of my cousins as kids even though Anthony, Jess, Sam, Tom and Katya are all 15 or older :s-smilie:

I might be the one to escape to the shed, given how crowded this house will be :p:
Reply 3825
Craghyrax
Sadly all of your options lead to more noise :frown: I've had a week to experiment :rolleyes:
Anthony's arriving tomorrow :p:
I overexaggerated the number of children. I still think of my cousins as kids even though Anthony, Jess, Sam, Tom and Katya are all 15 or older :s-smilie:

I might be the one to escape to the shed, given how crowded this house will be :p:

You're calling your 18 year old cousin a child? :p:

When my house gets noisy, particularly when I hear my name being called, I just turn my music up and hope they give up the chase...
Reply 3826
Gesar
You're calling your 18 year old cousin a child? :p:

He hasn't changed much :dontknow: Still looks the same.. just a bit taller. And its weird that he's at Uni :>.<:
Gesar

When my house gets noisy, particularly when I hear my name being called, I just turn my music up and hope they give up the chase...

Lol. They must love that. Admittedy I often wait for the person to come to where I am :p:
Reply 3827
[QUOTE="Craghyrax"]Lol. They must love that.

It's amazing how often you're called for something inconsequential :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 3828
Gesar
It's amazing how often you're called for something inconsequential :rolleyes: :p:

Usually people want me to do stuff. Today hoovering and making pastry. Tomorrow probably loads of making beds and preparing food. This is one of the benefits of living mostly alone :^^:

Oh... and no work has happened, which is quite worrying :frown:
Craghyrax
Yeh you don't like it much do you :p:

Why don't you use your laptop at home? :s-smilie:

My Grandmother was sleeping in the only room where I can get signal for a wireless network when I posted that :hmpf:

Craghyrax
He hasn't changed much :dontknow: Still looks the same.. just a bit taller. And its weird that he's at Uni :>.<:

I think that observation would ring true for a number of relatives I know :rolleyes:

Belated Christmas wishes everyone, mine was no better than OK sadly. Still, the turkey was all right, not dry, perhaps a little tough in places though. Sausages were a bit of a close shave, however they worked out for the best. Gravy could have been thicker. Other than that, no problems.

Opening presents I found a massive pain though :hmpf:
Reply 3830
ukebert
My Grandmother was sleeping in the only room where I can get signal for a wireless network when I posted that :hmpf:

How rude :s-smilie:
ukebert
Belated Christmas wishes everyone, mine was no better than OK sadly. Still, the turkey was all right, not dry, perhaps a little tough in places though. Sausages were a bit of a close shave, however they worked out for the best. Gravy could have been thicker. Other than that, no problems.

Opening presents I found a massive pain though :hmpf:
Sorry to hear it :frown: I'm in the middle of a sort of second Christmas, as all the relatives have come together this evening :king1: I've just got loads of extra presents too, which I'm not complaining about :p:
Craghyrax
How rude :s-smilie:

To be fair to her, that was the only room in which she could sleep :p:

Sorry to hear it :frown: I'm in the middle of a sort of second Christmas, as all the relatives have come together this evening :king1: I've just got loads of extra presents too, which I'm not complaining about :p:

Yeah, we had that today. Presents can be nice, and I had one good one today, but in general unless they are particularly personal ones, I'd rather not have them.

Oh, and I will have 10 full days to do work before I go back. This scares me, deeply. :s-smilie:

And my college bill came in, much better than I was expecting :biggrin: I spent £5.30 odd in the bar :o:
Reply 3832
Lol I'll probably have spent loads in the bar on red bulls :dry:

Why don't you like presents? :confused:

And what happened to good old fashioned couches!? :huff: :p:
Craghyrax
Lol I'll probably have spent loads in the bar on red bulls :dry:

Why don't you like presents? :confused:

And what happened to good old fashioned couches!? :huff: :p:

She is over 80, I'm not sure a couch (or "sofa") would do her any good :wink:

It's difficult to say. It's not presents that I don't like, it's the idea of an obligation to give them, the act of giving and receiving them, and the knowledge that I could have spent the money much more effectively. It's the fact that many of said presents I will not in fact care for. Indeed I am fairly difficult to buy for, about the only thing that I want under a few hundred pounds are books. Generally I'm better off buying them myself.

The sort of presents that I like are spontaneous and thought out. And I know that is an oxymoron.
Reply 3834
It's not an oxymoron.
A contradiction in terms then? :smile:
I'm not someone who cares :cool:
Reply 3837
Zoedotdot
A contradiction in terms then? :smile:

nope! :p:
Reply 3838
Just "contradictory", then.

Although I think "contradiction in terms" works if you accept that "spontaneous" and "thought-out" count as "terms" for something, rather than just plain ordinary words.
:yawn:

Bed.

Latest

Trending

Trending