Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Just "contradictory", then.

Although I think "contradiction in terms" works if you accept that "spontaneous" and "thought-out" count as "terms" for something, rather than just plain ordinary words.
    Hmm, that's how I was defining them, because 'contradiction in terms' sounds cooler than contradictory And they are terms of a sort, because ukey was giving, well, terms, for the type of present that he'd like :p:

My coherence skyrockets when I'm tired :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How long does the unplanned thought of 'X likes dogs, that random and surprising toydogmadeoutofcaninescrotalhair I this second espy I shall buy' on walking past a shop display take? I suppose you could argue over externalities. Of course you can't link spontaneous directly to Christmas, but I took the point to be more general.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Oh, and I will have 10 full days to do work before I go back. This scares me, deeply.
    :eek: Better get on with it! :work:

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just had a fantastic day (although it didn't start out wonderful)
    I'm shattered now though, and trying to retain sufficient sentience to pack. Tomorrows going to be a long, nasty train journey departing at noon.

I got some more awesome presents from the family today, including an awesome huge wooly jumpery thing handcrafted in Nepal or something and a lovely aqua-ish blue, and this compact designer messkit set thing for hiking. Its grey and pink and has a spork, a miniature chopping board and other cool small containery things inside it.

I suspect I won't be online again for a bit :yawn:

(Original post by Thicky)
    How long does the unplanned thought of 'X likes dogs, that random and surprising toydogmadeoutofcaninescrotalhair I this second espy I shall buy' on walking past a shop display take? I suppose you could argue over externalities. Of course you can't link spontaneous directly to Christmas, but I took the point to be more general.
    Um what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Wow. Just had a fantastic day (although it didn't start out wonderful)
    I'm shattered now though, and trying to retain sufficient sentience to pack. Tomorrows going to be a long, nasty train journey departing at noon.

I got some more awesome presents from the family today, including an awesome huge wooly jumpery thing handcrafted in Nepal or something and a lovely aqua-ish blue, and this compact designer messkit set thing for hiking. Its grey and pink and has a spork, a miniature chopping board and other cool small containery things inside it.

I suspect I won't be online again for a bit :yawn:

Um what?
    :o:

Sounds like some thoughtful presents!

ReputationRep:
    I feel like moaning, I'm posting here because camchat is better than H&R. I feel SO rubbish and SO depressed. It must be post-Christmas blues or something. I do not understand why I'm so lazy. I feel there are so many things I'm capable of, yet just don't do. I've spent most of this month making mental lists of the gazillion things I need to do (work/personal/self improvementy things/orgainsational things) and then saying ':santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: it' and curling up somewhere feeling rubbish for hours. Everything's pising me off these days and I'm snapping at everyone and at the same time feel inadequate on about a million levels. I had a really fun mich. term; probably the best ever because i had started to feel really happy but the holidays have been a total downer. i blame it on spending hours on facebook (not something i do in term) and looking through the profiles of girls who seriously seem to have it all (though not seeming to have to work nearly as hard as i do) whilst i'm stuck here slaving over a degree (and not doing amazingly well either) with zilch career prospects (i have no idea what to do with my life) and will probs be rejected for all my masters courses or something.

ugh. feel :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.

anyways i know people will say what I know I need to do which is to take a deep breath and start sorting out things one by one but I reckon I'm gonna go stare at the ceiling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I feel like moaning, I'm posting here because camchat is better than H&R. I feel SO rubbish and SO depressed. It must be post-Christmas blues or something. I do not understand why I'm so lazy. I feel there are so many things I'm capable of, yet just don't do. I've spent most of this month making mental lists of the gazillion things I need to do (work/personal/self improvementy things/orgainsational things) and then saying ':santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: it' and curling up somewhere feeling rubbish for hours. Everything's pising me off these days and I'm snapping at everyone and at the same time feel inadequate on about a million levels. I had a really fun mich. term; probably the best ever because i had started to feel really happy but the holidays have been a total downer. i blame it on spending hours on facebook (not something i do in term) and looking through the profiles of girls who seriously seem to have it all (though not seeming to have to work nearly as hard as i do) whilst i'm stuck here slaving over a degree (and not doing amazingly well either) with zilch career prospects (i have no idea what to do with my life) and will probs be rejected for all my masters courses or something.

ugh. feel :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.

anyways i know people will say what I know I need to do which is to take a deep breath and start sorting out things one by one but I reckon I'm gonna go stare at the ceiling.
    This is never good. That, and 'appearances can be deceiving' (which I'm sure you know anyway), is all I have to contribute I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, thanks. I've just read over my rant and I realise how silly I sounded. I have now had a cuppa and some chocolate and feel loads better.

