Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Grr.

An evening's work has resulted in a program which returns no errors, but seemingly does nothing. While this is a step up from my previous efforts which returned lots of errors while doing nothing, it's not quite the program that does something while returning no errors that I was hoping for...

ReputationRep:
    Okay, question. Which colleges still have porters wearing bowler hats? Selwyn does... who else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Okay, question. Which colleges still have porters wearing bowler hats? Selwyn does... who else?
    Our porters have bowler hats. They don't wear them all the time, but they definitely exist.

I've had the loveliest day ignoring my heaps of work

Smiiiile everyone

ReputationRep:
    Ours have bowler hats but they hardly ever wear them

Is it Trinity's who like, ALWAYS wear them?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen Trinity porters with them on, never seen one of our porters with one.

ReputationRep:
    Downing porters wear them on special occasions like graduation day.

ReputationRep:
    Well, goodbye everyone... I've realised I'm really not cut out for this place at all and have absolutely no hope of getting anything out of it, and my Director of Studies and tutor all seems to agree with me... so I'm not going to be here next term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C2H5OH)
    Well, goodbye everyone... I've realised I'm really not cut out for this place at all and have absolutely no hope of getting anything out of it, and my Director of Studies and tutor all seems to agree with me... so I'm not going to be here next term.

Go off and be really happy somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck C2H5OH

ReputationRep:

You''re definitely leaving? :sad: I'm really sorry to hear this, C2H5OH. The staircase won't be the same without you. I hope you find somewhere where you can fulfil your potential and be happy and make sure you come visit us in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    You''re definitely leaving? :sad: I'm really sorry to hear this, C2H5OH. The staircase won't be the same without you. I hope you find somewhere where you can fulfil your potential and be happy and make sure you come visit us in the future.
    Lol, the staircase will be better i'm sure! i never made it out of my room anyways... as for what I'm going to do, i don't honestly know... shelf stacking at tescos is probably all i'm up to really! haha.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, the staircase will be better i'm sure! i never made it out of my room anyways... as for what I'm going to do, i don't honestly know... shelf stacking at tescos is probably all i'm up to really! haha.
    Nah, your late-night heavy metal, your observations about politics... the little things make a big difference! Plus don't say that... The admissions tutors deemed you good enough to get into Cambridge and even though it may not have been for you, they still recognised that you have great intellectual potential. I'm sure once you give it some thought you'll find something rewarding that you'll really be happy doing. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Don't diss shelf-stacking :hmmm: Its a perfectly respectable student job for the holidays!
    There's no need to be that pessimistic. Cambridge and Oxford are really pressurised and competitive environments, obsessed with ensuring that they're 'the best'. That can easily make people quite unhappy, and you're certainly not the first to feel that way. The fact that you don't do well in that environment doesn't reflect on your ability in any way at all.I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a good course in a more relaxed environment elsewhere - the most important thing is your happiness. Its a bit ironic to scupper that happiness by repeatedly kicking yourself just as you've succeeded in making a brave and sensible decision about your future that will ultimately raise your happiness. Put it behind you, don't let yourself spend time on negative thoughts. Just get on with embracing the next phase

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

and if anyone can tell me a good reason why I want to go back and do some more numbers and sets revision let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

and if anyone can tell me a good reason why I want to go back and do some more numbers and sets revision let me know!
    So you can pass your exam --> Carrying on with course, because you're pleased with results --> Revising well for first year exams --> Getting first --> Revising well for 2nd/3rd/4th(?) year exams and get a first --> Get a successful & well paid career and move up the ranks --> Marry someone super attractive because you're rich --> Have beautiful and perfect children --> Live a happy life --> Die in the best retirement home money can buy.

Perhaps.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So you can pass your exam --> Carrying on with course, because you're pleased with results --> Revising well for first year exams --> Getting first --> Revising well for 2nd/3rd/4th(?) year exams and get a first --> Get a successful & well paid career and move up the ranks --> Marry someone super attractive because you're rich --> Have beautiful and perfect children --> Live a happy life --> Die in the best retirement home money can buy.

Perhaps.
    :rofl: That's one way of seeing it but I don't see that happening for me even with revision. :p:

ReputationRep:

Perhaps.
    hahahaha hummm can't I just marry someone rich and attractive? this means that I don't have to revise the god awful subject that is numbers and sets ... and the chances of me getting a first are probably 1/n as n tends to infinity :o:

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha hummm can't I just marry someone rich and attractive? this means that I don't have to revise the god awful subject that is numbers and sets ... and the chances of me getting a first are probably 1/n as n tends to infinity :o:
    Are you a mathmo too?! I'm not alone!

And don't revise numbers and sets - I'm not Just do really well in Dynamics (Our DoS actually told us that - if we really don't like it don't bother :p:) But only for one subject. You must do really well in all the others or you'll be fed to the porters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Are you a mathmo too?! I'm not alone!

And don't revise numbers and sets - I'm not Just do really well in Dynamics (Our DoS actually told us that - if we really don't like it don't bother :p:) But only for one subject. You must do really well in all the others or you'll be fed to the porters.
    yes I am for my sins :sigh:

Only one subject?? can I ignore one subject for each exam paper? that would be nice it appears I despise pure maths :o:

And the fact that I need a 2.i this year to stand any chance of getting an internship actually fills me with fear

ReputationRep:
    yes I am for my sins :sigh:

Only one subject?? can I ignore one subject for each exam paper? that would be nice it appears I despise pure maths :o:

And the fact that I need a 2.i this year to stand any chance of getting an internship actually fills me with fear
    What college are you from?

And no you can't ignore one from each exam paper :p: And Groups are awesome, don't diss 'em :P Though I am sadly better at applied maths, so I might end up doing that But Vectors and Matrices is revolting, so I don't see myself volunteering for more of that any time soon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.