:o:

ReputationRep:
    Well, if nothing else I have proved that I need not the internet or indeed books to procrastinate. I've just designed a double ended crab claw rigged ocean going yacht instead of doing work. *sigh* Well, I've thought about the interior at least and some of the steering mechanisms, which is the limit of my ability at present.

I did have a fairly productive session after lunch, doing half of my computing paper, but there is just so much to do. More worryingly, I have no motivation at all to do it. Even the thought of the mock is not inspiring me to work. Ah well, I'll try and do some after tea. 9 days of work left

ReputationRep:
    ukebert, this is your mother speaking :hmmm: Get to work! :security: :poke:
    *dangles a crate of chelsea buns just out of reach*

(Original post by K.T.)
    This is never good. That, and 'appearances can be deceiving' (which I'm sure you know anyway), is all I have to contribute I'm afraid.
    :ditto:, but more importantly STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Its a very silly thing to do. We all do it, but you ought to go on some sort of diet for it :p:

(Original post by Thicky)
    Sounds like some thoughtful presents!
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well, if nothing else I have proved that I need not the internet or indeed books to procrastinate. I've just designed a double ended crab claw rigged ocean going yacht instead of doing work. *sigh* Well, I've thought about the interior at least and some of the steering mechanisms, which is the limit of my ability at present.
    I did five questions today The most work I've done in one sitting so far since September! I even went so far as to start another question and conclude that it made no sense :yep: Though today I also made an origami penguin and designed two computer programs on paper to avoid doing the work.

ReputationRep:
    I have done no work since getting home after the interviews, and I have 4 days in which to do it before training camp/going away. :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. oh well at least it's revision rather than questions (well apart form v&m 4 which I can't do, excellent)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I did five questions today The most work I've done in one sitting so far since September! I even went so far as to start another question and conclude that it made no sense :yep: Though today I also made an origami penguin and designed two computer programs on paper to avoid doing the work.
    I did design two computer programs on paper, but haven't got round to downloading a compiler to see whether they work or not :p: I did do lots of questions, but they were very easy I have all the hard stuff still to do

ukebert, this is your mother speaking :hmmm: Get to work! :security: :poke:
    *dangles a crate of chelsea buns just out of reach*

:ditto:, but more importantly STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Its a very silly thing to do. We all do it, but you ought to go on some sort of diet for it :p:

:yep:
    *grabs*
    *misses*
    *wails*

It was a good yacht though :puppyeyes:

Although the only way I could get a table into such a confined space was to put it over the hob. Which might prove troublesome :dry: Plus I'm pretty sure that I haven't allowed enough room for the mast counterweights, or the bow and stern reserve buoyancy, or indeed the patent pivoting rudders :p: And how the mechanism for same will like being kept in the bilges I do not know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    I have done no work since getting home after the interviews, and I have 4 days in which to do it before training camp/going away. :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:. oh well at least it's revision rather than questions (well apart form v&m 4 which I can't do, excellent)
    Training camp?

ReputationRep:
    Training camp?
    for rugby :yep:

which is actually going to kill me, I haven't done contact for about 7 weeks now :o:

but our varsity game is like less 10 weeks away :woo:

ReputationRep:
    As I've said, work is for the weak, and third years. Stay strong!

ReputationRep:
    the patent pivoting rudders :p:
    Patent? I think you'll struggle to find a rudder which doesn't pivot :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Patent? I think you'll struggle to find a rudder which doesn't pivot :p:
    I should have said pat pending

And I should explain that this is a joke design, crab claw rig that shunts rather than tacks. This should theoretically mean a rudder at both ends, so I've got them pivoting up. Or rather, I would have them slide up, but the counterweights for the variable rake masts are in the way, so I've got them turning 90 degrees. How I can get away with minimal turbulence around the rudder slot I have no idea however, I may have to rethink that bit. Simplest way would be to have a rubber seal, like you do with dinghies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    for rugby :yep:

which is actually going to kill me, I haven't done contact for about 7 weeks now :o:

but our varsity game is like less 10 weeks away :woo:
    Ah nice one :cool: - and that's understandable; you needed to recover from your injury!

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice one :cool: - and that's understandable; you needed to recover from your injury!
    It was annoying though, I ended up missing 4 games in 3 weeks :mad:

and keep 7th March free, I will force you all to come to our varsity match!!!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.